Why do you fish?

wccjanel

Why do you fish?

Post by wccjanel »

I am a Christian and recently had my vision of fishing changed by God. I have fished most of my life and whenever I fished, I left the water frustrated. You see, my purpose in fishing has always been skewed. But, I never realized this until recently. I was always out to catch the big bass to put on the wall. That was my only goal. However, it literally never worked out. I always went home empty handed. Many weekend trips with my Dad ... Click link to continue ...

http://thefishiconcomi.createforum.net/ ... eview=db.1

or www.thefishicon.com

It's a great read from one of our brothers (shared with his permission)

God bless,
James
James Nelson
- Fish Inspired -
http://www.thefishicon.com/
Slippy

Re: Why do you fish?

Post by Slippy »

wow great question. I would have to say it's a part of me. Next to my family and my work fishing is the most important thing in my life. I really love everything about it, the fresh air the cold winter morning, the hot summer afternoons. Sometimes i catch alot and other time not so much but at the end of the day I feel relaxed, even if im fishing a tourney and not doing so great.
LL
biteme

Post by biteme »

Nothing better then being on the water and seeing the sun come up and go down. Its those spring days where the weather is soooo perfect. No traffic or people, is it spring yet!
Phil Burgess

Post by Phil Burgess »

BECAUSE ITS IN MY BLOOD!!!!!!! IT IS MY CHURCH!!!!!!SITTING ON THE DELTA OR THE LAKE WATCHING THE SUN RISE OVER THE LEVEE OR THE MOUNTAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THERE IS NO GREATER PLACE ON EARTH AT THAT MOMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

OH YA AND THE VOICES TELL ME TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Phil Burgess on Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ILL RIDE TO HELL AND BACK WITH YOU BOYS!!!!!!!!!!
bruizer343

Post by bruizer343 »

Phil Burgess wrote:BECAUSE ITS IN MY BLOOD!!!!!!! IT IS MY CHURCH!!!!!!SITTING ON THE DELTA OR THE LAKE WATCHING THE SUN RISE OVER THE LEVEE OR THE MOUNTAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THERE IS NO GREATER PLACE AT THAT MOMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

mincal

Post by mincal »

This isnt the first time i've heard of a christian saying that God had turned them away from fishing...i worked with a guy who said the same thing. I being a fellow Christian had thought it was interesting to hear this....and at the same time thought...God please dont do that to me...lol. But in my case it was a family tradition that has been passed on through the generations and i will continue to pass it on to my daughters being that i am the only one of six siblings that is still passionate about fishing to this day. i think my 3 year old is probably the best chance of preserving the tradition...we were watching the western bass tv episode today where they were fishing clear lake and eery time a fish was caught she was screaming and ju,ping and saying through it back...lol.

I dont go out everytime expecting big fish or if any i just enjoy getting away from the norm of society to bring me peace of mind and clear away my thought of daily struggle....In a way its like a session of deep meditation.

I always say it's called fishing....catching is just the bonus part
wccjanel

Post by wccjanel »

mincal wrote:This isnt the first time i've heard of a christian saying that God had turned them away from fishing...
mincal,

The above statement confuses me. Where in this string did you hear this?
Just curious.

Thanx,
James
James Nelson
- Fish Inspired -
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Phil Burgess wrote:BECAUSE ITS IN MY BLOOD!!!!!!! IT IS MY CHURCH!!!!!!SITTING ON THE DELTA OR THE LAKE WATCHING THE SUN RISE OVER THE LEVEE OR THE MOUNTAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THERE IS NO GREATER PLACE ON EARTH AT THAT MOMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

And Jesus was a sailor
When he walked upon the water
And he spent a long time watching
From his lonely wooden tower
And when he knew for certain
Only drowning men could see him
He said "All men will be sailors then
Until the sea shall free them"
But he himself was broken
Long before the sky would open
Forsaken, almost human
He sank beneath your wisdom like a stone
And you want to travel with him
And you want to travel blind
And you think maybe you'll trust him
For he's touched your perfect body with his mind. Leonard Cohen - Suzanne

SONGS OF LEONARD COHEN

December 1967
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
mincal

Post by mincal »

now that i read it a second time....i relize i missunderstood what was being said....but it was the point of Gods influence to change a persons outlook on fishing...my bad on my missconception of the message the fist time i read it.
wccjanel

Post by wccjanel »

ahh ... Bach

No worries. I thought I pasted something wrong.

Will you be there tomorrow night?

