Tipping Guides?

Post by Steve Ericksen »

Is it common practice to tip a guide?

Thanks for any input.
www.PatTillmanFoundation.com
rmcollins3

Re: Tipping Guides?

Post by rmcollins3 »

Who cares about common practice? If you feel they deserve it, then go for it. If not, remember, you're the customer and probably have already paid a LOT of money for your trip.

Just my opinion, but society tips for way too much nowadays. Not to get off topic, but my favorite is the tip jar sitting outside the drive-in window. I mean really, aren't I the one who just sat in line for 10 minutes waiting on you to get my frickin' food ready? Tip? For what? Walking my food from the warming lamp to the window? Sorry about the rant. :lol:
Dan McKenzie

Post by Dan McKenzie »

I think if the trip was everything you thought it should be
15-20% is a fair amount, if its 2 of you + a guide then 20+% would be appropriate. I'm sure there are many opinions, my personal feeling is if they work hard, they've earned the extra at the end of the day.
ash
SpeedBump

Yes it is standard practice

Post by ash »

And really my tip is based upon did we accomplish well what we set out for. Did the guide give me first shot, or explain in depth what is going on, give me baits at the end of the day.

VS

Did the guide fish all day for himself and not focus the day upon my outing or what I set out to acomplish?

20% would be a good tip. After you factor the costs the guides are puttting out, not just on your day but to maintain contact with the fish etc.. the 250.00 your paying is not much in terms of profit. 60-80 in gas + boat payments, baits, gear, license etc... Just like any service, if they are good they should be tiped, if they are not you may express that with your tip money.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
fishercurtis

Re: Yes it is standard practice

Post by fishercurtis »

I agree. Just like any business in the service industry it should bebased on what kind of "Service" you received. I think that if you are clear about what you want to accomplish for "your" day and the guide has done everything they can to accomplish it for you, then they have done what you hired em for. Whether it is for a Big fish, a technique, an area, whatever. If they have done everything they can for you to make your day "special" you should use the same guidlines for tipping as you would for that waitress at your favorite place. If'n you got ignored ya know what to do. But most likely 15% is where you start and go from there. Just cause the fish aren't cooperating shouldn't mean that the guide suffers same as if your food isn't cooked right your waitress shouldn't be punished. Weeze all gotta make a livin ya know.
Just my 2cents or should I say 20%. I own a restaurant an I know the daily struggles of a service person.
Curtis
It's All About the Hook up
Esin Restaurant & Bar, Revel Kitchen & Bar
Fishin' Dave

uhhh

Post by Fishin' Dave »

Have you looked around lately? Most of these guys are getting up there in years. I don't think they would appreciate being tipped. Leave the Tipping to cows my friend and keep the guides on the deck of the boate. :shock:
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Re: Not to be hard headed or hearted

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

But when you hire a lawyer, do you tip him/her, or a house painter or any number of other service providers you might hire..I am not saying don't, just asking if they even have an expectation of it..The cost and profit should be covered in the fee, if they are trying to make a living..Personally I could easily see tipping the guide if the day turned out to be everything you wanted plus some..Most people like to be recognized for their extra effort..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Phil

Post by Phil »

WISH YOU GUYS WOULD START TIPING US SPORTING GOODS STORES, MAYBE THEN WE COULD STOCK MORE ITEMS OR ACTUALLY MAKE A LIVING AT THIS !!

GUIDES GET MOST SUPPLIES AT COST OR ALOT LESS THAN YOU GUYS PAY. (UNLESS YOUR A PRO OR SPONSORED)

THEY CHARGE $ 250.00 PLUS, SOME OTHERS HAVE MORE EXPENSES THEY CHARGE FOR.
MOST DON'T TRAVEL OVER 20 OR 30 MILES IN A DAY, IF THAT.

NEWER ENGINES RUN ALL DAY ON 1/4 OF WHAT THEY USED TO RUN ON FOR FUEL, AT EVEN DOUBLE WHAT FUEL USED TO BE, THAT IS ALOT.

