My experience getting boating license

squidbefsh

My experience getting boating license

Post by squidbefsh »

Hello Everyone. Hope this helps anyone with getting your boating card. I used Boat U.S. Foundation as it was a free course. Once you make your account it will ask for a donation if you want in the check out cart. It will start the application to fill out your information for the state. Once you have this it will ask you with a link to go to the CA department of waterways to apply and pay your $ 10. You take the application number and tab back to your Boat U.S. form. Once you have entered the number you may start the course. It consisted of 6 courses. 200 pages. You have to spend 24 seconds on each page. A timer on the bottom lets you know when to move on. Each section has a 10 question quiz at the end. You can save your progress at the bottom at any time and come back later. There is a downloadable worksheet for each section to help write answers to help with the quiz. An 80 % passing rate is required to move on from each course. Once you have that completed you get to take a final exam. 50 questions and 10 questions from the state your in. 80 % passing for the final. I spent 3 days with 2 courses a day. Put all my worksheets on my office desk and took the final exam. Lots of information is commercial and right of way, passing and signals. If you fish the Delta or plan to I can see information helping guide you thru the hundreds of passages. Also safety gear and " What you should have on your boat ". In case you get stopped . Some officers want to see your items. You know what I mean. The whole process was around 3.5 hours. I received the temporary card 1 minute after I passed the course. Hope this helps. Brian C.
mark poulson

Re: My experience getting boating license

Post by mark poulson »

Thank you for posting this.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
jerrysfishing

Re: My experience getting boating license

Post by jerrysfishing »

I took the course yesterday and did final test this morning. Total time 3 1/2-4 hours with breaks. Like said above, I got email with temporary card and certificate from US boats. I really think, for me, it was a waste of time.