So Confused..

Morgan

So Confused..

Post by Morgan »

I'm getting close to getting a newer boat, like a memo, or slightly used. I've got it down to either a Skeeter, Triton, or Bass Cat.

It's hard enough trying to decide between those with the many features each has.

I ruled out Ranger based on the writing on the wall of them stopping tournament support if you don't continue to buy new boats from them. Or if you are not the original owner. Also their drivers area doesn't have the legroom. The great support I hear from the Modesto dealer almost made me change my mind, though.

Here is where my problem starts. I live in Fresno. Yea, I know.....

I've been to the Triton dealer, and they are rude, don't care, and I won't buy from them. Heard the same from others also.
Been to the Skeeter dealer in Lemoore, no one even bothered to talk to me. I've been hearing troubles from members of my Bass Club about their service.

We have a good Merc serviceman at Ed's Marine, but that's just for the motor.

So now, I have to look at long distance support. I have heard that Galaxie Marine is very good. Kinda far, though. I haven't heard too much one way or another about the others. How's Adams Marine and Mossdale Marine? Any reports on others that are close?

Thanks for any help.
Morgan
Hollywood

Re: So Confused..

Post by Hollywood »

Out of those 3 I would go with a Basscat with a Yamaha on it. Why the basscat will ride the best in rough water much like a champion it is fast built right and there customer service (at factory) is top notch. Why the Yamaha? Because they are the best, fast, fuel efficient and reliable. Out of all the boat and motor combos I have had my Yamaha was the one that NEVER let me down and I have tore up some Fichts and Optimaxes. Dont believe me ask Mercury depo in Fresno or the Evinrude Rep. HAR!!!!! Yamaha is proven just like a toyota!

If I didnt have to choose one of those 3 my first choice would be the one your ruled out (Ranger). Don't knock what they are doing with tournament fishing. They are simply purging the boat market making room for new boat sales and giving new buyers second hand boats to buy. It's just like flushing your toilet and wham you have fresh water in the bowl.

Go with whatever boat you like the most and who gives you the best deal. If you are in this longterm remember to choose the one that will make you happy, you don't want to get home and be dam I wish I could have got that Skeeter or that basscat would treat my sore back better in the rough water of the delta.

Just my .005 cents

Kevin Johnson
basstamer

Post by basstamer »

Morgan I havent owned many bassboats aside from a Nitro (can u say CHEAP?),A BRAND NEW STRATOS that lacked sooo much in quality that I couldnt stand the fact I paid so much for it and now I have a used Champion. I cant say enough for the Champion-the ride is absolutly incredible. I cant wait to take her out on Clear Lake on a windy day to experience the ride. I have to say also when I had my new Stratos with that huge Yamaha HPDI 200 on the tail I loved it-UNTIL I bought my Champion with th 150 Merc....man that merc puts that Yamaha to shame! Just my experiences-take em for what they are worth! Good luck on buying your boat-I got mine riiiight here of WesternBass.com from a fellow nutcase. I feel your pain on that Triton dealer in Fresno too-made me a Triton non beliver right there! Tight lines
Scott
Kelly Jeffers

Post by Kelly Jeffers »

I understand that's it is hard being in fresno,But it is worth the trip to sac, all the boat dealers are good here and will make all the time in the world for you to get your need's meet( now this is my own opion go to C&C marine up here they were the coolest I found , but they are a Ranger dealer, and FLW is only one game there are lot's of others, but you also looked at Triton and that is the main ride for B.A.S.S. and they pretty much cut the west out of it all! and I'd take the pespi challenge with any of the boats you named with the same H.P. (Z-20 Yamaha) don't let some one's Politics cost you a good Boat....
Don't Run With Scissors!!!!!!
ownfl4g

Post by ownfl4g »

all the guys are awesome at c&c marine
GW

Post by GW »

There is a Triton dealer in Bakersfield, I think its All Star Marine. I have heard good things about them.
LEN B

Post by LEN B »

Try BOBS in Modesto. If you dont want a Ranger. This place will give you the time of day plus what ever you want when you walk in the door. Just ask for Bill.
Colebass

You can't go wrong with............