TIP THE FISHING TACKLE STORES; THEN WE CAN STOCK MORE OR ACTUALLY MAKE A LIVING AT THIS GAME. WE MAKE LESS THAN A GOOD WAITRESS AT DENNY'S.

"THATS OUR TIP FOR THE DAY"
Fishin' Dave

Post by Fishin' Dave »

If you have a bathroom that works in your new place, I'd tip you! There's nothing like shopping for taclke that makes you have to go!
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

Wow Jigs, I can save on fuel with that new engine..Lets see, I can can pay for that with 106 guide trips ( thats with no profit left and the cost of maintenance and gear not deducted)...I am a rich man though from all the SMILES that are provided for my clients!!!!!!..
http://www.dobynsrods.com
Phil

Post by Phil »

I'M JUST KIDDING JOHN YOU GUYS DO A GREAT JOB, I WOULD NOT WANT TO TRY IT EVER !!1

ITS BORING HERE TODAY THATS ALL...

JIGS
Phil

Post by Phil »

BATHROOM ALWAYS WORKS. THE OUT OF ORDER SIGN IS ALWAYS ON THE DOOR FOR THE UNDESIRABLE'S THAT MAKE A MESS ALL OVER THE PLACE............GO TO DON PEDRO MONDAY AFTER ANY WEEKEND AND JUST LOOK AT THE GARBAGE PEOPLE JUST TOSS AND LEAVE THERE FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO CLEAN UP.......GO CHECK OUT A BATHROOM, AND HOPEFULLY IT DOES'NT HAVE **** ON THE WALLS, IF YOUR LUCKY !!!

OH!!!!!!! A CUSTOMER GOTTA GO CYA

JIGS
ash
SpeedBump

Well Jigs go ahead and put out a tip jar

Post by ash »

I am sure they will respect that as they do your bathroom.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
sTony

Post by sTony »

A short and simple answer would be, yes, it is common practice to tip a guide after a day on the water. It a service oriented business and it is customary to tip. A guide has a great many expenses and those aren't fixed. If a client tosses a rod and reel overboard a guide might get stuck for something like that. I've been on guide trips where I was taken literally all over the lake and went far in excess of what Jigs said in his post and I've been on some where we didn't need to burn a lot of gas to acomplish my goals for the day. That would be the key ingredient to hiring any guide. Talk with them and be very specific about your goals for the day. Some might not event book the trip if your goals are unrealistic in the time frame that you want to book the trip. But if you have a frank converation about what you want to acheive and the guide satisfies those goals and maybe even gives you more then a tip is certainly in order.

sTony
Phil

Post by Phil »

Tony; I was kidding and looking to get a rise from Johnny C. It worked , ok.....being from Redding originally and lived there for over 40 years, I once guided myself in Redding on the Sac river Redding to Cottonwood for Trout & small Steelhead, for a few years, yes I know what it takes. Sometimes it even takes damageing a boat in the rocks....Tips are a good idea.

Jigs
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I have to agree with SOCB. I spent a day with a guide on a very popular lake to try and learn something/place new, and all I did was watch HIM fish. He told me what to throw, never gave me a bait, and HE hit all the prime spots before I could. THEN he had the gall to get all excited over HIS big fish HE caught on MY dime !!!
Needless to say..............I have not been too anxious to go on a guided trip any too soon. Did I tip him ? HA !!! It was all I could do not to TIP HIM OVER !!!!
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

Sorry you had such a bad trip Mitch..I have had many trips were I never casted once..Depending on the skill of the anglers will dictate weather you need to fish or not..Some times you have to show them that the fish on the meeter can easily be caught...And as in all bass fishing I will pick up a different bait just to make sure we are not missing the boat...But when they are catching them all day it takes all I can do to get them baits, unhook fish and run the boat... :lol:
Phil

Post by Phil »

JOHN. I KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO WANT TO PREFISH BEFORE MY TOURNAMENT NOV 18TH. SO LET ME KNOW WHEN, I WILL GO WITH YOU JUST FOR FUN FOR ME, I NEVER GET OUT OF HERE ANYWAY.

