swimbait reel?

lobina

swimbait reel?

Post by lobina »

Just wondering what kind of reel is most popular for swimbaits. I plan to buy two Powel swimbait rods, a H and a MH 7'11. Now I need two reels. thanks, any advice helps.
Ron Diacon

Re: swimbait reel?

Post by Ron Diacon »

Try the new Shimano Curado 300 made just for swimbaits ! Its also priced a little less than some of the more popular models such as the Shimano Calcutta 401. I believe that some of the stores even have a $50 rebate on shimano products.
Thanks,
Ron Diacon

http://www.basstackledepot.com
http://www.Gamakatsu.com
http://www.LimitLures.com
http://www.eyesurrender.com
http://www.MinnKota.com
http://www.McDonalds.com
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Just got the Curado 300 for a SB reel Friday -- Wife just found it and the Okuma rod/reel/line/bait last night all set up to go ....... :oops:

She has almost forgiven me fully already and I think I should be able to fish with it by Tuesday. :D (I told her it was for Luke's DTT Tourneys. :wink: )

They do have the $50 mail-in rebate program going on right now and that was the biggest factor on me getting a SB rod..... Other than the rod I broke with a small Osprey.
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
Phil

Post by Phil »

TRUTHFULLY, GO WITH A GARCIA 5600C4 LESS THAN $ 100 LAST FOREVER........REALLY
big bass beckstrom

Post by big bass beckstrom »

Daiwa Luna

Elliott
Elliott
www.basscat.com
www.mossdale-boats.com
www.blackdogbaits.com
www.fishdelta.com
Jason Milligan

Post by Jason Milligan »

For your Heavy rod you're going to want a good round reel with a lot of line capacity and stout gears. For your Medium Heavy I would suggest a regular low profile reel. What kind of reels are you using now? I try to stick with whatever brand I'm currently using. I like my gear to match and have the same feel.
Jason Milligan

Post by Jason Milligan »

Shimano makes the Cardiff. It's a round reel with strong gears and a lot of line capacity. It's only 85 bucks! Sort of a cheap version of the Calcutta. Great reel though. I heard a rumor that Abu Garcia is making a bigger Revo. This might be something worth checking out and maybe waiting a week or two for. I think an oversized Revo would be so much better than a Curado 300!!!
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

I don't know about the Calcutta 400's any more I have had more problems with these dam things. My Cardiff's have out lasted Both Calcuttas and I had the Cardiff's first. I have one Calcutta that just can't be fixed I guess. Been in and out of the shop since August and only used about 3 or 4 times max each time before going back :roll: . I am about to take a hammer to them LOL! My Cardiffs are still working but BOTH Calcutta's are down. I sent a message to Shimano and no reply AT ALL :shock: I can't believe it BOOOOOOOOOO
The Cardiff is not as smooth but if I can get two for the price of one calcutta and the cardiff's are lasting longer then SMOOTH means NOTHING but problems I guess.

Don.
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
RMARX

Post by RMARX »

Calcutta 400B OR 400TE - Best hands down if you are serious, Not to say anything bad about Powell, but the new Dobyns Mag Heavy is a nice lite Swimbait rod, and better than both the Powell or the Okuma Rods.
Jason Milligan

Post by Jason Milligan »

Don is right the Cardiffs are sick and will last you forever. 85 bucks! Now, how can you say the Dobyns are better than the Powells? That's absurd! They are both great products and I'm sure Gary would second that. After all, who designed most of the Powells...
RMARX

Post by RMARX »

Absurd?! Your right a Cardiff is way better than a Calcutta :roll: , if it is on a Tiger Stick and your fishing for rock cod. :evil: I own all three rods, and my opinion is the new Dobyns rod is a better rod than the Powell or the Okuma's, just my absurd opinion.
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

bassindon69 wrote:I don't know about the Calcutta 400's any more I have had more problems with these dam things. My Cardiff's have out lasted Both Calcuttas and I had the Cardiff's first. I have one Calcutta that just can't be fixed I guess. Been in and out of the shop since August and only used about 3 or 4 times max each time before going back :roll: . I am about to take a hammer to them LOL! My Cardiffs are still working but BOTH Calcutta's are down. I sent a message to Shimano and no reply AT ALL :shock: I can't believe it BOOOOOOOOOO
The Cardiff is not as smooth but if I can get two for the price of one calcutta and the cardiff's are lasting longer then SMOOTH means NOTHING but problems I guess.

