DROPSHOT SET UP

GEORGE D.

DROPSHOT SET UP

Post by GEORGE D. »

LOOKING TO BUY A NICE DROPSHOT SET UP ROD ,REEL AND LINE WHAT BRAND DO YOU PREFER THANKS GEORGE
Schneider Fishing

Re: DROPSHOT SET UP

Post by Schneider Fishing »

I like the G•loomis DSR822C. I have used 2 different reels and both work ok. Thje Shimano Castaic 200SF and the Shimano Calais 200. I am going to try a Chronarch MG this next couple ofweeks but if money wasn't an object I'd be trying the new calais dc. I use 5 and 6 pound flourocarbon line.
Robert Schneider
My wife is my real sponsor

www.PhenixBaits.com
Bob La Londe

Post by Bob La Londe »

I have to say that the St Croix Drop Shot rod is not a bad rod. At $200 its almost as much as the G-Loomis. I've used both, and I own the St Croix. You are going to laugh though. My goto rod for drop shotting and split shotting is a Quantum Tour spinning rod at less than half the price. Model TES704F. I have caught a ton of fish on this rod. I like it so much that when I found a guy clearancing them out I bought five of them.

I think this is the guy I bought mine from:
http://cgi.ebay.com/QUANTUM-TOUR-EDITIO ... dZViewItem

At $39.95 that is a screaming price. $12 shipping isn't bad either, and I think he will combine shipping if you buy more than one. All of the brick and mortar stores have this rod at 69.95 to 79.95. I paid $79.95 for my first one and thought that was a great price for the rod. It does the job really well, and it is not too bad when you need to go spinning for a tiny blde or crank bait casting into the wind.

As to a reel. A lot of guys like to use a smaller reel for dropshotting, and I have a couple that work ok, but because I dropshot in relatively shallow water I tend to drop shot horizontally as much as vertically.

For casting lightrigs I have found a larger arbor reel seems to do a much better job. I have some Shimanos and some Daiwas in the size class usually used for this type of thing, but I have for most of my fishing found I like a larger size spinning reel. Something in the 40 size class instead of the 25 or 30 that most guys use. In fact my #1 spinning reel these days is a Daiwa SS Tournament 1600

Here it is on listed on EBAY as well:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Daiwa-SS-Tournament ... dZViewItem

That is not a great price, but it is cheaper than retail. I think Cabelas has them for around 89.95. It does hold a lot of line. 165 yards of 12 pound. That would be an absolute fortune in 6 or 8 pound flourocarbon. I spool it up with a 120-150 yards of a decent moderate price 10 lb mono, and then top it off with 60-80 yards of 8 pound flourocarbon line to fish with.

I am serious. That slightly larger reel will give you amazingly better casting performance with light rigs.

The rod is nearly perfect, and unbeatable for the price. The reel has two minor issues. Some guys do not like where the bail stops. It is just slightly off from where they feel comfortable. Particularly guys with smaller hands. I use two hands for everything for greater control so it bothers me not at all. In fact I never noticed it until somebody pointed it out to me when they borrowed one of my rods to do some finesse fishing. Secone, the bail roller screw can work loose and drop out dropping the roller and roller busing on the deck of the boat. I have actually only had this happen on one, and Daiwa put replacement parts in an envelope at no charge. I have four of these reels now. In order to make sure that did not happen again (and I don't think I really needed to) I put a tiny bit of purple Loc-Tite on the end of the bail roller screw.

This is an absolutely phenomenal combination. I usually have three of these rod & reel combos in my boat at any given time. One rigged for drop shotting and the other two rigged with mono for finnesse casting baits. I usually leave my expensive finnesse rods on the rack in the storage locker where I store my boat.
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com
Forums, Links, Contests

http://www.YumaProAm.com
Yuma Pro Am - Draw Team Series
mark poulson

Bob L., perfect post answer. Good job.*NM*

Post by mark poulson »

*NM*
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Brian Linehan

Re: Bob L., perfect post answer. Good job.*NM*

Post by Brian Linehan »

Wait for the new Dobyns Rods. They are going to be sweet!
B Becker

Post by B Becker »