(ARE YOU GOING TO FISH WITH JOE THIS YEAR, OR TEAM UP WITH KORNY AGAIN )??

JIGS
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

My, beliefs are, tipping is for a job well done 20% would be a standard tip, for a great experience, which may not have any thing to do with fish caught, but a good learning experience and simply an enjoyable day on the water. As for daily rates, take a look at the cost of a rental boat plus fuel ice ect. not to mention the knowledge and experience of the guide and rods, tackle provided. I think 250.00 is a low rate. Of course the week end warrior tax write off guys can sour the pot. Guides really should not fish all that much unless asked to by client and those new to fishing on fast boats may get scared at high speeds most will not care how fast you boat is. If a client gets a poor guide have him head back to the dock pay what is deserved and find another. If more potential clients would add up the numbers, boat fuel tackle preparation time and effort not to mention the years of on the water time Good guides are very affordable and remember after you leave the boat the work is not over for the boat owner.
the best way to catch a big one is don't lose um sharp hooks set drag retie!
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

Very nice post Swordfish...I am glad that the majority of my clients understand this..I have been on well over a hundred guide and charter trips myself and it only takes a hour to see what your going to get..I always appreciate the knowledge.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

I do not exspect a tip. I hardly ever guide, but when I do I set my rates high and that is what I want to be paid for the day. No more or no less. I think $250 a day is way to low with todays prices. A guide charging $250 a day should be tipped for a good trip. A good trip is not always how many fish you have caught. (That sure sounds like a guide). Guiding is difficult. The fish don't do their job and bite, or the clients aren't very skilled and don't catch near as many as they should. It is a tough job. Some guides just don't give a shi*, they are there to fish. This is wrong, but it happens every day. Tip if you want to, and don't if you don't want to. It is your decision. The guide set his rates.
gt5bass

Post by gt5bass »

I agree with Mistah Dobyns here, when I guide I don't expect to git a tip (they are appreciated though). I do expect my clients to git their moneys worth though - if they aren't satisfied, I am not satisfied. Since I set my rates, that is what I expect to receive, nothing less-nothing more, for a days work just like I do for my other job (which is also service based) and not fishing related. I don't git tipped for that job when I do it so why would I expect to git tipped for guiding? Guiding is NOT like being a Server in a restaurant where you are paid sub-par wages and rely on tips to make a living.

If you are a good business person, you will have your guide rates set so that they cover your expenses and make you some profit (Bus 101). Otherwise, perhaps you should do something else to make a livin'.

Just my .02. Have at me. I know you will
[i][color=green]It is what it is[/color] :|[/i]
Phil

Post by Phil »

YEAH !! I AGREE AND "DON'T SELL FISHING TACKLE"!!
gt5bass

Post by gt5bass »

jigs,

I have had several opportunities and ran for the hills everytime :roll:
Phil

Post by Phil »

THATS WHY WE CONSIDER IT A HOBBIE AND IT ONLY PAYS FOR ITSELF ! BUT THE GOOD PART IS THAT WE HELP SO MANY THAT ARE JUST STARTING, AND THRU THE YEARS AND WITH THE HELP OF ALL YOU PROS, WE TRY TO GIVE AND PROVIDE ACCURATE INFORMATION TO NEWCOMMERS IN THIS SPORT THAT I LOVE SO MUCH. OR I WOULD BE SELLING "REAL ESTATE" YUCK, !!

