BOATING ACCIDENT, VANITY CUP, HERE'S THE STORY, LONG

Bob Myskey

BOATING ACCIDENT, VANITY CUP, HERE'S THE STORY, LONG

Post by Bob Myskey »

First let me congratulate Mark Crutcher and Greg McCosker for their win with 74.2 lbs, what an awesome bag and what a lake. I told Mark the evening we registered it would take over 60 lbs to win. I myself had a 31 lb bag by myself on Thursdays pre fish. I believe there were 15 fish over 8 lbs weighed in on Sunday and the average size fish caught in this tournament for all fish caught was just over 4lbs. The Holder Ford tournament this weekend should be great, you can sign up for it at the last minute if you haven't already got in it. The Elite guys should find this lake just like Amistead. Now for the rest of the Story:
My partner Russ Stansbury and I had a limit of close to 20 pounds Sunday morning and with over 4 hours to go, knew we needed a couple of big kickers to maybe have a chance to get a check. (it took 47.68 lbs to get last place money). We were running spots to find bigger fish. I was doing 67 miles on the gps and had just looked and commented to Russ that a prop that I had just put on was allowing 5900 RPM's and we were doing 67. We were going across totally flat water, clear, calm, nice warm morning in a straight line. I had just said that, when we felt a violent jerk, in a split second, the boat took a violent turn to the left, absolutely no time to think and no control. All I remember is a white flash before my eyes which I am sure I had closed, I was under water and my first thought as I was trying to surface was that the boat had flipped and it would be on top of me.
When I surfaced and was spitting out water, trying to clear my eyes and seeing if all body parts were still there, the first thing I saw was Russ's shoe floating. I then saw Russ and he asked if I was okay, I said I was, he said I am okay too. My suspenders are manual, the cold water was getting me, I immediately pulled the ring hoping it would inflate. It did inflate and I have to tell you that yes it will keep you afloat, but it inflates so tight and large that you can harldy use your arms. Russ's vest is an automatic, it did not inflate, only a little bit in one sleeve and not enough to keep you afloat.
We both looked to see where to boat was which was about 30 feet away and started trying to get there, which in my case was difficult since the vest was so inflated that I was having a hard time trying to get on my back and use my arms to paddle towards the boat. We saw another boat going by and waved him over, he was able to pull us out of the water and get us back to the boat.
Here's what you need to know and decide for yourself.
1.--We were ejected at 67 mph's, if I had been knocked out, manual would be no good. Russ estimated he flew through the air about 25 feet, with force enough to tear off his tennis shoe, his automatic did not go off. I went out with such force that while holding onto the steering wheel, torqued it completley out of shape.
2.--This was not a normal lower unit failure, I have had three lower units go out on me on different boats. A normal failure is the gears will go, lock up, or put a hole through the housing.
3.--This lower unit actually separated from where it was bolted to the lower housing. It apparently swung and acted like a giant rudder.
4.--We were ejected sideways with Russ's side coming up into the air, the boat did not flip.
Russ has already purchased a regular life vest and I will probably be doing the same thing. I will no longer depend on a ""manual""type operation. I will tell you that I have ran many many times, by myself, or with others, without my life jacket on, or without my kill switch attached, or both, and yes even in tournaments. This was a wake up call in more ways than one regarding life vests, kill switch, saftey first, saftey of others, etc. In a split second with a 225 hp motor, a couple of thousands pounds of boat and at 67 miles an hour, your life can end. Yes you are probably a hell of a lot safer on the water than you are on the streets, but on the street you always have the seat belt on and airbags to protect you.
Well that's it, you decide on how you want to run your boat and what type of life vest's you want. I won't be responding to any post's, I have given it to you like it was. Russ and I are both sore, bruised up, minus a cell phone, minus a rod & reel, minus a brand new pair of prescription sunglasses, minus a boat, but ""guess""what, Russ managed to hang onto the tube of Mega Strike that he had in his hand when he took his 67 mph flight, and yes we are very thankful that neither one of us was hurt and that we are alive.
""The miracle isn't that I finished the race, the miracle is, that I had the courage to start""

www.fishclearlake.com
Mark Hiser

Re: BOATING ACCIDENT, VANITY CUP, HERE'S THE STORY, LONG

Post by Mark Hiser »

Mr. Myskey, Sounds like a very bad ride!!, glad to hear you and your partner are just sore and will recover, unreal that the lower unit would come unbolted like that, [ I'll be checking mine before heading down to your lake this weekend]. Has the shop been able to determine what might have caused such a catastrophic failure?