Post by Colebass »

A BassCat. Great boat with great ride and tons of speed! My Cat has a Mercury on it and I have had NO Problems with it, so no problems there.

But if I was ordering a new one, it would have an Evinrude on it! They are so quite and fuel effecient!
Dave Cole
mark poulson

Re: You can't go wrong with............

Post by mark poulson »

Is there a website that shows side by side comparisons of comparable Merc, Yamaha, and Evinrude motors, with stuff like mpg, sound levels, maintenance records?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Tobe

Re: You can't go wrong with Galaxy Marine*NM*

Post by Tobe »

*NM*
Last edited by Tobe on Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
dobynsrods.com
oasiswatersport.com
pepperjigs.com
clearlaketackle.com
laserlures.com
Bill Cook

Post by Bill Cook »

Morgan- There is a great Triton dealer in Bakersfield. Call Mike Knight at All Star Marine. He and Tim will take terrific care of you.
Dobyns Rods
gt5bass

Post by gt5bass »

Colebass wrote:A BassCat. Great boat with great ride and tons of speed! My Cat has a Mercury on it and I have had NO Problems with it, so no problems there.

But if I was ordering a new one, it would have an Evinrude on it! They are so quite and fuel effecient!
Dang Dave,

That would probably be my exact ride, if'n I stop bein' a Ranger Dude. BassCat with and ETEC on it. Betcha that ride would just downright scream! and tear up the rough stuff too! I just wish they would git something like the SRS seats for my poor delicate back :roll:

Morgan,

I have heard good things about the 'Cat dealer in Mossdale. I have also met the Pierces, the owners, of BassCat a couple of years ago. Great people, they really know how to welcome people to their family. I would have become a 'Cat owner if I didn't win the Ranger I am currently running! I become ineligible for the Ranger Bonus after next year, so I may lookin' into switchin' rides at that point. I know BassCat will be at the top of my list.
Last edited by gt5bass on Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
[i][color=green]It is what it is[/color] :|[/i]
FATGUY

Re: So Confused..if you can't

Post by FATGUY »

if you for some reason have dropped the best boat made ( CHAMPION) go with the bass cat my partner has one and it almost rides ( not quite) as good as my champion.. as far as ranger..thats a macho thing.. I OWN A RANGER ).. BOY THIS SHOULD FLOOD THE BB WITH NASTY REMARKS.. ANYWAY THE NUMBER THING FOR RANGER IS RESALE ( SAME MACHO THING) but to me its not worth the increase in price just so it says ranger.. just my .02 now all you ranger owners don't pick on me .. JUST MY .02 BOB G
Hollywood

Re: So Confused..if you can't

Post by Hollywood »

Hey Bob,

If you pull the plug on your champion will it still be floating 2 or 3 hours later? I bet not..... :-) I bet Gary C.'s Ranger will still be fishable if he pulled the plug at the same time you did.... Not all boats are created equal...
bigstick

Post by bigstick »

Get the Basscat.I'm on my second one with my second Optimax with absolutely no problems.Basscat's are solid and fast with a dry ride in rough water and a very stable fishing platform.They are the ONLY manufacturer that offers a lifetime transferrable hull warranty.

Go with Galaxy Marine.
FATGUY

Re: So Confused.. hey hollywood

Post by FATGUY »

thats like the ad : where they say if you cut this boat in half both halves float . who cares ?? anyone you know planning on cutting their boat in half ?? like i said just my .02 hopefully gary won't pull his plug and then sit there for three hours waiting to see if it floats ??hows fishing ?? you getting any nice fish lately?
basstamer

Post by basstamer »

Hey Bob-you took the words right outta my mouth! It looks like I too will be a Champion owner from here on out.
Scott
gt5bass

Post by gt5bass »

BOB G wrote:hopefully gary won't pull his plug and then sit there for three hours waiting to see if it floats ??hows fishing ?? you getting any nice fish lately?
Hollywood wrote:I bet Gary C.'s Ranger will still be fishable if he pulled the plug at the same time you did.... Not all boats are created equal...
Actually, I have fished all day with the plug out :shock: Being the Hub Spinner and all, I sometimes make dumb mistakes :roll:, like leaving the plug out (since I hardly ever have to take it out, but did on one occasion when driving home in one of the spring storms). I would have pretty much would never have known the plug was out if it wasn't for the auto bilge coming on occassionally. Never even had water come thru the drains in the floor of the boat.