Peace,
James
James Nelson
- Fish Inspired -
nipples

Post by nipples »

Why do I fish?

Oh, I guess I could say having fun hanging, cussing, blowing off steam with my friends. And lets not forget the mental game, sticking toads, having fun, enjoying life, competition, accomplishment, beautiful surroundings, stress management, and the list goes on and on.

Your shared story sucks big time James... That's not a personal attack, just honesty. This is a fishing forum, not a religious nor political platform to further anyone’s agenda. So I normally steer clear of this sort of thing, but being that you opened the Jesus can, here comes the part where I exercise my freedom of speech in a polite effort to let you know that I find it irritating.

I have an extremely strong Christian upbringing, stronger than 90 percent of the people out there. I do believe I am fully qualified to offer an expert opinion about that story.

That story was pitiful, moronic, and lame. Some people think that using Christian buzzwords and phrases will fool others into believing their lies. Words like glory, lord, praise, worship, fellowship, etc. (and I do consider an exaggeration of the truth or withholding certain facts to obfuscate a story to be a lie)

I've taken severely handicapped kids and adults(mentally retarded) out fishing and helped them catch fish on tough water. These are not your typical "Hollywood high-functioning Down Syndrome" kids. These kids are functioning on a much lower level. Kids that will never grow up and make it to independent living. And they ALL caught fish. I've also seem some of the worst sinners in the world catch wall hanger after wall hanger.

So please.... Moronic witness stories like that leave a seriously sour feel in my stomach and I am not afraid to call it like I see it.

Most Christians today are all talk and puppets show, and never practice what they preach. Christian means Christ like... but I have only met a handful of self proclaimed Christians in my entire life of Christian upbringing that came remotely close to living the talk. (Those few are and were some incredible people, and I admire them and their conviction very much). However, I have met hundreds of Buddhists and Taoist that are more than twice the Christians than 99% of the self claimed Christians in the world. And that too is a stomach turning thought. Who is it that always casts the first stone? Why Yes.. it is the Christian church (which includes Catholics), good answer. Religion is responsible for more wars, genocide, mass killing, and horror than anything else in the world. Heck, the swastika is a religious icon that Hitler first saw on a stained glass window in a church in Belgium while attending services as a kid. The Christian cross as we know it today was a pagan icon the catholic church adopted in order to stop it being a pagan icon. Historians have proven the cross Jesus died on didn't look anything like the cross we know today.

My grandfather and 2 uncles are Christian pastors/preachers/ministers... I grew up going to church every single Sunday. Every Wednesday night I was at church youth group. I was at every church function. And in that time I have seen it all. Unfortunately what people claim to be and what they actually are, well they are not always the same.

Actions tell the truth and words are only words.

Whoever wrote that pitiful story is a horrible liar. Never caught any fish until he started fishing for god and not a wall hangar... sheesh. Anyone can catch a decent fish. I don’t buy that pitiful story for a second.

When I hit my late teens I started going to other churches to experience different religions. I would tag along with friends of different religions to their churches to experience what they were about. I wanted to open my mind to religion and search out the truth, because christianity has some seriously huge contradiction that make no sense at all. I did years of investigating and uncovered some things that made me the life loving, happy person I am today.

I uncovered the truth.

So today I don't consider myself religious, nor atheist, nor anything. I lean a little bit towards the Taoist side in my approach to life. But I still retain what I consider the good parts of my Christianity. I try to do unto others, and I believe in Karma.

Basically, I took what I felt was right and good about all religions, adopted them, and I threw out what I felt and knew was bad (like guilt, lies, and contradictions). Almost every culture we know about has a similar story and belief system to christianity . Some of it is good, and some of it is bad, some of it is a lie, and some of it is absolutely ridiculous.

Want a little bit of truth???

Can you handle the truth???

OK.. here you go…

Jesus didn't die for anyone...

Do your eyes deceive you??? How could I say that??? But yet I did...

You see, Jesus lived for everyone... He didn't die for anyone nor did he die for everyone... He lived for them.... He set an example to follow... “ I am the way, the truth, and the lightâ€
Do it like no one is watching...
Larry Douglas

nipples...

Post by Larry Douglas »

Beautifully said

Larry Douglas
ash
SpeedBump

Re: nipples...

Post by ash »

Well put Nipples.

Peace, Love and Hair Grease

This forum has enough "charecter" and bombs going down in the threads the last thing we need to do is host a Religious Crusade. Dear poster, if you noticed the Fishers of Men freely post thier tournaments, invitations etc... on this forum and they get no flack for it, as this is not an ANTI- RELIGOUS board.

