Tackle shops and service.....

Jeff Jewell

Re: Tackle shops and service.....

Post by Jeff Jewell »

I've always had a good experiance at the Hook. They don't know me from Adam either.. I just walk in and say " hey how's it going/" You guys got any of those XYZ lures" and I've always felt right at home..
When in Doubt " Set the Hook"
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Hey Bones, I have always had better service at Coyote or at Mel Cottons than either of the first two you mentioned..Of all the local shops I have stopped at I haven't found any that really give any better service than what I have recieved at the Hook..Of course I haven't tried them all yet..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

bassbones,

i know what you mean.................but........

......aren't you lucky since you LIVE @ Clear Lake. two GREAT LOCAL SHOPS! you got tackle it and limit out!!

i live in san francisco and everytime i am up there it's always nice to see how bob is doing. in exchange i always get a few tips on where to go and what has been working. i like to chat about his tournament season and how's it going etc,etc,... i guess there is something that attracts me to a specialty shop w/ great personel.

here in san francisco i go to Hi's tackle. they may not carry EVERYTHING, but if it exsist, they would do anything to help me get it or find another alternative.

take care, saLTIE-
Colebass

It's like any business

Post by Colebass »

that provides service, so give it and some don't! Sometimes folks forget that we are the customers! That doesn't mean we are always right!, but we are the CUSTOMERS! Just a little respect is all I ask.

Along with mention good things about the hook, I would include Oroville Outdoors, Outdoor ProShop in Santa Rosa and Phils Prop, in Redding! I have never shopped there, but I here good things about Valley Rod and Gun in Fresno.

I've been in Several Bass Pro Shops and I can tell you, it is impressive. You could be in there for days, because they have hunting and clothes. If you go into the one in Springfield, you can look through the collections of old tackle, guns and animal artifects. Then across the street the closeout and used tackle center, you can go crazy in there!

Just my .02
Dave Cole
Ken C.

Hey Boneman...

Post by Ken C. »

First off, it's gotta be week 2 now, eh :twisted: ? Hope you're hangin with the plan! You'll be glad you did!

Next, I've been to both of those shops you mentioned and I would have to say I agree with your perceptions - and I haven't been back for about two years now! I can say that at least when I go into the Hook, whoever is behind the counter acknowledges my presence, asks me if I need help (unfortunately I'm beyond help :lol: ) or whatever. Same with Dave's in Tracy and Troy's in West Sac. And they usually have what I'm looking for. Most times they will even attempt to help me out of the depths of my ignorance if I ask a question.

Similarly the several times I've been in BPS, I get greeted at the door by the guy with the clicker-counter. Lets say I go to the fishin' department and am just strolling down the isles. I guarantee that there will be one of the guys walking by the end of the isle if not walking down the isle. If I ask them a question about something they just give me a "pat answer" or seem puzzled by my question and tell me they'll send someone else over (who then never materializes!). I get the feeling they are there more for 'loss prevention' than for anything else.

Sure there are one or two guys that'll work there that know their stuff, but I think the majority of the folks working there won't be very knowledgable.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong if they do in fact come out here. They are great places to go visit for sure and yes sometimes they have good prices and certainly they are unsurpasseed for their variety of hunting and camping equipment!
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
Ron Hunnewell

Hey Bassbones

Post by Ron Hunnewell »

Not all businesses are the same. If you dont like the service OK but dont knock their inventory. All these local shops specialize in different things, and cater to there local cliantel. Try picking up some Salt Water tackle at a shop near Clear Lake. I have shopped at the 3 shops that you complained about FW has a very good selection for all species of fishing. Reeds is more geared to Salt Water, and Coyote has a great selection of all the latest Bass, Salt Water gear.

Now I am just joking when I say this..........................But..................Maybe they could tell that you needed a Smoke and they stayed clear of you ??? LOLOLO :lol:

I agree with you on the Customer Service point you made, If you dont like there service go elsewere.

Be Happy that you live next to the greatest Bass lake in California and you have some great Tackle shops around to get your gear.

I just hope someday I am as lucky as you are as to live on Clear Lake.