The only problem I have ever had with both 'Cats and Champs are that they can be parachutes in the wind and get blown around alot more than my Ranger 521 does. I think they are both good boats in their own right and would own either if I didn't have my current wifey :D
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

Hey Gary,

I have been standing in that boat with all the cut outs in it on the lake with Don Lee and Keith Daffron of Ranger and a few others all leaning to one side while a sprinking system is in the side watering the carpet even more....

Diffently made my mind which boat would not sink.

Kevin
Hipster

Post by Hipster »

Mark,

Here is a link for a shootout of all three engine makers.

I subscribe to this magazine and would reccomend it to any serious boater/fisherperson great informative magazine

http://www.bassandwalleyeboats.com/outp ... id=1059733
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
FATGUY

Post by FATGUY »

hey just my opinion . i think my champion rides better in rough water than any boat i've fished.its not as stable a fishing platform as some.. also i hopefully don't ever in my life have to start worring about sinking ?? don't know why that would come up in a sales pitch bob
gt5bass

Post by gt5bass »

Hey Bob,

The ability of a boat to stay afloat may not be such a big issue here in CA and most of the west, as most of the waterways we fish are relatively safe to navigate. While back east fishin', I have seen many a boat come in with holes in them from hitting unmarked reefs or seen them swamped by big rollers that blow 40 miles up the lake. I seem to remember that we had a boat get swamped at the Rally@Clear Lake this year (yes, his bilge was busted, but a Ranger will still float even if the bilge goes out).

Since I tend to run my boat on a lot of "big" water, I am happy to know it ain't going to sink underneath me if I get caught in a bad situation, so therefore it is an important issue to me.
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

Mr. Hideo Ebhara who is on the Evergreen staff with me and on Champion Japan Pro Staff had a 2foot by 1foot section of the bottom front port side hull ripped off during rough water in my past tournament, His boat took on so much water that his bilge pumps could not keep up and he had to come in early and that was on a 2006 Champion 206. He did not hit nothing he simply was running in very heavy swells on Lake Kasumi.

If he was in a Ranger he could have fished the rest of Day 1 and might of been able to catch the other two fish needed for his limit and to secure his third Angler of the Year title here in Japan. Will be curious to see what Champion will do with his boat over here.

Kevin
Rob D

Post by Rob D »

Bob, the point isn't that you are planning on being in a sinking position someday, if it was something you could plan in advance you could just not go out on that day. You hope never to be in a car accident too, but a safe vehicle in the event of a crash is important to most people. Knowing that my Ranger will be floating if something does happen is peace of mind for me and my family. I also hope never to be in that position. I didn't buy a Ranger to be cool, or as a status symbol, I bought it because I think they're the best build and safest boat on the market. They handle rough water with the best of them. I'd rather be in my old Ranger that doesn't qualify for the extra prize money than be an a brand new anything else that doesn't qualify for the extra prize money either.
I fish because I CAN!!
God Bless America!!
Rob Douglas
Ken Mah

PM Sent

Post by Ken Mah »

Check your personal e-mail Morgan
Morgan

Interesting?

Post by Morgan »

Thanks for all the imput. That helps. What I find interesting was no info from Triton or Skeeters?

Morgan
Dom

Post by Dom »

I am fixing to walk out the door, but just thought I would let you know I was just at Mosedale I deliver thier Propane and they have about 5 basscats on the lot they blowing out at a GREAT PRICE they are trying to get in the new models check em out

Tight Lines Dom
Tight Lines Dom
Terry Smith

Re: Interesting?