I wear the Mustang vest and it's always a question in the back of your mind if it will deploy when needed. I hate the regular vest, but won't let my wife wear my other " Automatic" style. Hell from the sounds of your incident a full on body suit and helmut might be in order :shock: .

Again glad to hear that you and your partner are going to heal and will fish again!!! :D Hope you sack em in the upcoming tourny.

Mark Hiser
Matt Moreau

Post by Matt Moreau »

Wow!!! That truly is an eye opener! And it hits home because we all have been there.

Glad to see you guys are ok!
"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."

Matthew Moreau
StockOption

Post by StockOption »

Very, very happy to hear you are both OK.

I recently purchased an automatic vest and will try to wear it more religiously.
Kurt
B Becker

Post by B Becker »

wow!! I will never wear a suspender type life-vest, and this just solidified my reasoning.....listening to Mike Goodwin's ordeal in Havasu in November and another angler on Mohave who went through his windshield after spearing a huge wave.....if he didn't have a full vest, the plexiglass would have gutted him like a fish!!!...his vest was torn up, and he was alive......I will ALWAYS wear my vest with the kill switch attached, even if it is 120 degrees on Mead in July!!!!

I am so glad you guys are ok, God Bless!!!
Brent Becker

Sponsors:
www.brentbeckerfishing.com
www.skeeterboats.com
www.basspro.com
www.bassaholics.com
www.maxima-lines.com
BassNCop

Post by BassNCop »

Bob,
We may need to talk.......This exact thing happened to me on Don Pedro a little over a year ago! You just brought back a horrifying memory! Only difference was my bout turned hard right. Geesh Cost was around $13k to fix everything. I have my thoughts of what happened. The one I always believed in was a submerged log. However that doesn't add up with me or my partner.

Oh and I will never use a inflateable vest just because you may not be able to pull that cord or it may not inflate as advertised!
lionkiller

Post by lionkiller »

Bob,

Glad that you & Russ are o.k. That was definitely an 'E' ticket ride! & thanks for the story. I was thinking of upgrading to an inflatable vest, but will now review in light of this -I run the Lake alone at night a lot, so this is definitely food for thought, especially as summer approaches & the yahoos come out of their winter dens.

Glad to know we'll still be seeing you around!
It's just a beating.....till you fight back.
Jerkbait0071

Post by Jerkbait0071 »

WOW Eye opener indeed! I have always liked the full vests no matter how cool the suspender type floatation devices look. I wear the full on thing when I'm in the boat, if I fall out or get ejected I know I'm going to float. My partner Dan and I last year on the delta almost got a chance to take a water sample. As we were coming through little franks I noticed one of those big tug boat types of ships going through the main channel. So me being in such a hurry to get to this spot because we were in a tournament and I had to get to this spot before the tide dropped I got right up on that big massive boat and cut right behind like I have done several times to avoid the wake. However this was not the case, Dan and I actually hit the inside wake and were catapulted straight up in the air like you would not believe. We probably went at least 5-6 feet straight up. Now I know 5-6 feet don’t sound like much, but at 55 MPH this can be fatal. When we hit it hurt me and Dan’s back’s and butts so bad it was not even funny, but I was thankful that the boat did not flip going that speed. That was a definite eye opening experience for both Dan and I. Here is what we need to take into consideration guys, some guys get a second chance some guys don’t. Safety first always guys, I’m so very glad that nobody was badly injured, or even worse in that accident. Somebody has a guardian angel looking out after them….. Get better soon guys.
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

Glad you are both going to be alright.
Thank you for sharing the story, that's eye opening for several reasons.
Take care and good luck in the future.
I had to come back...I know...
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

Wow, I am so glad you and your partner are ok and alive to tell us all about this and how it happened. I usually use a suspenders type but I just got sent a new Evergreen life jacket belt which is popular here since it is a law we have a vest on while in the bass boat. (even while fishing)

As comfy as this new belt type is I might have to re-think that. I know the auto's arn't dependable. On the flight deck of my ship we joke around and pull the cords of peoples float coats and 70% of the time they wont inflate.. makes you wonder....

Glad everyone is ok. the bruises will go away in time.

Kevin
Calistar

Post by Calistar »

Bob,
So glad that you both are ok after such a horrific experience. Over the years, I've been involved in some 'close calls' but nothing like what you described. Personally, I've always used the regular type vest eventhough it is sometimes cumbersome. Not only does it help my back from all that jarring (you ever ride with Shambre? :shock: :wink: j/k he's actually one of the better drivers I know) but anyway I know that if I ever end up in the water, I will float. I am now in the habit of whenever that big motor goes on, I put on the jacket. Its just second nature for me. Just like wearing my seatbelt in the truck.

Thanks for sharing your story...
Rich hamilton

Re: takes alot more than that to kill a tuff old bird like u

Post by Rich hamilton »

Just kidding Bob! How about a couple guide trips in trade for a few trips on the z21? We will keep it under 30 my friend! I will be up for the month of april. Reminds me when I hit the widow maker @ melonies upriver. glad you guys are okay. RR :shock:
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
stickbait

Re: takes alot more than that to kill a tuff old bird like u

Post by stickbait »

Boy .. that is a scarry story.. Glad you guys are ok !!

Vest question ?? .. Old style vest.. if you are knocked out, you would float face down .. NO ?? .. Most likey drowning .. if help would not arive in time

Are they strong enough to roll you over if you were out cold and onto your back ? ?
NaCl

Great lessons...thanks for sharing.

Post by NaCl »

First Bob, I'm very thankful you guys came away in such good shape when it could have been some much worse.

Second, thank you for sharing your story. I've been using the manual Sospenders for quite a time now and I've had a lot of second thoughts about them for the very reasons you mentioned. After reading your story, I think I'm going back to the full traditional life vest.

Thanks again,

.....NaCl
TTCal

Post by TTCal »

Wholly Cow Bob.. glad you are both alright.

Thanks for sharing your story. I've been thinking about trying those sospenders but had always wondered about their reliabliity... you've helped eliminate the wonder.

Take care and thanks again.
Dennis "Cal" Shew
Enthusiast Tackle Editor
Tackle Tour : The Angler's source for tackle news and reviews
www.tackletour.com

[i]fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside[/i]
bassrippin365

Post by bassrippin365 »

after that life jacket test,I am definetly going back to my regular vest.
Kill switch is going to be attached as well.Thanks for the eye opener and I too am glad you both are alright.
safelight

Post by safelight »

Hey Bob,

First I wanna say I'm glad to hear you and your partner are okay. I'm glad someone above was keeping an eye on you two.
I definitely can understand anyones apprehension to using manual or even auto inflate PFD's(personal flotation device) after hearing numerous stories like this so let me suggest what you might try to decide which is truly safer. Test both a traditional vest and the new Hydrostatic inflatable versions while wearing full winter clothing, bibs, & boots(always prepare for worst case scenario). It may seem a little silly, but jump in you or your neighbors pool dressed like this and relax like you are knocked out and see what happens. Depending on how heavy you weigh, you might find that the Hydrostatic auto inflate vests are the way to go. Especially since the automatic water pressure sensitive triggers(inflate only when submerged in 4" of water or more) are much more reliable and maintance free for 5 years as opposed to the dissolving aspirin type triggers that can auto inflate, or not, at the most inopportune time. If you like, I will let you try one of our new Mustang versions from West Marine at no charge. Just make sure you've got someone to pull you out of the pool! Bob, you or anyone else can call me anytime at 925 200-9825 if you are serious about wearing the best vests and I will make sure we get you what's right for YOU.

And don't forget a boarding ladder!
Topwater All Day

Post by Topwater All Day »

Wow, what a ride that must have been! Not fun at all, and glad to hear there were no serious injuries! I have always used the old style vest and will stick with them. I have tested mine in the pool and it does float my fat butt upright!!! So thats all that counts in my book. I'll have to try it with all the winter garb on, as I was only wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Anyway, thanks for sharing and I am sure this will only help people to remember to wear a vest!!! Hopefully we can all remember safety first out on the water.

Glad to hear your both ok!

Rob
TopCat

Post by TopCat »

Right off the bat, I'm very happy that you and your partner were not seriously injured and of course survived the accident.

Manual inflatable's are junk for bass boats! They move much too fast and things can and do happen that can render you incapable of pulling the chord. They have a place, and 70 mph in open boat is not one of them.

Auto inflater's have some maintenance issues associated with them. They are well documented on the vest and such can't be removed easily either.

But the US Coast Guard did not just hand out a certificate of applicable use and approval for the price of a postage stamp either. There is provable technology behind these vests, limitations yes, maintain them, yes.

I also would not think that a PFD of any kind could replace body armor, though of course layers are added for the common occourance of boaters getting thrown through their wind screens. If such is a strong fear, remove the wind screen.! :)

Maybe another valid question is why did a gear case blow out in the manner you have described? Maybe the gear case is of greater concern than the pfd chosen. Every possible factor needs to be looked at because it was just not the PFD's that failed. Well one apparently failed, did the manual pull on it work, or was that not tried? If it did not work, someone may not have performed the proper maintenance on the vest.

