Fixing up a used boat / oxidation / fuel additives?

rickd

Fixing up a used boat / oxidation / fuel additives?

Post by rickd »

Well the Ranger worked out great for my dad, his buddy and I this past week, we had a blast!

The motor gave me a scare when we though it was toasted but found that the little fuel line broke and the motor was getting way to much oil, fouled the plugs and was running crappy. Got new plugs, put in some Lucas fuel additive and replaced the line and seemed to have cleaned things up.

What have you all used to clean up some oxidation on older boats? I went and got these 3M pads that seem to work pretty well, has anyone use them before?

My dad’s buddy told me to get some Seafoam and put it in my tank to clean up the fuel system, anyone ever hear of it?

Thanks,
rickd
Blue_R70

Re: Fixing up a used boat / oxidation / fuel additives?

Post by Blue_R70 »

fishatano wrote:What have you all used to clean up some oxidation on older boats? I went and got these 3M pads that seem to work pretty well, has anyone use them before?
Meguiar's #49 Oxidation Remover is a great product if you have a lot of oxidatiom to cut through.

So what kind of 3M pads are you using?
rickd

Post by rickd »

They are a 1800 grit pad that you scub off the ozidation with.

It turned a nasty old boat my buddy had to a like new shine. It takes some work to scrub the thing over but does a good job. I was looking for something a bit easier!
CORAL 96

Re: Seafoam

Post by CORAL 96 »

Fishatano, Seafoam is good stuff. It will clean as well as stabilize your fuel when you don't use your boat. I've been using it for years. Even pour a can in the Suburban every so often. Keeps those insides clean. Some folks like to use it as a de-carbon process as well (Shock-treatment). Put one can with a gallon of gas in a gas can. Take your boat out to the lake, unhook your gas line from where it draws from the tank and place in the gas container. Run your motor at about 1500 rpms until that mixture is all gone and then re-hook your fuel line to the tank. Then, run it WOT for 20 minutes or so. May have to change your plugs afterwards, but your pistons will be clean as a whistle. I'm going to try the ladder real soon!!! 8)
rdesmangles

Post by rdesmangles »

Where do you buy these pads? Thanks!
http://www.legalshield.com/hub/rdesmangles
rickd

Post by rickd »

Svendsens down in Alameda, it's a marine repair / paint etc store.
1851 Clement Ave in Alameda, 510-522-2886. The pads are aprox 2-3$ a piece.

Just get a bucket of water and scrub scrub scrub.

Start with the Ultar then the Micro, then use a high speed buffer afterwards and It'll look like new.
rdesmangles

Post by rdesmangles »

Thank you for the great info.!
http://www.legalshield.com/hub/rdesmangles