Post by Terry Smith »

Galaxie Marine is no longer selling BassCat so you will have to go to Mossdale. I have heard great thing about Mossdale but have yet to stop in myself.I bought my BassCat from Ryan at Galaxie they are a great dealership and I would recomend them to anyone. They do sell Skeeter,Triton,and Duckworth. I would go with A BassCat for overall Performce,Skeeter for speed, Ranger A little slower but great ride, and Triton in that order for me. I have only been in A Triton three times and I wasn't impreased. Maybe just the driver? Not to say that they are not A great boat just not for me.

Terry
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
crawdaddy

Post by crawdaddy »

I own a Triton and love it. That being said it is the first bass rig over 15 ft that I have owned, and my fishing partner runs a Triton so my range of experiences is limited. This is what I will say about Galaxie Marine since they carry 2 of the 3 brands you are interested in and dealt with the 3rd until recently. Ryan at Galaxie always takes the time to take my phone calls about the dumbest things, like why is this alarm going off? What does this beep sequence mean etc..I was fishing a tournament on Folsom and my starting battery went out (It was less than 1 year old and came with the boat) Ryan brought one to me on the lake, We got 5th in that tourney and almost won AOY. That day really sold me on their commitment to their products. Ryan and his staff had to replace my lower unit after I was rear-ended, they were patient with the situation and handled all the adjusters with ease. I would highly recommend Galaxie Marine and I love my Triton boat. What you didn't say was the size of boat you want. The 19ft Triton I feel has a better storage layout that the other 19ft boats out there. I don't have the experiece to compare the rides but I have been very happy with mine and the air ride seats make the ride that much better. Scott Crawford
I would rather jog home from my own Vasectomy than spend Saturday at the mall.
SABP

Skeeter 201

Post by SABP »

Morgan,

Finding the right boat and the right dealer is tough to do when you have to drive that far. Galaxie marine will take guys out on the lake or have pro staff do it so you can get the feel how a particular boat rides.

In all cases it just comes down to personal preference on the boat. I am running a Skeeter 20i with a Yamaha 250 and I have been so impressed with the entire rig. Fast, stable, huge deck, premium componants. I can't tell you how much fun it is to punch in a code on the dash and all your storage lids lock at once. Plus there is a respooling station under one of the compartments that makes rigging up at the end of the day a cinch.

I got my boat in late spring so it is still brand new. But I will order a new one for next spring (got a new wrapped truck and need to match the truck with new boat colors) If you want a new great looking Skeeter 20i at a great price, send me an email at schoolofbass@yahoo.com and I will send you a picture and more information.

If not, make sure you get some test rides in all the boats you are considering. Once you do that you will have more of a feel for what you want. It's good you are doing your research and asking questions.

Damon Witt
Galaxie Marine Pro Staff
Skeeter/Yamaha Staff

my .02

Post by Guest »

Hi Morgan..

To start off with... I was a Basscat owner and they make great boats no doubt about it. Fast and very nice to fish from. I too am not a huge Ranger supporter (although I love the staff at Angler's Marine)... I like to be different (as long as I don't drop quality trying to be different) plus I hate their sales tactics... I like the incentive part.. but, the priority part is bad in my opinion. If you want a Ranger Tour... make it a Ranger Tour.. otherwise, run the Tour and the Ranger company separate and make it a level playing field for guys wanting into the events. I heard and saw first hand some pretty "odd" handling of non-ranger owners during last years Stren events (Your confirmed, your not, your in, your not...).

My current boat is a Legend.. The local dealership is Inland Marine in Antioch California would be your dealer and Frank Lozano over there is an outstanding guy!! Not sure how far that is for you but, it's not too far from Mossdale. I love my Legend.. it rides great, looks great and has every bell and whistle you can name on it. Fishing from it is also great, I have plenty of room in my 199 for 2 guys to fish very comfortably. It even has a removeable second console that can be replaced with a Z-20 style glove box. I think you should seriously consider checking them out. Before you spend 25-50,000 or more on a boat you should check them all out. Legends ride like champions and have all the bells and whistles like a Ranger. They are made with more flotation than a ranger so if you want to be like Gary Collins and fish all day with the plug out... you won't even notice a difference (I fished 2 hours with 4 people in my boat and never saw water anywhere... Bilge pump came on for about 15 seconds). I would be happy to take you on a test ride if you get up to Clear Lake or possibly the Delta..