I have given up on the spinning reels and went to a "lite" baitcaster....Bass Pro has a "Pro Lite" reel (it is yellow), that is flat out awesome.....my team partner has about 6 Shimano Scorpions (the ultralite, purple reels, that are made in Japan)....and my Pro Lite is just as good....I throw it with a 6'6" Browning Midas rod (MH).....I am a different kind of drop-shotter though, so this is what works for me.....I don't use drop shot hooks, and nose hook baits.....I use the Rebarb hooks that Roboworm makes (size 1 or 1/0 (light wire, gamakatsu)--depending on bait)....and I texas rig my dropshot bait.....I use 8lb fluoro (Maxima) or 8lb mono (Maxima) depending on what lake I'm fishing.....I can throw 1/8 oz darter head or drop shot a country mile with this setup....the reel is $99 and the rod is $129.....I know everyone has their prefrence, but this is my baby now, I have been through a ton of setups, and I am done shopping.....just my .02
Brent Becker

Sponsors:
www.brentbeckerfishing.com
www.skeeterboats.com
www.basspro.com
www.bassaholics.com
www.maxima-lines.com
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

I use a Loomis same as above. I'm not as good as BBecker tossing the really light stuff on bait casting gear. I'm right handed and I feel I'm much faster with my right hand so with plastics I use spinning gear as that tap tap has to be responded to quick as opposed to a crank where you want to be slow. That's were I use my baitcasting most effectively...but that's just me. I don't feel with a dropshot set up you need to worry much about making super long casts so I don't have to spend an arm or leg on the reel. I am a proponent of using power pro and flourocarbon and don't worry to much about the fish seeing my line in my ultra clear Cachuma as it hasn't made a difference other than MORE fish come to the boat.
Rip
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
buddy brown

Post by buddy brown »

I use the Loomis sjr782 imx for dropshotting. The great thing about this rod is its parabolic action on the hookset and its got a great "noodley" tip action. The reel is a 1500 shimano sustain w/ 6lb izorline XXX. The shimano symetre is a great little reel for the money as well
DougH

Post by DougH »

For daytime I like my Shimano Crucial rod 6"- 6" MH with the good old Stradic 2500. 8lb "in viz X" Floro. 6 lb floro doesn't seem to hold up for some reason, and the fish don't seem to mind.
For nighttime I like my Rougue MB 704C 7' MH with the Curado CB200SF spooled up with 15 lb Hi-viz-X Floro.
Rigging hooks always, they rarely miss.
Don't ask why I use floro at night, I think it transmits the bite well, and I can pound the fish without worrying about snapping it. I'm a big fan of Seaguar line.
basssjk

Post by basssjk »

Quantum makes a rod for Shaw G. it is made for drop shotting you can check it out on anglersarsenal.com I use it, its a perfectly balanced rod with the PT 20 spinning reel.

Kelly ....
Nicholas H.

Post by Nicholas H. »

Ok, first off I'm going to give you some ideas as to what I feel are currently great set-ups

Light line 6lb,5lb and 4.5lb (All Sunline Invisible Fluorocarbon) This line IS ONLY AVAILABLE in the US from one place. Angler's Marine in Anaheim! Come by and pick some up at the upcoming Bass-A-Thon November 4th and 5th. This product IS ONLY AVAILABLE TWICE A YEAR TO ANGLER'S. It's THE BEST light line Fluorocarbon on the market!

Can I also say that if you are going to be dropshotting with 6lb test or lighter, do so on a spinning reel! The drag systems on spinning reels are FAR superior to a baitcaster's drag system. The start up and constant pull is MUCH SMOOTHER than the "Jerky" baitcasters system.

Heavier line, try the Sunline FC Sniper in 7lb-10lb. If you're going to be using a spinning reel with this lb test fluorocarbon, SIZE UP your spinning reel, for example, I use a Team Daiwa Sol 2000 spinning reel for my light line applications, but if I were to jump to 7lb or greater on a spinning reel, I'd size up to say either a 2500 or 3000 size spinning reel. You need the larger diameter spool to handle the stiffer fluorocarbon lines in that pound tests.

Rods- 6lb test and lighter, use a medium light action with a fast to extra fast tip

7lb test or greater, use a medium action with fast tip.

Hooks; nose hooking= Owner Mosquito Hooks in Size 2 (EVERY fish is pegged at the roof of the mouth)
Texas Rigged= Roboworm ReBarbs

Weights= TUNGSTEN ALL THE TIME! The combination of tungsten weights, Sunline fluorocarbon lines and a HIGH Modulus Graphite rod will allow to feel that fish LOOKING at your bait! Tungsten is great for feeling the consistancy of the bottom as well.

Feel free to stop by the Sunline booth at this year's Bass-a-thon, or Bass-a-Thong (if you're near the NoSweatMist booth!), Although Ray L. has been known to sport the dental floss every now and then! I'd be happy to help out anyone with further questions on Dropshotting.

