Rod & Line suggestions for Frog Fishing...?

TDOSoldier

Rod & Line suggestions for Frog Fishing...?

Post by TDOSoldier »

What type of rod & line would you all suggest for Frog fishing? I’m thinking like a 7’ heavy rod and perhaps 30lb Spider Wire (or some kind of braid). I’ve been out of the loop of fishing for a few years so I need some help here. I lost 5 frog fish last week—didn’t get a good hook set—and they all took it under. I use mostly 15lb or 20lb Big Game for the delta (spinnerbaits, crankbaits, buzzbaits, rattletraps etc.). I’m just not up on all the different fishing lines these days, plus on a budget. Would appreciate some suggestions. Thanks and God bless.
Jesus is Lord of all! Follow Him and He will make you fishers of men as the Scirptures says.... Timothy D. Oliver ><>, Director, CHRISTIAN SOLDIERS MINISTRIES
G-Ko

Re: Rod & Line suggestions for Frog Fishing...?

Post by G-Ko »

Use as heavy of a rod as possible. I heavy flipping stick or someother heavy rod will satisfy. However the number one thing on throwing a frog, escpecially on the delta, is to throw braid. I throw 65lb braid and recomend throwing nothing less then 50. 30lb braid is better then mono, but I would step it up. Personally I would never and cringe at the thought of using mono on a frog.

Greg
Contact me at Kosich & Callahan Insurance for a free quote for home, auto, boat, or Business Insurance.

GKosich@Kosich.com
925-284-3911
Slippy

Post by Slippy »

Power Pro 50 lb test is great stuff, casts smooth unlike other braided lines. I guess im kinda different from others i like a 7 foot cranking stick to throw frogs.
LL
Cooch

Hey TDO!

Post by Cooch »

Rest assured, the line ya used had nothing ta do with the missed bites last weekend! I experienced the same thing, that's just frog fishin out here when we got the early season cool mornings. The fish really aren't committting to eat that bait real well yet. I only stuck one frog fish last week, and it was over 9 pounds and barely made a swirl when it sucked the frog in. All the other strikes were very aggressive and I came up empty!

Certainly for frog fishing though, 65# braid seems ta be the desired line. You can find good braid from companies like Power-Pro, Stren, Gorilla, Stealth(Berkeley) ta name a few of the common brands. If yer not going to use braid, use something like a 25# Big Game, that's Mike Reynold's choice fer froggin, can't be all bad!
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

I use a Lamiglas 797 magnum grass rod w 50# power pro braid most of the time,, this rod is all about horse power. For more open water frog walkin stuff I'll use my Lami 806. I used to use 65# but switched back to 50# cause I get a little extra distance on the cast and a little extra movement out of my bait. Just have to retie a bit more w 50# but I feel the extra distance is a worthwhile trade off.... 30# will work in open water situations but you can snap it on a hard hook set if you're using a heavy rod and you will need to cut and retie even more. Last week I stuck every fish that ate it, non missed,,, yesterday only missed 2 or 3,,,just keep watching cause not every bite actually takes the bait, keep working until it disappears. I swing the second I lose sight of it... I don't beleive in wating till your rod starts to load with frog fishing.. especially in the slop where an extra second or two gives that fish all the time she needs to get so buried you'll never get her out..
TDOSoldier

Re: Hey TDO!

Post by TDOSoldier »

Thanks to all for the input and suggestions. I really appreciate it. Hey Cooch, thanks for your input as well. Not sure if you recognize me, I would hope you do. It’s been a long time…. Still wish I didn’t have to sell the 395-V Ranger I purchased from your friend Alan, now that was a solid boat…. Anyway, I purchased the 19.4’ 1997 Fisher FX with 200 EFI Mercury that was up for sale here a couple of months ago (got a good deal so I’m able to get out on the water again). Hope to see ya out @ the Delta sometime :D . God bless you all!
Jesus is Lord of all! Follow Him and He will make you fishers of men as the Scirptures says.... Timothy D. Oliver ><>, Director, CHRISTIAN SOLDIERS MINISTRIES
Cooch

Hey Big Daddy!

Post by Cooch »

Tell us more about this here "grass" rod from Lamiglass! No more holding out on us! HAR! HAR! HAR!
Phil

Re: Hey Big Daddy!