We all purchase items with expectations of performance. Most of the time the items we purchase today meet those expectations. But when a vest requires a 38 oz charge to inflate and only 15 are available in the three year old cartridge, that should be changed out annually.

(I should not have said such as it will be received as some sort of a challenge, it's not, just a very possible current situation).

My SOS's have gone off three times, all by themselves, twice inside a locker, once after a slight morning rain in TX after being worn all morning by a fellow angler. They had had no regular replacement in two years on two occasions, one was current and basically a surprise, but the service kit may have been old. I did not make a big notation out of it. But they did fill!

These vests are also equipped with a tube one can further inflate if needed, I suppose your buddy did this to fully inflate the vest?

According to the fellow from West Marine there is a newer technology now available. I've know about it till I read his post. Sounds nice, one needs to gather more info. Who makes this item for West? Where is more real information beyond purchasing is available? (no I've not looked, I'm being lazy tonight).

But of course the ultimate gladness is that there are choices for all of us, for the types of boating we do and the type of risks we decide to take as well.
Bob Myskey

Post by Bob Myskey »

I did this post to draw attention to all the things we need to be thinking about in regards to safety, boat operation, using kill switches, and what type of life vests do you really need??
It's ironic that for the past months I have been discussing with my wife the need to update my vest from a manual to an automatic and that I was considering going to the newer ""Mustang"". I had recently re read the instructions on the inside of my vest, inspect annually, maint. required, etc. I had actually thought about pulling it to see if it would work since I do have the replacement 38gram cartridge. I had stopped at the booth at the ISE show in Sacramento in January and had discussed the Mustang vest with the rep.
Topcat, you make some good points, we all have responsibilites to make sure our equipment is in good order and follow the MFG's specs. No I don't think my partner tried to pull his manually but he is was not having the trouble staying afloat that I was. Being a much younger man and able to handle the colder water than I was, I think his concern was for me first. Yes my vest worked and worked so good that it was a comforting thought that I was going to stay afloat, but I can tell you that there was going to be a big problem with me trying to pull myself back into the boat since the vest itself kept me from being able to get my arms up over the rail of the guy who was trying to pull us out. If my vest had not inflated, I can tell you that trying to open it up and blow on that tube with the cold I was feeling and the weight of my clothes would not be something that would be easy, but yes is a last resort.
Safelight, (Charley), you make the best points and yes I will be calling you for the Mustang. Your point of having a boarding ladder is another one of those issues that I have been considering for years and now is the time to get it done. I know you are in the second day of the National Guard series on the Delta, Hang in there, you are doing good.
Thanks' to all of you for your concern, I for one will be pursuring some upgrades to my equipment.

www.fishclearlake.com
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

Scary! I am really glad that neither of you were seriously hurt.

I bought two of the auto/manual SOSpenders a couple of years ago. My reasoning behind the auto-inflation was exactly that - if you get thrown from the boat, who can say what else is to follow? You could get 'clocked' on your way out of the boat, you could hit a rock or stump, or you could get hit by yours or another boat or jet flea and not have the wits about you to remember to pull the cord.

I will be ordering my recharge kits this week...

As for getting back into the boat, my first thought is to hug the big motor and use the tilt to lift you back in. But what if - as in this case - the lower unit isn't there for you to hang onto? A "portable" type of boarding ladder might be something to consider but what happens if you are out by yourself and you decide to get wet? You can't get into the boat anyway so that means you can't get in to set up the ladder either... You can hope someone else comes along to help you out as they did in this case fortunately!

I think I will also be looking for a "hi-vis" floating bag or case for my cell phone. Imagine if you are stuck, unable to get in your boat or maybe your boat don't float anymore, and your cell phone is your only hope and it is at the bottom of the lake! If it's bobbing on the surface in it's orange or yellow floatie then just maybe I can paddle my way over to get it and order a pizza or something!
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

ken great idea with the floating bag for the cell phone. im going to try and find me one before i go out this weekend. I wonder if Pizza LA delivers in the middle of our lake.
vinnybass

Post by vinnybass »

B Becker wrote:wow!! I will never wear a suspender type life-vest, and this just solidified my reasoning.....listening to Mike Goodwin's ordeal in Havasu in November and another angler on Mohave who went through his windshield after spearing a huge wave.....if he didn't have a full vest, the plexiglass would have gutted him like a fish!!!...his vest was torn up, and he was alive......I will ALWAYS wear my vest with the kill switch attached, even if it is 120 degrees on Mead in July!!!!

I am so glad you guys are ok, God Bless!!!
If that windshield cuts through your inflatable yer really poked.
Vince Zombro