FISHING LINE FOR TOPWATER

GEORGE D.

FISHING LINE FOR TOPWATER

Post by GEORGE D. »

JUST STARTED TO GET IN TO THROWING SPOOKS AND SAMMYS AND OTHER TOPWATER WHAT LINE AND BRAND DO YOU RECOMEND BRAID OR MONO AND ALSO WHAT SIZE THANKS EVERYONE GEORGE
FATGUY

Re: FISHING LINE FOR TOPWATER

Post by FATGUY »

i throw mine on 20lb fireline.. the braid keeps the line up it floats.. the one to avoid if any flouro ..its heavy and sinks ..
Buzzbait

Post by Buzzbait »

Yeah, I just read that mono is good for top water only, and flouro is good for fishing deeper. It was an article on this site I think.
[img]http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/16813/7d/www.walmart.com/i/catalog/modules/G0040/walmart_logo2.gif[/img]
Jim Scarlett

Post by Jim Scarlett »

Braid for fast topwaters, flourocarbon for poppers.
basssin is the way I want to go.
redPHish

Post by redPHish »

Are you serious? FLuorocarbon for topwaters? Wow... You know fluoro sinks right? You know that's the worst possible option for topwater fishing right? hmmm....
SethB

Post by SethB »

15# big game. casts well and tough stuff!!!
Take a kid fishing
Colebass

Great suggestion!

Post by Colebass »

I use to use 15# Big Game all the time, not sure why I went away from it! But I'm back to using it and it's great stuff for poppers and spookes! For frogs, use braid!
Dave Cole
Colebass

I hope your being funny?

Post by Colebass »

Because Fluoro sucks for almost all topwater!
Dave Cole
Fishin' Dave

Re: I hope your being funny?

Post by Fishin' Dave »

HA!! Jim, floro sinks!
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.
Cooch

Braids....

Post by Cooch »

85# Stren Braid. I'm slowly replacing all of my topwater rigs with this braid. Simply awesome stuff! Biggest thing I like with the Stren, is ya don't git that periodical, snap, concussion break on the hook set or while casting, that occurs with many braids. I've been kinda fond of the 65# Gorilla braid too. It's just got a much larger diameter, and is not so versatile with smaller topwater baits.
Phil

Re: Braids....

Post by Phil »

50LB POWER BRAID
Joe W.

Post by Joe W. »

Jim Scarlett wrote:Braid for fast topwaters, flourocarbon for poppers.
Do not fish poppers with flouro!! It sinks and kills the action of the bait. I cannot think of one good reason why it would be good for any topwater bait.
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

speaking of top water ....i had a great top water day!!!!......Mono is good and so is braid. if the top water action is ALL OUT>.....then i would use mono so i don't have to worry about my lure backlashing into my face...casting braid takes suttle swing. i do not have to much luck checking lures with braid violently...

SO for mono you pick the brand you like..and i would go for the bigger lures 15lb to 20lb depending on the size of your lure and what your fishing around. i was using 12 today and what happened was my line kept getting caught in my front hook. if i was using 15 it would have happened less due to thicker mono floats better.

Braid, it's up to what your fishing in and with. 30 is good. 50 is sometimes a must, frogs 40, 50, and 65. big baits you might need 65 or 80.

good luck, saLTIE-