Post by Phil »

Currently 7' heavy Extreme with 20 lb green Trilene XL and 7' med hvy Extreme with 20 lb green XL Trilene, Did I say Trilene. I use them both for Frog, Spinnerbait and Jigs. Oops and Spooks. This Jigs and braid just don't get along to well.
Lance

Post by Lance »

TDOSoldier,

There is one guy on the Delta thats known for froggin and thats Bobby Barrack. Thanks to sTony's site you are able to view 3 clips of Bobby talking about froggin and the type of gear you need.

http://www.westernbass.tv/archive.php?angler

Good Luck
Friendship is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Re: Hey Cooch!

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

C,mon now, don't be a hater. If the Q's is asked, I give my .02$, over and over and over and over, until they bleed from the ears...

Check Bobby's sight and see what he recommends..... he's the guy who got me started on this big Lami rod kick... Need I say more
big bass beckstrom

Post by big bass beckstrom »

a loomis 864 w/ 65 pound power pro braid
jcruz

Post by jcruz »

GLoomis 844 GLX w/ 50 lb power pro. Open water - 7' Rod is light and allows for more accurate casting when attempting to drop that frog in small tule openings while running a bank.
fishercurtis

Post by fishercurtis »

I agree about Bobby. Everytime I have fished with him it has been 7'6" heavy rods with 65#braid. I have never broken one off on that set up. Allthough I like the R2S frogs better than Bobbys(shhhhh..) Thats not a guy I would want to piss off. I am 6' & 200# and he intimadates me.
Curtis
It's All About the Hook up
Esin Restaurant & Bar, Revel Kitchen & Bar
TDOSoldier

Post by TDOSoldier »

As strange as it may sound; Bobby was my best friend back in the mid to late 80’s and early 90’s. I met him at Walton’s Pond in 1985 and we became best friends. I use to take him to Del Valle before he had a boat. Another funny thing, I put him in on his first Small mouth Bass @ Del Valle. Bobby and I fished countless times in my first 15’ BassTracker and use to tear them up; Shane was with us many times too…. These days we don’t talk much, I live in Fremont and he is very busy…. You see my back went bad for over 8 years so the last Tournament I fished was a Red Man in 1994…. I have fished off and on over that time….

When Bobby and Shane McBride got an apartment (in the 80’s) we use to pitch our jigs and spinners baits in cups for hours while chewing tobacco...then pitch our spinnerbaits in the swimming pool. Bobby, I believe, was one of the first guys to pitch the spinnerbait with a splash less entry. That’s one of the ways he did so good in the Redman draws, and obviously he was destine to make it as a pro…the rest is history as you all know. So the casting, flipping, and pitching come right back to me. Bobby is no doubt the most intense fisherman on the waters. Never thought about asking Bobby about the frog setups him being so busy and all. In the last few years I’ve only seen him at some of the Sportsmen shows. And due to a bad ankle injury I didn’t make it to the last two seasons of shows.

The Lord has had other things for me to do since 1994…. I’m very thankful He is allowing me to get out to good old Delta again. What a blessing. I sure missed these great outdoors. Again, I thank you all for such good information and suggestions. God bless you all!

PS I sure miss Bob and his family; they were like family to me…things change…God had other plans for me…. I hope to visit him in the near future. We did exchange e-mails of late to that effect.

PPS Remember this, don’t let this sport take you away from your family’s, they should be your priorities. Think of them first, then yourselves. I’ve made some bad mistakes, and have seen many over the years lose their families over bass fishing…. And of course, the Lord comes first, then family etc…. Again, may the Lord truly bless all of you.
fishercurtis

Post by fishercurtis »

Well I have to say, these guys that fish the delta on a regular basis and produce are incredible. Barrack is amazing and the most agressive fisherman I have fished with, that man will fish until your arms are ready to fall off. Cooch's knowledge of what these delta bass are doing on a day to day basis is unreal. He knows when and where these bass are every day. He can even tell ya which Grappa they prefer.( that's only cause that's how he gets em to talk). Cooch has to be the most intelligent fisherman on the delta there is. Don't let him fool ya. These guys are the most valuable river rats there are. If only we could get em to talk. Hey Cooch, I got dinner and some grappa for ya anytime buddy. We gotta leave that cheese cake up to the other Cuccia.
Curtis
It's All About the Hook up
Esin Restaurant & Bar, Revel Kitchen & Bar
Cooch

Hey Big Daddy.....

Post by Cooch »

Let me rephrase my Q! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You said:
I use a Lamiglas 797 magnum grass rod
I said:
Tell us more about this here "grass" rod from Lamiglass!
I'm not a hater, hell, I own 10 rods built with Lamiglas blanks! I just wanted ta hear yer story bout this new "grass" rod of theirs, can't find word of it on Bobby's sight! :lol: :lol: :lol: