Violations at this week’s MLF event at Mille Lacs Lake

WB Staff

Violations at this week’s MLF event at Mille Lacs Lake

Post by WB Staff »

violations at this week’s event at Mille Lacs Lake.jpg

ONAMIA, Minn. – Major League Fishing Bass Pro Tour Tournament Director Aaron Beshears issued the following statement today regarding the inadvertent Minnesota Department of Natural Resources fishing regulation violations at this week’s event at Mille Lacs Lake:

MLF Bass Pro Tour Rule No. 33 permits an angler to utilize a second line once per period. It was an oversight that this rule directly violated Minnesota DNR fishing regulations, and we did not properly communicate that to the anglers this week. Upon being made aware of the regulation, we immediately informed all Bass Pro Tour anglers in the competition that they were to immediately cease using two lines for the remainder of the event.

We contacted the Minnesota DNR, who clarified the violations, and we’re working closely with them to ensure that we’re in full alignment with state fish and game regulations.

Bass Pro Tour anglers Jacob Wheeler and Alton Jones, Jr., have both received citations from the Minnesota DNR for violation of the two-line regulation. They have accepted responsibility, will pay their fines, and will face no further disciplinary action.

We apologize to the State of Minnesota, the Minnesota DNR, and the anglers and outdoorsmen and women of Minnesota, and we look forward to wrapping up our regular season in what has been a fantastic tournament for us here at Mille Lacs Lake.
gixxer464

Re: Violations at this week’s MLF event at Mille Lacs Lake

Post by gixxer464 »

What exactly is this 2 line rule that they are speaking of? Utilizing a second line??? Is it what I think it is? It can't be that simple? Or am I just that simple? Western Bass anglers, please educate me on this. Thanks.
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

Anybody?
4BlackBass

Post by 4BlackBass »

Yeah they will sometimes hook those small mouth and let them fire up the school. Then pick up another rod and drop a bait down. With the initial fish still hooked on the first rod. I have seen them do it a couple times. Doesnt look worth the hassle though.
GOODCHOICES

Post by GOODCHOICES »

Bass Pro Tour is changing some rules of traditional bass fishing. They let its anglers drop another line in the water when the school comes up with the hooked bass. I believe they can do it once each day of the tournament. MLF is trying its best to make bass fishing an entertainment sport. I suppose it could be entertaining watching an angler trying to land a couple of 4lb smallies at once.
WRB

Post by WRB »

No TD can over ride local and/or state fishing regulations. Minnesota it’s illegal to have 2 or more lines in the water when fishing, except Ice Fishing. The MLF contestants using 2 rods in the water were fined by the DNR. MLF decided not to DQ the anglers and that is what the issue is.
Tom
gixxer464

Post by gixxer464 »

Good to know. Thanks for the clarification everyone. Never heard of this rule in MLF. Never seen it utilized when watching MLF. I would agree that it would make for good T.V. trying to see them land 2 big fish at the same time. Time for a YouTube search.
Pat

Post by Pat »

I remember one event when Aaron Martens used that rule. Had a big smallie on a drop shot and it had a follower. He grabbed a second rod and dropped a bait in. The second one bit and he set the hook. He stuck the second rod between his legs and landed the first one. Managed to get it weighed and released and then landed the second one. All without a fish landing violation. What a circus!
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

SEPTEMBER 16, 2022 • MLF • BASS PRO TOUR
ONAMIA, Minn. – Major League Fishing (MLF) Executive Vice President and General Manager Don Rucks issued an updated statement today regarding the fishing regulation violations at this week’s event at Mille Lacs Lake:

Based on the response from fans and anglers, we realize that we have created some confusion regarding the two-line regulation at the Mille Lacs tournament, and we would like to clarify the situation.

Major League Fishing bears the full responsibility for what happened with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) violations.

As previously stated, MLF Bass Pro Tour Rule No. 33 permits an angler to utilize a second line once per period. It was an oversight that this rule directly violated the Minnesota DNR fishing regulations, and we did not properly communicate that to our anglers this week as we normally do. It is correct that two anglers received citations from the MN DNR, however, Major League Fishing takes full responsibility for those violations and the league will pay the fines that our anglers incurred.

The two-line rule was created as a compelling aspect of fishing to create excitement for the competitive and viewership experience. The rule, however, does not comply with Minnesota DNR regulations. This is MLF’s mistake.

Again, we sincerely apologize to the State of Minnesota, the Minnesota DNR, the outdoorsmen and women of Minnesota, and our Bass Pro Tour anglers for creating this conflict. We have implemented new processes to ensure this error does not occur again.