THANK YOU
JIGS
Fishin' Dave

Post by Fishin' Dave »

Jigs,

What is wrong with selling real estate? Do you have something against Realtors and Real Estate Professionals?
Phil

Post by Phil »

DAVE, SAID I WOULD NOT DO IT.....I THINK ITS A THANKLESS JOB WITH NOTHING BUT HEADACHES FOR ALL AGENTS AND A DOG EST DOG WOULD.NO THANK YOU !!!
Fishin' Dave

Post by Fishin' Dave »

Well, you'd be right. Just digging a little deeper :)

It is a tough job, but very rewarding when a client invites you to their housewarming party, or you can see the appreciation on their face. It is not the job for everybody.
Joe LaGrone

Post by Joe LaGrone »

Do you get tipped by your employer?
Its their JOB.........they chose it, they set the fees, let them earn their money like the rest of us who work hard for what we have.
I have used a few guides, & unless they put me on my personal best, their just doing their job.....
Beyond me why someone just doing their job would expect extra compensation...........especially at the rates that are charged.....
just my .02cents
ppickerell

Post by ppickerell »

I used a guide last year at Berryessa who claims that "instruction" is his forte. I really did not care how many fish we caught, I was there to learn how to rig, what depths to fish etc. This very active and popular guide did not teach much at all and seemd to want to hang around drop shotting deep for hours. Needless to say the tip was small. So I would say that the tip should match the level of service. There can't be much of a living guiding.
02 Champion 206 DC Elite
Bobber Lobber
gt5bass

Post by gt5bass »

Joe LaGrone wrote:Beyond me why someone just doing their job would expect extra compensation...........especially at the rates that are charged.....
Do you really know what it costs the average guide to be prepared for a guide trip? If you did, I don't think you would have made that comment. I personally think most guides don't charge enough...that may be because they are relying on tips as opposed to actually charging what their services are worth. Just a thought.
Fishin' Dave

Post by Fishin' Dave »

I'll beat Seig to this.

Everyone should work on a tip/comission based salary. Golfers, Fisheman, Realtors, and others only get paid based on the effort put in. Government work, football players, and baseball players get guarnteed money and work accordingly.
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

By reading the comments in this thread you can easily draw a conclusion what a guide is up against..By being up front with the clients ahead of time( which is usually a lot of phone time too)..Both parties should be clear on what to expect. As for it being just a job, then the guide should always pack it in after his set amount of hours even if the bite is going crazy. No it is just good business to stay longer and bring them joy. And yes, this would be a good time for a tip. It always doesn't happen that way. But it all evens out. And if you want to run all over the lake getting every hot spot he has ever found. Then you are setting your goals to high also.

Gary.... I see why you dont guide very much

Post by Guest »

after hauling Richard around all those years for free, and seeing what a great competitor he is, why would you want to create any more like him. HAR HAR HAR.....regardless of the pay..

korny
Blue_R70

Post by Blue_R70 »

gt5bass wrote:I personally think most guides don't charge enough...that may be because they are relying on tips as opposed to actually charging what their services are worth. Just a thought.
Interesting thought. From a business standpoint is it smarter to charge what they think their services/trip package is worth up front or to keep the price lower and rely on tips to make up for it?

I'm not a flyfisherman but I stumbled on a local Delta flyfishing guide's website and noticed that a topwater flyfishing trip for bass costs nearly $500. That's a lot of money. Granted, there's a perception that all flyfishing enthusiasts are yuppies with money to burn and the guide may be pricing trips accordingly but I found the link on a local fly shop's forum and the guys who post there seem like regular working folks. These guys give the guide glowing reviews and he seems to get a lot of business. So are flyfishing enthusiasts willing to spend more up front because that's the perception of the whole world of flyfishing or are we bass guys a bunch of cheapskates?

What would happen if local bass guides were to charge what their services are perceived to be worth (ie, include the gratuity)? Would business drop off? Or is it better for them to rely on tips?
rmcollins3

Re: Gary.... I see why you dont guide very much

Post by rmcollins3 »

Heck, I taught Martial Arts for 2 years and never got a tip, and that's a heck of a lot harder than teaching someone fishing.