P.S. Stay off those rock piles in front of Rattlesnake, there is no fish on them :)
Clear Lake ...... Heaven on Earth
Blue_R70

Post by Blue_R70 »

I've experienced great customer service at Walton's Pond, Hi's Tackle Box, The Hook and Troy's. A good shop is more than just a place to buy your gear and get out--it kinda becomes a hangout spot to BS and tell stories and you always feel welcome there. That's the atmosphere you'll find at the smaller specialty shops versus the more impersonal.big box stores

You know if you've found a good shop when:
* you're greeted by your name
* they ask if you want to go in on a pizza during lunch
* the employees become your fishing chums
* they'll work on a problem rod or reel at no charge
* let you run up a tab
basstamer

Re: Hey Bassbones

Post by basstamer »

I agree bones-BRING ON BPS!!!
CZ

Post by CZ »

I agree fishermans wharehouse is not bass fisherman friendly,they may treat the salt guys nice, butI never once ever felt comfortable in there shop. Coyote Bait and Tackle though is just great, Denise has always been nice and here staff likes to fish for bass. It's not the largest shop, but they usually have the new hot baits in and have great selections of gear that bass guys like.
Riplip

Post by Riplip »

Hey Bones, I gotta agree with ya, at least in the sense of customer service and in stock items. After spending twenty two years in retail, I think I can spot a poor operation pretty easily. You gotta know your client base, what they want & how to give it to them. I think in true capitolistic sense, the strong will survive when the big boys come to town...

In a side note, it's been nearly two weeks for me now. I am over the shakes, but I still wake up several time a night needing a "fix". (for those of you who don't know, I agreed to quit buying any fishing related stuff for six weeks in support of Bassbones) I have an upcoming event on the delta, and I am haunted by my lack of certain key baits. It will be tough. I will hang tough. I will get through this. I really don't need a Bully Wa!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
If you always do what you did, you will always get what you got!

www.californiaresrvoirlures.com
Ron Hunnewell

Post by Ron Hunnewell »

All those pegs were empty because I was out buying all there good stuff. :D

Keep up the good. Take it one day at a time.

Best of luck to you,
Ron
Clear Lake ...... Heaven on Earth
Mr B

Give Outdoor Pro Shop in RP A Try....

Post by Mr B »

Ken keeps a full staff their daily. They are all fishremen and very helpful. Scott and the guys keep the pegs full and are very helpful with rigging and helpful hints to the local bites.
If you find yourself near Rohnert Park drop into the Outdoor Pro Shop. They will take care of you.

And no, I am in no way associated with this location.

Mr B
troymaggy

Post by troymaggy »

Wow! Im honored to have had my store mentioned so many times in this thread. I will be the first to admit that after openning my store I have not done everything right. But the one thing you can be assured of is that I have made alot of great friends. I am nowhere near being a BPS nor a Fishermans Warehouse, nor will I ever be. But the enviroment that we have created makes being in this business pretty special. For most that come to my store, you know that I am relocating. Im not going far, actually in the same shopping center. After this move is made, it will allow me to provide better service as well as selection. So, for all of you that have been patient through this whole process I should have the store totally moved by mid June. I look forward to seeing you guys for lunch. Thanks again for the king words!
Lance

Post by Lance »

Ok Bassbones check this out....

You wrote "and a bag of Robos for $4.99 WTF"

This weekend at Clear lake the wife ran into the tackle section at the marina and picked up 3 bags off Senkos and one bag of Brushhogs. When she got back to the boat and "supprised me" " Look honey, look at what I bought you"........It was a damn good thing I had my life jacket on because I went overboard. 9.95 for a bag of 5 in Senkos and 9.95 for brushhogs for a total cost of 41 bucks!!!!!!!!! But hey, let me tell ya, we really enjoyed out 2 ice creams for 8 bucks

Koa
Bondo

Post by Bondo »

Bones,
Bro I know how you feel. The fisherman’s in Fresno is the same with customer service. And they still haven't updated there website to reflect there new address. I even set an e-mail to there admin a month ago and no response. WTF. The do have a great selection. But if your not there to donate your first borne for a reel or the latest 3k graph they don't know you. On the Other hand Valley Rod and Gun is an awesome place. Everyone is friendly and knowledgeable. And they have midrange gear for the average working man. Thanks for putting the San Jose store on blast. I have to go to Stanford tomorrow and I was going to stop there but now I won't waste my time. I will just head to valley on Saturday to get a few last minute things before I head to the DELTA Sunday.

Bondo
I fish the River.
Ken C.

Bondo...