Finally, test drive and fish from as many as you can before you make this kind of decision.... Unlike vehicles - you can get the same motor on any boat so that eliminates the whole reliability factor... Now it gets narrowed down to Ride, Fishability, Features and finally how it looks.

Just my .02...
JustinD

Re: my .02

Post by JustinD »

I recently bought a new BassCat and couldn't be happier with the customer service and the attentiveness the dealer gave me and my needs. No other dealer (Ranger, or anyone) even came close unless I was willing to spend the 50K. I got a good deal with a loaded little BC. Plus if your interested the Mossdale dealer handles a lot of ski boats and can hook you up with the little things like a stereo.....Makes a difference on those slow days I promise.
LL South
Shasta-Pro

Re: my .02

Post by Shasta-Pro »

Go with the Bass cat! Fast and dry!
Jim Conlow Sr.

Its very easy to end your confusion

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

Take The Legend ride.
Run it at 70 in rough water,
Run it through tight turns at full throttle
Come out of the hole immediatly
fish it on a windy day
Do a 180 hole shot thats puts you on a plane in the length of the boat.
Put an 8 foot rod in the rod locker.
After you have done all of this, all confusion will be gone.
I gave Frank Luzano of Inland Marine his first ride ia a legend. We did all of those things on a day when they would have cancelled a tournament.
On the way back to his old store his only question was "How do I become a dealer?"
Gary Yamamoto is a billionaire. He can afford whatever Bass boat he wants and I suspect that any one of the bassboat companies would give him a boat for free just to get the Bragging rights that Gary drives their boat. According to Dean Smith the owner of Legend Boats, from his mouth to my ears, Gary Yamamoto paid for his boat at the same or close to it price that I paid for mine as a sponsored member of the prostaff for Legend. To Me that just about says it all.
Take the ride. YOU WILL BE SUDDENLY UNCONFUSED

Jim
Jason Wood

Re: Its very easy to end your confusion

Post by Jason Wood »

I agree with Jim.... My 199 Alpha blows my Basscat Pantera out of the water!!! Jim showed me some trick stuff out on the water as well as Tom Leogrande on a test drive... Amazing boats that look and handle as well as they fish... That's more than I can say for myself!!!!
kb

Post by kb »

Morgan:

If this post doesn't confuse you then nothing will. If you are interested in a Triton and the dealer in Fresno isn't too your liking then like someone said give Mike and Tim a call at Allstar in Bakersfield or Ryan a call at Galaxie or Jody a call at Delta Sport Boat I invite you to take a ride in a Triton before you buy any boat. I have some experience in the above mentioned boats and the ride does not compare to the Triton.

We have a new model boat coming out in 07 called the X2. The 20 footer is rated for a 250 and the 21 will run a 300 if you so choose. Mercury is introducing the new 250 Pro XS that will carry a 3 year warranty with the option to purchase extended warranties. Mine is finishing production this week and will be on the water by the end of October. The 20 X2 with a 250 will run in the mid 70's if set up properly. The boats are widel, have more storage than any boat of it's size on the market. There is unmatched leg room, Spring seats, rod storage systems that hold 8 foot rods, tackle storage systems. The hole shot is awesome even with a 10" jackplate. One fuel tank for better balance at high speeds as well as when fishing. Large livewells, built in ice chests and your choice of thousands of color combo's built by you. Trailers have oil hubs, swing tongues, disc brakes, tandem axles, custom wheels, ratchet tie downs and your choice of fiberglass fenders, stainless fenders or painted fenders.

Any of you can feel free to drop me a line and I will help you with any Triton purchases including getting you out on the water for a demo ride. I will put the Triton ride up against ANY boat on the market. They hold resale value and have an awesome dealer network throughout the West.