Try teaching a 5 year old kid, who doesn't speak your language, how to do a kung fu technique! :P

All in all, I think it just depends on who the customer is and what they are expecting. If they are people who never fish and just want to have fun and catch fish, then they probably are only going to pay the actual rate. They probably won't realize what all goes into the trip and how tough it is to put people on fish, control the boat, provide the tackle, fix backlashes, etc.

But if they already know how to fish and want to expand their horizons, I bet they will probably be more willing to tip. Just my opinion.
912nitro

Post by 912nitro »

Its the line of work you chose isnt it gt5bass ?
& in fact i DO know what it costs a guide . I have been fishing over 45 years, have had 5 fiberglass bass boats & still have a 21 footer with a 225 efi.
Why you whining ? grow up, you work on the water doing what i love to do... you wont get any sympathy from me
I will tell you what i tell myself when things dont go my way...... If I dont like my situation I change it ...
you do the same.
Wise men STILL seek Him....
Bill kizer

Post by Bill kizer »

I must have missed it, where was Gary (Gt5bass, aka Hubspinner) whining? He made a post where he agreed with Mr Doybns about setting his rates accordingly. Then made a further comment about what it costs a guide to prepare for a trip.
I’m not a guide but know the cost quite well when I hit the water Tackle gas, etc.
It appeared to me he was just making a point that in the guiding industry, tipping is an accepted practice whether it’s a fishing or hunting trip.
Keep in mind not all guides are owner operators, many are the employee of a guiding outfitter. And like a sever in a restaurant tipping is an accepted practice.

Bill
Just call me Tule bender
sTony

Post by sTony »

Me thinks 912 musta woke up on the wrong side this mornin' as he couldn't have misinterpreted Gary's post more.

sTony
gt5bass

912nitro

Post by gt5bass »

Whining? I didn't know that is what I was doing by suggesting guys charge what it cost to do business. I guess you must be reading something between the lines. I re-read my posts and I doesn't appear to be whining to me (Blue and Bill appear to have gotten my point of view without issue too). I was stating my point of view and asked a simple question.

And I guess the better question to have asked was:

Have you ever been a licensed, bonded fishing guide, so you truely know the difference between the costs of going fish and the costs of providing a professional, licensed and bonded service?

Just because you have had 5 fiberglass bass boats and still have 21 footer with 225 efi just tells me you might know how much it costs to go bass fishing not that you know what it costs to be a licensed, bonded guide.

As for my situation, I am pretty satisfied with it - never said I wasn't, I charge and get what I need to get when I do a guide trip, so I see no need to change.

BTW...Just to be clear, I am not a full time guide. I only guide as time allows for a few selective clients due to my tournament schedule and consultant/independent contractor obligations. I do enjoy guiding and would probably do it more if the money I make as a consultant/independent contractor wasn't so good.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers 912, I don't believe I know you from Adam's cat, considering my comments about what a guide trip cost to do was directed at Joe LaGrone
especially at the rates that are charged
unless of course you and Joe are the same person.
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

I wrote earlier 20% would be a standard tip for a great day on the water , standard was an inproper word as all gratuities are optional, this is a private matter between the parties involved, these things in my mind should not be dicussed in public, tips while always welcome should not be expected, as asked at the top clients may not understand this matter thus the initial Question...Clients who don't tip should never be labled as stiffs, as this is a grey area and may come back with a $ thanks afterwards all situations differ and tips or not hire an experienced angler have fun it's all worth the price if you have the passion, I'm not a charter guide but 98% of my friends are.
Dan McKenzie

Post by Dan McKenzie »

LAOKS15,

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. ha ha
Steve Ericksen

Post by Steve Ericksen »

Haha, was just thinking that!
www.PatTillmanFoundation.com
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

Ya asked a simple question and opened a can of worms , thats it..

Good one.............

Now ask how can we catch suspended fish??????