Post by Ken C. »

If yer going from Stanford over to the delta, stop in at Walton's. They are very close to the 780/580 (or is it 280?) interchange. I don't get by there much, but every time I've gone in there I'm treated like I'm one of the 'regulars'. And I appologize for leaving out Walton's Pond in my previous posts about customer service. If I had to rate them all I would have to declare a tie: Hook Line & Sinker, Troy's, Daves Bass Shack, Walton's Pond. Not to leave out Extreme Outdoors, I just haven't been there so I can't really comment.

But again if you are heading from Stanford to the Delta, if you go across either the S&M or Dumbarton bridge you will go by Walton's, and depending on which way you go to the Delta from there you'll be going by either Dave's in Tracy or The Hook (and Extreme Outdoors) in Oakley or at Russo's which is a 5 minute putt from Franks Tract. 8)
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
Bondo

Re: Bondo...

Post by Bondo »

Thanks for the tip. But I am coming back to lemoore after Stanford by way of 152. Not heading to the Delta untill Late saturday night. Going to try my hand at the Federation Duel out of LADDS on Sunday.
Bondo
I fish the River.

Walton's Pond

Post by Guest »

That's the 238, it connects 880 with 580. The exit would be Washington Blvd., not sure if you can exit off 238 eastbound though. I know you can westbound. Go north on Washington Blvd. maybe 1/2 mi. Walton's is in a small shopping center on the left, across from a Union 76 gas station I believe.

Great service, and Jon is always willing to help out.

Joe
billythekidd44

Re: Give Outdoor Pro Shop in RP A Try....

Post by billythekidd44 »

Mr B wrote:Ken keeps a full staff their daily. They are all fishremen and very helpful. Scott and the guys keep the pegs full and are very helpful with rigging and helpful hints to the local bites.
If you find yourself near Rohnert Park drop into the Outdoor Pro Shop. They will take care of you.

And no, I am in no way associated with this location.

Mr B
I agree,great shop and great people.
TomAtkeson

Post by TomAtkeson »

I cant speak for any other tackle shops other than Extreme Outdoorsman (formerly Extreme Angler) and The Hook, I worked at Extreme for nearly a year before I had to leave for Coast Guard boot camp, and have shoped at both for a number of years Extreme Since it opened.

I never had a problem with either giving me poor customer service, Ive been welcomed upon entering each by the staff and asked if I needed any thing...well except Extreme because I worked there and the staff knows that I know where every thing is generaly located. I also know that when I worked for extreme I would drop every thing to help a customer and often spent hours B.S.ing with any one and every one that would talk to me.

Every shop is going to have at least one employee thats not a stellar performer its the nature of retail and hiring minumum wage staff. In those cases I will initate conversation with the sales person, not all people are "out going" or got motor mouths like mine. So some times I feel it helps them and you if you approach them in a manner thats friendly and BS with them ask if theyve been fishing blah blah blah. Any how just my .02

Tom
Tom Atkeson
http://www.blackdogbaitco.com
http://www.tylurecustombaits.com
http://www.skinnybearbassjigs.com
http://www.youtube.com/ibassfishing
Bassterbaiter

Post by Bassterbaiter »

Extreme outdoorsman has always been very helpful when Ive gone in..there selection has always been for the most part very good..Now fishermens wherehouse im not so sure about
Live and let live
MartinD

Valley Rod & Gun=Great Service

Post by MartinD »

Valley Rod & Gun in Clovis-Fresno is the go to shop in the central valley.They have a great selection and the customer service is excellent.They will do whatever they can to get you the stuff you need.

My best experience was when my trolling motor blew up at Don Pedro the day before a tournament. I called the guys at Valley Rod and they sent a loaner up to me with a fellow club member.

NOT TOO MANY PLACES WILL LOAN YOU A $800 TROLLING MOTOR FOR THE WEEKEND.THEY SAVED MY WEEKEND.

I FINISHED 4TH.

Just my input

Martin DeHaven

www.thegreatproduct.com/md
www.fishhedz.net
May the Fish be with you
aNNieNsaLTIE

Re: Bondo...

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

i forgot to mention walton's pond too.first time over there a few months ago an di would NEVER hesitate to go back. friendly personalities and sharing and giving on advise.......

saLTIE-
Morgan

Re: Valley Rod & Gun=Great Service

Post by Morgan »

Boy I agree, Merritt has always been helpful and friendly.