You see the distinction is they are informing and truy creating events that are good fun not PUSHING their convictions down, just creating a space for like people to get together and fish, and you know what that is cool.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I fish for the pure enjoyment of being out in nature and the enjoyment of fresh food. As for being christen, etc. remember God said go and subdue and have animals under your subjection. Nothing wrong with hunting and fishing. Bill K :)
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
fishyd

Post by fishyd »

I fish because they just swim around like they own the place.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Theres many reasons I fish. But probably first and foremost would be because I enjoy solving problems, systematically analyzing things, and applying fish behavior and life history to accomplish the end goal. When everything comes together and you figure it out, and you have a successful day, its the sense of satisfaction that gets me going. Plus, I just flat out like to play with fish.
Bassphish

Post by Bassphish »

Wow Nipples, you said alot and you said it well, and without having to spred some love to the sharia followers of Mohammed. I rarely post, but had to this time.......

Now, to answer the original question, I fish because when I do work isn't on my mind. I get to reflect on and appreciate what I have worked for, which is family, friends, and being on the water.

Hooksets are free
R. Duzac

Post by R. Duzac »

Sanity :D

Even when I fish the club tournaments I will tell my back seater I'm out there to enjoy the day. Catching fish is a plus.
Enjoy the weather (bad or good)
Enjoy Scenery
Enjoy Friends

RELAX!!!

Thanks,
Rene
wccjanel

Post by wccjanel »

-- Nipples -- Paul --

Thank you for being honest. I take no offense, it wasn't my story I was just sharing. And if it was my story, I still wouldn't take offense, because I love a good debate with someone who's educated like yourself. Ask anyone who knows me, they'll confirm this. :roll:

I agree with what you said. Especially the part about folks of other religious backgrounds being more Christ like. A good person is a good person. I also agree heavily on freedom of speech, and I'm glad that you shared your views. Again, thank you for being honest.

If you want to hear from a proven big time money winning bass pro, check out Jay Yelas's Q&A tonight.

I've also sent you a PM with my story, so as not to overly interject the forum with my agenda.

Thanx again, and fish, fish, fish. That's what it's all about, eh?

Peace,
James
James Nelson
- Fish Inspired -
bruizer343

Post by bruizer343 »

Life is the journey between birth and death. It is far too short of a ride to get caught up in the trivial BS, make the most of it, and make it happy and fun.

+1 for Nipples.
wccjanel

Post by wccjanel »

bruizer343 wrote:Life is the journey between birth and death. It is far too short of a ride to get caught up in the trivial BS, make the most of it, and make it happy and fun.

+1 for Nipples.
I couldn't agree more.
James Nelson
- Fish Inspired -
nipples

Post by nipples »

wccjanel wrote:-- Nipples -- Paul --

Thank you for being honest. I take no offense, it wasn't my story I was just sharing. And if it was my story, I still wouldn't take offense, because I love a good debate with someone who's educated like yourself. Ask anyone who knows me, they'll confirm this. :roll:

Thanx again, and fish, fish, fish. That's what it's all about, eh?

Peace,
James
Wow.. Thank you James.. I was worried you might get offended and I tried my best not to offend you because that was the last thing I wanted to do. I really appreciate your reply. You just won some serious respect points with me.

As for Jay Yelas, he has a lot of respect point with me and I think he is one of the better pros on circuit. A far better role model than Iaconelli, and a high quality person. I know Jay is a Christian and I think he sets a great example and is one of those ones who tends to back the talk with action. In all the interviews I have read from his fellow BASS pros, They all like Jay and say he is incredibly nice guy, a great angler, and overall a real quality person.

I also know he comes out for some of the local Fishers of Men tourneys to hang with his west coast friends which is very cool.

And for those of you not in the know... SOCB_Hawghunter hit the nail on the head... Fishers of Men puts on some awesome tourneys, they have a lot of fun and they some of the nicest guys you can fish with. I would also add for the benefit of some, that if you plan on giving one of their tourneys a try, please respect them and try to save the cussing and beer drinking for other tourneys, and be prepared to be wow'd and impressed with how good of a tourney they put on. They put a ton of hard work, blood, sweat and tears into their tourneys and they always have a great time.

Thank you again James, Good fishing to all,

And thanks to the rest of you for the compliments, those are greatly appreciated too.

-Paul-
Do it like no one is watching...
long rifle

Post by long rifle »

I'm Christian, a fomer Marine and I do truely believe that our great country was built on God, Guns and Guts.

However, the reason why I fish is I can't hunt ducks 12 months out of the year.
If you can read thank a teacher. If you can read in english, thank a Marine.
Buzzbait

Post by Buzzbait »

wccjanel wrote:I am a Christian and recently had my vision of fishing changed by God.

God bless,
James
What cheesy crap. You guys are pathetic. :D

Me.......I DO IT FOR THE CHICKS MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:
[img]http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/16813/7d/www.walmart.com/i/catalog/modules/G0040/walmart_logo2.gif[/img]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Nipples, I think you jumped the gun. the originator only posted a link no mention of Jesus in his post. It appears you brought Jesus to this forum, and I wanted to clear up some mistruths(sp) that you portrayed about him and Christianity in general.

Most Christians today are all talk and puppets show, and never practice what they preach. Christian means Christ like
-A Christian is a follower of Jesus, not Christ-like

However, I have met hundreds of Buddhists and Taoist that are more than twice the Christians than 99% of the self claimed Christians in the world.

- Buddihists and Taoist cannot be Christ-like, Jesus Christ claims to be God, they do not make that claim.

Who is it that always casts the first stone? Why Yes.. it is the Christian church (which includes Catholics),

-As for casting stones, people do that in the name of their religion, people are responsible for their actions 1st. including the leaders of religous groups

The Christian cross as we know it today was a pagan icon the catholic church adopted in order to stop it being a pagan icon. Historians have proven the cross Jesus died on didn't look anything like the cross we know today.

-The object of the cross is not the object to be worshipped it is the person who hung on it.

You see, Jesus lived for everyone... He didn't die for anyone nor did he die for everyone... He lived for them.... He set an example to follow... “

- Jesus did live and die for you the truth He said" It is better i go to prepare a place for you", without his death his life was pointless, but more importantly he conquered the sting of death by rising three days later,

He set an example to follow... “ I am the way, the truth, and the lightâ€
Joe Bruce

Post by Joe Bruce »

Thankyou Rusty

its not about being good its about being forgiven.

this is far from a religous forum, everything under the sun is posted here once in a while.

get over it
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

a couple reasons... cuz I'm sadistic and like to torture helpless animals and so I can post pictures that annoy hyper sensitive individuals :lol:

really though... it's fun, it's relaxing, it's a challenge, it's intertaining, it's a hobby, it's an obsession, it's a sport, it's competative, it's a great way to spend time with a friend or family member, I love the outdoors, I love nature, it's a passion, because it's man against beast and it's part of our instictual nature to hunt
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

I believe Guy Lombardo is going to come back from the dead an save us. This works out really well because we only have to worship once a year when we bow and face Times Square at midnight New Years Eve.

We are currently seeking a pastor with greased back hair and a pencil thin mustache who'll not mind sitting in his office all day playing CDs backwards listening for cuss words.

We observe certain old catholic traditions like eating fish on friday.

We're thinking of building a small Tabernacle, but to raise money we thought we'd start a bait and tackle company and a small travel agency to take tours to our holy land, Times Square.

We'll eventually develop this building into the tabernacle and call it
Guy Lombardo's Holy Mackerel Tabernacle, Bait & Tackle & Travel.

PM if you're interested in a job or want to spread the word.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Brian

Post by Brian »

OH BOY :roll: I was going to post a responce to this thread, but I just changed my mind. The religious part anyway.

Instead, I'm going to go get ready to go fishing tomorrow. And why do I fish? Because I can. 8)

P.S. Nipples, GREAT POST. Let me know when your ready.
[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
bahlzar

Post by bahlzar »

to get out of the house and to test all the new crap i buy during the week

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

What I got from the original post was something I could relate to a little bit. I didn't miss the plug for God, and God is different for all of us. I ain't going there though...

What I could relate to was the part of letting go of the predetermined results and just go fishing. In the zone is a phrase I've heard referenced. If you've been there, you know what I'm talking about. It's a great place from my experience, yet one that eludes me more than I get to experience it. If you don't know the place, then I'm just another whack job(which may have some truth to it).

I fish cause because I NEED something to look forward to, besides going to work everyday. The anticipation and preparation for an upcoming trip, is what makes it fun for me. Those few moments idling out before the sun comes up and pushing the throttle down...I know there's better, but not much more than that in my honest opinion.
I had to come back...I know...
bahlzar

Post by bahlzar »

mike well said i agree totally, even just the feeling of the little ripple waves hittin the hull while your on the trollin motor makes me wanna go.....