Regards,
Nicholas
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

I have got away from spining reels also for D/S I now use Chronarchs 51MG's on a Shimano Crucial CRC-D70M and I'll tell you what I can cast a mile with this set up and its light and you can feel every little thing thats going on. I love this setup and you got to love the Warranty 8)
Charlie Wilkins

Re: Bob L., perfect post answer. Good job.*NM*

Post by Charlie Wilkins »

What's this about the new Dobyn's rods? Do you have anymore details? I'm looking for a rod to pair up with a chronarch 50mg.
Kelly Ripa

Not out yet Charlie....

Post by Kelly Ripa »

I have it on good authority that we will see the new rods soon as they are being made right now in a secret location by the BDO's elves... :D
LET'S GO BRANDON
Charlie Wilkins

Re: Not out yet Charlie....

I called Powell rods and they said Dec. 1.
Shawn R.

Post by Shawn R. »

Gotta agree with Mac on the Shimano set/up for $139 bucks you cannot buy a better rod then the CRD70-M (Dropshot rod). For weighing almost nothing this is the Strongest rod i have fished. Ive hooked fish up to 13.5 this past year and it absolutely kicks the hell out of them when i need backbone!!!! Im replacing all my rods as we speak!!
www.Finesseangler.com
Pictures are worth a thousand words!
Kelly Ripa

Somehow Charlie....

Post by Kelly Ripa »

I don't think that powell is going to be making these rods. If I'm right you'll know but I thought that the BDO and Powell were history a while ago?
LET'S GO BRANDON
Mark Hiser

Powell has absolutely NOTHING to do with Dobyns Rods

Post by Mark Hiser »

Gary is bringing out his own line :D Yes he's tryin for sometime towards the end of the year :D :D They will be worth the wait :D :D :D You will see them at a store near you soon :D :D :D :D

Mark Hiser
kazk

Post by kazk »

I like my CRS-D72ML for drop shotting I use the Shimano Symmetre 1500 reel and 6# Maxima Flirocarbon and a no. 6 Owner Muu Lite hook when nose hooking my bait

Chris Koda
Charlie Wilkins

Re: Powell has absolutely NOTHING to do with Dobyns Rods

Ok, I was unaware of the split.

Will the Dobyn's rods have the similar hook keeper? What's the expected retail and rod length?
Mark Hiser

Re: Powell has absolutely NOTHING to do with Dobyns Rods

Post by Mark Hiser »

well... It's too early to talk about the prices,[ not really sure at this time] but I can say that they will be competitively priced, there are several lengths, and yes they have hook keepers, but not really like the other company's :)

Lots of thought went into and is still happening on the designs and components that will be the final make-up for the Dobyns Rods. They will be worth the wait :D

Mark Hiser
dockboy

Post by dockboy »

My dropshot really depends on what the conditions are like or the lake I'm fishing. I have 2 set ups really.
My favorite is my light ds rod. It's a Loomis DS820 that I custom made with a split grip and titanium guides... I love it. I put an older 1000 series Shimano on it and it's awesome, perfectly balanced. But it's limited to smaller baits and open water. I like 4-6 Lb. flouro. on this rod and my hook is usually a Owner Mosiquito #4 or Gammy Split Shot Hook #2. The Gammy has lighter wire than the Owner, so I like to use it when I'm fishing the more standard 4" handpours. I nosehook with this rod. This rod gets 1/16-1/8 ounce weights. But since this rod is so light, you're really kind of limited to worms under 4" and light cover. This rod is great down to about 30' at lakes like Castaic, with lots of rock. Not good for deep stuff or shallow cover but great for tough, "light bite"days and real light line.
The rod I use the most however, is a medium action spinning combo, usually 7'. This is the rod I usually end up fishing. I have n't decided on a particular rod yet, but I really kind of like the feel of the Crucial rods from Shimano. Rogue has a blank in the same szie and power I like too, I'm thinking about building it custom. I put 10 or 12 lb. flouro on this rod and something more like 2500 size Shimano or 1600 Series Daiwa SS. I fish this rod with heavier weights, usually 3/16-3/8 or so. I find myself fishing this rod more than my DS820 bcz my local lake is shallow and full of cover. And this is the rod I'm going to for deeper water or bigger worms. I usually fish 4-6" worms here and typically T-rigged. I like the Owner J-hook Light for DS and the Gammmy EWGs in 2 are good too. I'll also use an Owner Mos. style in #2 if it looks like I might have to switch between nosehooking and T-rig on my DS that day. Best of luck.