Fishermans used to have Jim that was good and helpful, but since he's gone, it's all about money, they're just cold.

Went to Bass Pro for the 1st time in Vegas at the beginning of the month. It's like a museum, loved it. I did spend $300 (best odds I found that week) , but after talking to two of the salesmen there, they didn't seem to know what they had in stock.

Have stopped in at Dave's, When I'm travelin through.

When I fish the Delta, I stop by the Hook.

I'll stay local and forget BPS.
Lance

Post by Lance »

Bassbones,

Its in the marina at Konocti resort and spa.....

P.S. Dont even THINK about going into the spa
basstamer

Post by basstamer »

I'm gonna chime in here on the Fresno stores.....Fishermans is....ok-its a great store but if they dont know you then they apparently dont want to. I have been in the new store on Shaw 3 times and not one single time have I been asked if they could help me or if I needed help finding anything. Last time I went in I specifically went in and looking for 1)chatterbaits,2)the 3.16 frogs 3) the Step Wa and Bully Wa and lastly 4) a specific gulp worm-if they had any of them I couldnt tell ya cuz I never found them. Yeah I could have asked but why? I am there to spend money not ask questions-the asking questions part is for the ones getting paid to be there not the ones paying to be there. Even though its further off the beaten path for mr my money is going to Valley Rod and Gun. Big Jeff Huth is THE man when it comes to supplying the valley fisherman! They are cool guys and always make sure you've found what you need. Merritt is the bomb-that dude has the mind to pick boys! I havent had him pour me any baits in a long time but man he could pour some awesome baits-does he still pour? Fishermans could be a great store if they had some type of customer service-got to be honest though....CAN'T WAIT FOR BASS PRO where ever they come in at! just my .02
troutnut

One way to get a stores attention

Post by troutnut »

Take the RECIEPT'S from the store that you get good service from and MAIL IT THE THE OWNER of the store that provides POOR SERVICE.

MAIL it to them, I even get a return reciept so I know he got it. I include my phone # and address with a note explaning what i was looking for. Make sure you tell them that you asked for help.

I got tired of FW a few years back, BEFORE I got addicted to bass fishing. I sent them a letter, nothing changed. Didn't even get a reply or phone call. I guess they don't want my money. Lucky for THE HOOK, Dave's Bass Shack, OUTDOOR ProShop and Extreme Angler/Outdoorsman , because they got to sell me several thousands of dollars of gear that FW would have gotten.

PS> I drive from FAIRFIELD to shop at their stores, since there is a lack of bass gear in this area.
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

Funny part about this thread, while I enjoy personal service and being greeted etc. I also enjoy being LEFT ALONE! Yep, I actually like shopping along being anon, while the B.S. session is raving on. At every chance, I like to appear the total rookie idiot, and come across with my best Forest Gump impression. Nobody really notices what you are buying that way, even if you clean off the peg, and throw some othe crap on the pile as a diversion! Its great!

Its probably unlikely, that the guy behind the counter fishes like me, or can actually help me in my fishing other than point the way to the Gammies. The internet has changed the "Clean the peg off to screw with the competition..." anyway. Red hot secret worm? Get it online, and forget the rumor mill.

Empty pegs? Just get ready for the blowout sale at the end. Scout around for good stuff, when its time to mark everything 50% off or more.

Just a different way of looking at things.

.02 A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
rastrike

Post by rastrike »

normaly i stay out of this but this one kills me our you guys just not getting it bay tackle elcerrito end of story befour i say any more
Jeff Jewell

Re: One way to get a stores attention

Post by Jeff Jewell »

Troutnut,
Long's in Fairfield use to be pretty good, they seem to be going downhill latley though. In Vacaville the new store right off the freeway is good "Guns and fishing" They will get ya through till ya get over to Oakley anyway...........
When in Doubt " Set the Hook"
TomAtkeson

Post by TomAtkeson »

Oh andy you used to come in and BS with me for hours too dont give me this load! har har...jk hows that computer doing btw?
Tom Atkeson
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

That was different, I visit more with Nutcases. :D

Computer is still working, I am very careful not to click on links if I don't know what they are. I haven't been hyjacked since. You can't tell, when a link will take you somewhere you don't want to be.

