A Final Fiasco for the last Windy Wednesday Nighter (long)

Fast Eddie

A Final Fiasco for the last Windy Wednesday Nighter (long)

Post by Fast Eddie »

Well, apparently we(never satisfied and me) can't catch a break. All was going so well, I had found some active fish while pre fishing and knew we could cash a check. Or so I thought. :shock: Apparently the Gods weren't smiling on us or me for that matter. Hooked up the boat and off to Ladds. Right after launch, my less than 1 year old boat and motor decide to throw me another curve. My partner gets in the boat, and off we go. Sort of. :lol: As we cruise past the yachts at Ladds, all of a sudden my tilt trim stops working. There are 2 switches up front, on the steering column, throttle control shifter, and the motor. All dead. :?: :!: WT heck is going on. it was just working. The gauge on the dash indicates the motor is tilted up all the way, and the mercury gauge says I'm at 25. WHAT? 25? I never trim past 6 or 7 when running, always trim down when starting. Never knew it could trim up to 25!? OK I'm confused. Motor looks like its down, so lower the hydraulic and of we go looking like a great white breaching the water. Once on plane, seems to be fine. Or so I thought. All of a sudden the motor starts shaking like its going to fall off the transom. OK. This is too much. Back off the throttle and the speed o is stuck at 40, and the gas gauge is still not working. (100 grand and after being admonished for an earlier post things just seem to be getting worse. Don't say anything cause you bass boat guys always are complaining and take it to your dealer blah blah blah. Is it wrong to drop that kind of dough and expect things to work?)
Anyway, we have to scrap the ride to where the fish are. No confidence in the motor now. Called Grag and he explained it was probably the tilt trim motor. He told me to tap it with a screw driver and that he's had a few of these motors go bad on the newer mercs. He tells me to call him back today. The Motors down and were in 10 feet of water. The motor he's talking about is blocked by the lower unit. Can't get to it while the motor's down. So from spot to spot we we travel and fish. Catch one here, and one there. Not the quality we were looking for or I had found. Did manage to get 1 about 3, my partner got 1 about 2 1/2. The others were barely 13. Took 15 and n'change to get a check I believe. 24.36 to win and 8.46 BF. Weights dropped after that 17.18, 16.41, 15.98, 15.4.
OK so as we cruise by Richard, I tell him what's been happening, he informs me there is a release and to lift the hydraulic all the way up when trailering. (Best investment was an Atlas Hydraulic jackplate although that will probably go next :lol: ) We get the boat on the trailer and into the parking lot we go. Now Richard had told me he would help with the release etc after weigh in. But my partner is a farmer. Thanks Never Satisfied, you're the man :) . We analyze, guess where the screw is and loosen the screw. The motor moves. 2 fellow WWNtrs come over and lift the motor so I can get the transom saver on. Whew. Looks like I'll be able to get back without damaging the hydraulic. Are the gods thru with me. NO Way! Talk about a tease. I'm wiping the boat down before I leave and brush the throttle trim. I hear a noise. I'll be darned. The motor seems to be working. (Its nice to know that your boat needs to be out of the water in order for the tilt trim to work. :lol: ) So off to the bran.
So to preface the finale, about a month ago, the key ring that held the trailer lock fell off my car keys. This means I'll have to use the spare, which I had attached to a floating key ring with all the keys to the boat. (glove box, hitch mounts etc.). By now you should see where this is heading. As I'm rolling down highway 4 it dawns on me to look for the trailer keys. YIKES! they're not in their stash compartment. Tear the truck apart at the gas station, NO KEYS. 9:30 at night, how am I going to detach the boat. Since loosing the first set of keys, and thinking about where they could be, the gods clear my mind and.........well you dummy, you locked the lock and left the ring on the bumper. What a Dumb A.(rhymes with bass) Meanwhile you prepped the boat for travel. DA, DA, DA.
So trailered the boat home, and it now sits in the drive way waiting for a lock smith or sawzall. Geez who said WWN nights was reasonable. This year it must have cost me a complete drain on my 401K :lol: Just kidding.
So with this being the last post for awhile (next will be the Dee Thomas open with Dan Mathisen) I bid you all a fond Adieu, and thank you all for reading these posts. It's been fun.
TL
FE
PS
Anybody want to buy a boat cheap? :D
185vsfrog

Re: A Final Fiasco for the last Windy Wednesday Nighter (long)

Post by 185vsfrog »

Damn bro you had some bad luck. I’ve seen people at the ramp trying to load boats with trim gone bad. Really tough to do. One thing you can do to stack things in your favor is to make two full extra sets of keys. One stays in the truck and one stays at home. I’ve done the same thing and lost my boat/trailer keys after a tournament and was in the same predicament. Good luck on your trim issue. Hope the fishing gods shine on you!
JL

Post by JL »

Fast Eddie! I really enjoy your stories and mishaps on WWN Tournaments! I have an idea for you and your partner. You two start doing what the bearded bassin guy used to do! If you two could capture all the drama you two had and may keep having? You guys would have a HELL of an audience! Think about it! :lol:
Bassjunkie17

Post by Bassjunkie17 »

I don't know about the newer motors, but I do know the optimax motors have an adjustable tilt sensor on the transom bracket. Maybe that sensor is loose and giving you the bad trim read, and if it's getting a faulty read, trim will not operate. Hopefully....
I'm no marine tech, just speaking from experience.
Good luck!
Fryle

Post by Fryle »

Man this story just made me think buying a 100K$ boat is definitely not worth it. Ya they look cool, that’s the point lol. I have a 1989 bass tracker TX17 with a Johnson 70HP I had rebuilt and the thing is a tank for the last 4 yrs straight fishing almost every single weekend literally year around. I’ll never have the $ to buy a 100,000$ boat anyway but sounds like that might be a good thing lol. After my rebuild I’ve never had any problems at all.