Post by Marty »

I must stand up and be counted for my Lord – First I’m just human and prone to make mistakes and I have made many in my life time. If fact most of my life I was not a liked man, not say that I’m now. But there is a big difference in me because of the Lord. I stand up and say I’m saved but I’m not perfect.

Most people don’t really understand what a Christian is – most say it is believing in Jesus – well the devil believes there is a Jesus and that don’t make the devil a Christian. There is more to it then just believing. Like it or not all of your sins were paid for with Jesus blood and the only reason you will not go to heaven (nice way of saying going to hell) is because you did not accept Jesus free gift. I really don’t care if you believe that or not, I’m not Jesus and I don’t love everyone!

What was done today with this post was to bring the free gift to you, some of you will mock it and others will think about it and take it. It is your chose to love him or not and that is between the two of you. But I will tell you for sure each and every one of you will bowl to him, like it or not.

Now the reason I like to fish is because I’m too old to jump out of planes, too old to run with a 50 lbs ruck on my back, to old to hold my rifle steady. I fish because it is an old man sport!

Thanks Buzzbait for the help in correcting my spelling!
Last edited by Marty on Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buzzbait

Post by Buzzbait »

Marty wrote:I must stand up and be counted for my Load – First I’m just human and prone to make mistakes and I have made many in my life time. If fact most of my life I was not a liked man, not say that I’m now. But there is a big difference in me because of the Load. I stand up and say I’m saved but I’m not perfect.
You got "Loads" on your mind huh. Makes sense.

Christianity is a load of ****, in my opinion.
[img]http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/16813/7d/www.walmart.com/i/catalog/modules/G0040/walmart_logo2.gif[/img]
Marty

Post by Marty »

See I told you I was human – and the Lord had you of all people correct me - Thanks
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I am not going to get into the religious debate but I once read something sir cooch posted that really struck me. It was many years ago but the main thing I took from it was:
fishing is not something I do, it is part of who I am.

For me, it is the challenge. Being perfect in an imperfect world and imperfect life. That feeling when you know you are on em and could win, the dissapointment when it doesnt happen. The rush of a big fish when it puts you in contention, the dissapointment when it comes off. The long hard days in the wind and snow and rain, the perfect days of shorts and tee shirts. Sunrise, sunset, waiting for weigh in, feeling tired and sore, retieing baits, respooling line, packing for the tournament, driving in anticipation of new waters untested. That feeling of doing well in a tournament or just catching a bunch of frog fish, so many you cant put the rod down even though your wrist hurts with every hook set. That rush of the female biting when bed fishing. It is all a part of why I or we for that matter do it.

I dont care if you fish for Christ, fish for fame, or fish for the rush, fish to be outdoors and enjoy the environment, you fish so it is part of who you and hopefully not something you just do. That is if you are a true fisherman.
Smitty
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I am not going to get into the religious debate but I once read something sir cooch posted that really struck me. It was many years ago but the main thing I took from it was:
fishing is not something I do, it is part of who I am.

For me, it is the challenge. Being perfect in an imperfect world and imperfect life. That feeling when you know you are on em and could win, the dissapointment when it doesnt happen. The rush of a big fish when it puts you in contention, the dissapointment when it comes off. The long hard days in the wind and snow and rain, the perfect days of shorts and tee shirts. Sunrise, sunset, waiting for weigh in, feeling tired and sore, retieing baits, respooling line, packing for the tournament, driving in anticipation of new waters untested. That feeling of doing well in a tournament or just catching a bunch of frog fish, so many you cant put the rod down even though your wrist hurts with every hook set. That rush of the female biting when bed fishing. It is all a part of why I or we for that matter do it.

I dont care if you fish for Christ, fish for fame, or fish for the rush, fish to be outdoors and enjoy the environment, you fish so it is part of who you and hopefully not something you just do. That is if you are a true fisherman.
Smitty
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Well put Smitty, well put.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
jaime7819

Post by jaime7819 »

Man...., when it comes to "those" that know better in regards to religion, they always say the basic same things. I went out and found the truth, when really its what i decided was the truth. Nice? They point out that the so called religious are basically hypocrites, so therefore religion has less validity? They always grew up in church, like that makes them an expert? I feel like im watching late night t.v.? The reason churches point out the truth is because its their job! Especially the Catholic Church. Anyways, i fish because its better than hanging out at a bar, going to a club, visiting any of my buddies, better than hunting, better than working on cars and lastly, i get to enjoy Gods creation in one of its finest ways.