Common sense helps though. If you hear the Lake is spilling over, do not fire a search for images containing the words, "Glory Hole". :shock:

.02 A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
TomAtkeson

Post by TomAtkeson »

haha Yeah berryessas glory hole and the internets idea of a glory hole are very diffrent to say the least! We should hook up some weekend and get our lines in the water some time ;) Talk at ya later Andy
Tom Atkeson
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

I normally would'nt reply to this thread but I feel bones is way off base. I visit Mels at least once every other week and those are some really helpful guys. Their inventory is bigger than anyone else I have shopped in a long time. No empty pegs in that place.
I frequent sporting goods shops more regularly than most and see some pathetic excusses for salesmen, but not there. I wanted to stick up for my local shops, especialy when they do a good job.

What are you doing driving from clear lake to San Jose for fishing equipment anyways. Just stay up north if no one down here can help you. We do not need any additional fishing pressure.

If you don't know how to throw a swimbait, then dont. Stick with minnows if thats your thing. Some guys do not have the strength to toss it all day. :)

You dont have to wait for someone to say hi all the time. If you pick it up and put it down for 20 minutes, they might just think you need more time to make up your mind.Typical for some. That was probably the real reason anyways.

OUT
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Hey Bones, I am not saying you are one, but there are a whole lot of shoppers that don't want to be asked if they need help..After you have asked several of these as a sales clerk, you tend to shy away from asking if a person needs help, unless they look totally lost..I have never been into Mels and not been asked if I can find everything I need..I can say the same for Coyote here in the South Bay area and also the Hook (both locations) on the Delta..Perhaps I look awestruck and lost when I come in, but I have never failed to get prompt and curteous service..Any way you want to look at it, it is sure better than most Wal-Marts and Sports Marts..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Gator

Post by Gator »

Crusader -

I was going to leave your comment alone but I can't.

First, if you are there every week, the sales staff probably knows you and will be more willing to say hi.

Second - Bones lives at Clearlake and works in the San Jose area for the time being - trust me, he'd rather never have to make the trip.

Third - His swimbait comment was a JOKE. He tosses em all da time!!

Fourth - He has been a director/store manager in more retail places than you can count and he knows customer service. I am sure he is just trying to pass on his knowledge on the subject. Regardless of trying to "make up his mind", how about asking "What are you trying to catch?" or "Are you looking for a speecific bait?" I thought that was what customer service was all about.

And BTW, I have managed corporate and retail staffs for many years, so yes, I know what I am talking about. I'll send you my resume if you need it.
Riplip

Whew! Thanx Gator...

Post by Riplip »

I was startin to think someone was takin Bones SERIOUSLY !!! :)
If you always do what you did, you will always get what you got!

www.californiaresrvoirlures.com
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

Tooshae, that's phonetic for 2 shay.
I've been to a number of tackle shops. Since the thread started towards the warehouse I've noticed that as well in the San Jose store. I've also noticed that they are usually young employee's and there seems to be a turnover.
Glen was the mamanger when I lived down that way and as far I observed was top notch. The employee's may be a little gunshy from a lot of folks telling them NO!
While we are all plugging shops. Walton's hand's down the best! The Tackle Warehouse, great service and a lot of hard to find stuff. Troy's was the the only shop in town that had some baits for me and making great progress and the FW here in Sac, well they always ask me if I need help and most of there pegs are full.
Bones I hope your still off the smokes, remember It will slowley get better. I hope your car doors and loved ones are faring better than mine did :D .
I had to come back...I know...
BassTraveler

Post by BassTraveler »

I heard that the New Tackle Store in Clearlake, has a "Good 8) Lookin' Chick workin' there.
Has anyone else noticed? :wink:
[url=http://www.nosweatmist.com/][img]http://www.westernbass.com/shared/sponsors/150x50/nosweat.jpg[/img][/url]
www.nixonsmarine.com
Johnny C

Glory Hole Sports and Escalon Bait and Taclke

Post by Johnny C »

Always friendly and helpfull...
http://www.dobynsrods.com
troutnut

Re: One way to get a stores attention

Post by troutnut »

I've been to Longs, they do have some good selections of most stuff. The guy that runs that department must hunt and fish. He buys the right stuff. Problem with that store is it is right next store to 24 HOUR Fitness, and I feel guilty for not working out so I avoid that side of town.

I haven't been in Guns and Fishing since they first opened, and they were just setting up the fishing section that day.

I like to continue shopping at the places that have been soooo helpful and instrumental in filling my boat/garage/truck and guest room with so much STUFF!