Triton Network Dealers

Allstar Marine
Galaxie Marine
Nixons Marine
Complete Marine
Delta Sport Boats
Stanton Marine
Complete Marine
Aim Marine
and the dealer in Fresno you have visited.

Come take a ride in a Triton and if you find a better riding, more fishable boat out there I will make the call and set up the appointment for you at any of the other boat dealers, I know them all!!

If you want to compare pro staffs then take a look at Triton's. Guys like Greg Hackney, Aaron Martens, Gerald Swindle, Gary Klein, Shaw Grigsby and more and if you had the chance to ask any of them the biggest reason they fish out of a Triton they will tell you the boat and the company, mainly Earl Bentz.

Kent Brown
Triton Boats National Factory Team
Mercury Marine National Freshwater Fishing Team
Tobe

Re: So Confused..*NM*

Post by Tobe »

*NM*
Last edited by Tobe on Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
dobynsrods.com
oasiswatersport.com
pepperjigs.com
clearlaketackle.com
laserlures.com
492slayer

Post by 492slayer »

Morgan, there are a lot of great boats on the market. I own a Ranger ('97 492VS) because I always liked the 400 series and a new boat wasn't a wise financial move with my busy work schedule.
My suggestion for what it is worth is to go fish out of as many boats as you can before you buy. I don't mean take a test drive, actually go out and spend a day on the water fishing like you normally would.
Think about how much time you are running vs using the trolling motor working baits. They all will go fast when setup, and the first run of the day is about the only time that extra 1-2mph helps (.02).
If you fish tournaments alot, think of your boat as an office. Pick the one that gives you the most efficient work environment as well as comfort and fishability. Don't get caught up in the name on the side... Remember also that Champion,Ranger and Stratos are owned by the same parent company (GENMAR).
Good Luck and enjoy whatever you get. :mrgreen:
'97 492VS
335HP EFI by Simon Motorsports
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

Morgan if you decide on a basscat i have 1,000 voucher for mossdale boats in lathrop. not quite to the bay but worth the drive. My family is in clovis so i know the drive very well. Anyhow pm me if you do decide on basscat. - lancer
Jim Conlow Sr.

Which is it Jason?

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

Do you look better than you can fish or do you fish better than you look?
Jason Wood

Re: Which is it Jason?

Post by Jason Wood »

Man, I hope I look better than I fish or I'm in trouble!!!!
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

I agree with 492. Fergit the names, the hype and all that. Go try a few out for yourself. Even if you are looking at a memo or pro-staff boat you are going to be dropping some serious money so you want to get what works best for you, not what someone tells you will work best for you. I would also suggest that before you decide that you take a look at some of the older models of whatever boat you are zeroing in on to see how well they hold up over a couple of years. Unless you are going to be turning it over every couple of years then that should be an issue as well! Look for stress cracks, cover latches & hinges, upholstery, trailer, etc.

Personally I have a Skeeter (TZX190/175 HPDI Yamaha) which I absolutely love because of the layout, stability and fishability of it. Pops right up out of the hole, and I'm very happy with the smooth and dry ride. For me it came down to a Ranger or a Skeeter, and the Skeeter worked out better for me. You may feel differently after trying them all out for yourself.

After you've taken a ride and fished out of a boat, jot down some notes as to what you liked/disliked about that particular boat. That way you'll have something to compare after you've done your homework. Also remember that the driver can have an enormous effect on how the boat is perceived to ride on the water! Some of these guys could've made my 16 ft Crestliner tin boat feel like a Caddy!
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
Jim Conlow Sr.

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

Dont Worry Jason no one will bother to look at you when you are in that new boat. It is a total beauty.

Jim
Morgan

Wow, what a bunch of great info!

Post by Morgan »

Thanks, everyone. You gave me lots of ideas. The Bass & Walleye link gave me new insite into the motor selection. I'm doing a complete checkoff list for myself about the features and will try them all. I would rather research and be happy in the end, so i'll take more time.

Morgan