New Boat Buying Advice

Cliff C.

New Boat Buying Advice

Post by Cliff C. »

I'm looking to buy a new Ranger Z20 or 21 in the near future and looking to get your advice on what I "really" need to include in the boat. My last bass boat purchase was in 1999. I'm not looking for votes on Merc vs. Yam. Just looking at thoughts on things like having the trolling motor pedal recessed or not? Trying to distinguish between the new trendy gadgets and the must have features.

This request may be a bit too broad but thought that it was worth the effort to ask. Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.
G-Ko

Re: New Boat Buying Advice

Post by G-Ko »

I would recomend the following, and this is what I am going to be looking at doing when I purchase a new boat.

Engine- I want the biggest possible, 225 or 250 optimax xs for me. Also I like the hot foot set-up to go with it. Really helps with control for me.

Trolling motor- biggest possible as well and always recessed, mine is minn kota 101. I am thinking of the sonar feature as well, but I don't know.

I always match the charger on board with the batteries. I want atleast 4 batteries on the boat with this set-up so a four bank charger will help for the overnight charging.

Electronics are your choice, but for me I want them networked and possible two GPS receivers for one on the front and the other on the back, that way no matter where i am in the boat I can mark the point more exactly.

I am thinking of adding an extra oxygenator to the livewell system, but i don't know 1) if it helps that much 2) is worth it. With the other extras, they are fun, but really get what you think you would se, otherwise it may just take up space that you need for other items.

Then deciding on the single or dual console is all about what the plans are. For me I am always taking some guests out and my dad is with me, so dual console is all i would buy. However if it was just me fishing tournaments and by myself mostly, I would get a single console.

Hopefully this gets you started, I know there are some others that can help more and give some more advice.

Enjoy, and good luck

Greg
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I hope to purchase a new boat in a few months and GPS is on top of the list.
Show me the water and I will fish.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I'd definately upgrade the electronics to the Humminbird SI side imaging. Same price as the top end Lowrance, totally different function. Like having on 3D glasses.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
M. Warner

Post by M. Warner »

definately go with a hot foot and pro trim, there awesome to have especially if your in rough water. I have always owned a yamaha engine, but there all pretty good anymore. also a 52 inch shaft with a 36 volt trolling motor is a must. Electronics, I have always had a lowrance, and now i have a lowrance 28c, its awesome, but i have heard that the hummingbirds side image is awesome also. check into them both.
Jeff Huth

Post by Jeff Huth »

Cliff,
What area are you from ? If your somewhat close to the Modesto area give me a call and I'd gladly meet you at the dealership there and go over some options with you.If your not that close or have a closer dealer, I could help you out and hook you up with another Ranger Pro Staff member that would gladly meet with you.Don't hesitate to use the pro staff, that's what there for.
Send me a PM if I can help in anyway.
Jeff Huth
big_gorilla

Post by big_gorilla »

I would agree with what these guys have said.

The recessed peddle a must. It's easier on the body and the legs.

36 Volt is better for the bigger heavier boats but I know a lot of guys that run the Digital 82 and it's got plenty of power.

Hot Foot and Pro Trim makes driving simple.

GPS a must. Most guys are going GPS on console and the bow but the bow isn't necessary in most cases.

Mercury, Yamaha or Evinrude? They are all good motors. I'm running a Yamaha but my new boat has a Merc. I hope to have it here soon.

Test things out and go with what feels right for you.

Good Luck!
First one in the box settles the nerves!
Smile_n_Jax

Post by Smile_n_Jax »

I would also recommend going with an onboard/towing charging system. The initial investment is small, it can be easily installed during initial boat set-up and you should never have to worry about your batteries being at full charge.
Jax Keilman
"I may be crazy, but it's kept me from going insane" - Waylon Jennings
'89 Stratos 269V, 90HP Yamaha. Small, but I love it.
Cliff C.

Post by Cliff C. »

Thanks for everyone's input and great advice!! This is very helpful.
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

Not sure if this is standard on A Z Ranger or not but the extra padded front deck area is great on my brother in-laws Z20
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
Phil

Post by Phil »

NOW THERE IS A DAMN GREAT IDEA FOR US OLDER GUYS ..EXTRA PADDED DECK. MAN AFTER ALL DAY STANDING ON ONE FOOT OR THE OTHER, ITS REAL HARD TO DO IT AGAIN THE NEXT DAY ..