Don.
and I thougt I was the only one with calcutta issues... my 401TE is less than a year old and I've had to send it back to shimano twice already.......they won't replace it and it's still not as smooth feeling as it should be :cry:
RMARX

Post by RMARX »

WOW! I have two TE's and eight 400B's and have had no problems! It has to be the water in the delta and Clear lake!
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

Robert do you do swimbaits only? NO. Thats why yours last LOL. Mine are the 400B but still for 200+ dollars I would expect them to last at least a year :evil: I was casting just as far as you with the Cardiff. I will by two Cardiffs before I get another Calcrapout LOL! I think I will try a Luna next or the Curado 300. Or am I not serious enough :lol: Just stating what I lived. You can't tell me it was just a dream LOL!!! I wish it was just a bad dream. Everytime I look I have over 400.oo of reel not working :shock:

Don.
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
SHAFT

Post by SHAFT »

The Cardiff can't be beat for the price
RMARX

Post by RMARX »

LOL - I guess my cast to fish ratio is just way better than yours!! :twisted: :P I guess if I had kicked down the cash and had problems I would be pissed as well. Have a good morning, I am headed up after I drop the boy off at school.
Fishitifyoucan

Post by Fishitifyoucan »

Just got myself a Cardiff 401 and man does it cast a mile......still retrieving my first cast........anyway, great reel.

also have the 300 and it's a nice one too, however, the 401 is much bigger.
markscolwell

Post by markscolwell »

Quantum cabo. I got two and the have held up so far! Plus, they are low profile and don't hurt my hands!!
Whether in the military or in life, Service is the price for living!
lionkiller

Post by lionkiller »

Here's some skinny on the Revo Inshore:

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewabugarciapreview08.html
It's just a beating.....till you fight back.
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

Cardiff 400 series and a Dobyns 806MLSB is a beautiful thing!
http://www.dobynsrods.com
Steve45

Post by Steve45 »

I have the Luna 300 and like it very much, I did get it for my birthday from a good friend, that I have built several Swimbait rods for and was going to get one for him for Christmas, I can say this, that I have caught 2 bass this year using the Luna 1 that went 11 pounds and the other went 10.90 pounds, and I absoultley love the reel on my custom built Swimbait rod. Steve
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

I use Calcutta 300TE's, but they cost about 80 billion bucks. The 400 was too big for me to use with comfort. Now that there's a regular 300 I'd use that instead. I think you just borrow a few rigs for a couple casts, and see if you like it. Remember it's good to spend lots of $- you're stimulating the Ca. economy. :wink: [/i]
lobina

Post by lobina »

So it looks like It's between the Cardiff and the Curado as far as reels go and between the Powell or Dobyns rods. thanks again for all the help guys!
fishercurtis

Post by fishercurtis »

My sweetie(esin) bought me a Curado 300 and I hadn't thought about using one for swimbaits until I used it. Man it is the way to go.
Curtis
It's All About the Hook up
Esin Restaurant & Bar, Revel Kitchen & Bar
big bass beckstrom

Post by big bass beckstrom »

get the powell
Elliott
www.basscat.com
www.mossdale-boats.com
www.blackdogbaits.com
www.fishdelta.com
Dan McKenzie

Post by Dan McKenzie »

I'm using a quantum "cabo", so far I like it and the price is right less than 150.00 It holds a good amount of 25lb line and it casts a mile. It is fairly low profile and comes in a lefty too. I have never purchased a quantum anything, so I'll see how the reliability is down the road, but I figured if I didn't like it for swimbaits I'll use it for inshore fishing.
Scott D.

Post by Scott D. »

Daiwa Luna is AMAZING!!! Very impressed. Shimano's quality I think has gone down. Go with the Luna, you won't be sorry.
Navy Chief proudly serving to protect this great nation. God Bless America
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

I have a Daiwa Millionaire ( preLuna ) and its just awesome

I just got the Curado 300 and I do like it a ton, no real test on it but it does cast great and it fits my Dobyns SB rod ...beautiful
ERICK PRADO...Peace