Mercury vs Yamaha ??

Mike

Mercury vs Yamaha ??

Post by Mike »

I dont want a pissin' match between which one is better. I would like some feedback from someone who has owned both? What do you like and dislike about each motor.
OG on WB since 1993
StogieMan

Re: Mercury vs Yamaha ??

Post by StogieMan »

I have not owned both, several Mercury's and now an Etec so I don't meet your criteria but I will say this. You made no mention of the motor being new or used so I will assume this is about new, Yamaha does not meet the carb standard for Ca and therefore you can't have one new.
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

OOOOoooooohhhhhh he said versus.........Might need more specifics.
tiki_man

Post by tiki_man »

i've heard one sips gas while the other one "drinks fuel like a jet" :lol:
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

tiki_man wrote:i've heard one sips gas while the other one "drinks fuel like a jet" :lol:
New Mercury Pro XS is great on fuel and sips oil as well!
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

I have had both and I still like both. Pick the color that goes best with your boat. :lol:
Brian Linehan

Post by Brian Linehan »

My brother is the Western rep for Mercury so I guess you can say that I am biased. However, I have seen some very convincing evidence that I can turn you onto if you would like. PM me your email if you want it.
Ricky-S

Post by Ricky-S »

I have not owned both but have driven the same boat with both motors. My team partner had has a Z20 w/ 225 Yamaha on it and it is 2-3 mph slower, shakes at lower idle speeds and uses more fuel.

The Mercury Pro XS is the proven best motor on the market. It is the fastest, uses less gas and has the strongest mid range.
RichThiel

Post by RichThiel »

Mike,

You can buy a Yamaha HPDI, but out of state and you can bring it in. I've called AZ thru Shaun Bailey.

I've owned both and I would take the Yamaha over the Merc. Etec thats another question...

Rich
Guide on the California Delta and Lake Berryessa for Largemouth, Smallmouth and Spots. Teach all known techniques with up to date artificial baits.

www.calbassguide.com ,

Best 5 over 7lbs for 09
1- 8lb 3oz
2- 10.73
3- 9.06
4-
5-
Mike

Post by Mike »

RichThiel wrote:Mike,

You can buy a Yamaha HPDI, but out of state and you can bring it in. I've called AZ thru Shaun Bailey.

I've owned both and I would take the Yamaha over the Merc. Etec thats another question...

Rich

Well that settles it then! Mercury it is!!!! :lol: :lol:
OG on WB since 1993
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Rich, you might want to check with the DMV. New regulations have been put into place as of July 1st. Unless Shaun works part time at the DMV, it's not going to happen. :wink:
Now for a little chest beating:
When comparing any of our Pro XS models to the competition, we are best in top speed, best on fuel consumption, as well as the being the best selling Direct Injected 2 Stroke engine on the market. Optimax has won the JD POWER award 3 years in a row as well.
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

Could buy a legal Yamaha that is a couple of years old and have Hydrotec work it up. It will beat the Merc no matter how it is worked and it will last longer and get better consumption.
RichThiel

Post by RichThiel »

Mike,

Do whatever you feel confortable with. For me, Im staying away from anything Brunwick builds or own's. :D :D

Rich
Guide on the California Delta and Lake Berryessa for Largemouth, Smallmouth and Spots. Teach all known techniques with up to date artificial baits.

www.calbassguide.com ,

Best 5 over 7lbs for 09
1- 8lb 3oz
2- 10.73
3- 9.06
4-
5-
DL

Post by DL »

Why not buy the Merc and have it ready to go right out of the crate... But if you're looking for a 3 year old motor you need to have worked on before you even hang it on your sled, have at it :)
big_gorilla

Post by big_gorilla »

Sorry Kevin!

I have owned both and I must say the Yamaha is much quieter. As for shaking I don't know what Ricky is talking about. My motor does not shake at all. Top end is awesome as well as mid range. It does not burn gas like most say it does. Any boat will burn gas if you run it hard.

If you go on to Bassfan you will see that Yamaha was awarded the customer satisfaction award by The National Marine Manufacturers Association(NMMA).

I have to admit I never had and major problems with my Merc.

I love my Yamaha
First one in the box settles the nerves!
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Mike,

Major difference between the two. One can be easily and readily be serviced, the other cannot.

We are fortunate enough to have several Top Notch Mercury Techs in the immediate area, and for the most part they are easier to get parts for.

The other (Yamaha), is hard to find someone locally who is.
You have to go to either Redding, Sac, or Modesto to find someone.

Everything else is probably equal when it's all weighed out.

Dan
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yeah, my first choice is a merc. Thats what I have always had, but it is getting harder and harder to find a newer Ranger with one on it. All of the FLW guys are running Evenrude and their are alot with Yami's too.
OG on WB since 1993
Ricky-S

Post by Ricky-S »

I'm not sure about that one Mike.

Angler's Marine is the largest Ranger/Merc dealer in the nation. There are more Mercs out on the Western FLW than any other brand. Might want to take another look.

Plus, the Merc service trailer is at EVERY FLW event.
Last edited by Ricky-S on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Post by Mike »

ok, find me a Z520 with a 250 mercury on it for under 45k :wink:
OG on WB since 1993
Ricky-S

Post by Ricky-S »

Brand new-not going to happen. Used-That's another story.

However, we have special financing at 4.99 percent :lol:

My 2009 Z520 w/ 250 Merc Pro XS is being built as we speak. You can have it for a little less than that in a year.

There are some leftover 2008s out there that may be a good deal. Might want to make some phone calls.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Did you get the white/black/silver again??? :P
OG on WB since 1993
Ricky-S

Post by Ricky-S »

Yep-I ordered the same colors because most guys have a black, white or grey truck.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Ricky-S wrote:Yep-I ordered the same colors because most guys have a black, white or grey truck.
Sure........You know your a Raider fan!
OG on WB since 1993
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

One thing I would like to see discussed is customer service on warranty issues and the like, both positive and negative.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Henry, if you want quiet the Yam or Merc are both loud. I reccomend your trolling motor. :twisted:
You also need to fish to burn gas. DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Last edited by Kevin on Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick_Barr

Post by Nick_Barr »

As for the warranty, I have heard from friends that have Yamaha's they say it is decent. So far from my Mercury, I do have to say I have been dissapointed with Warranty standards, I like my dealer, but Mercury itself is another story.

As for a rank, I have seen that HPDI engines have all the same strength of a Merc except for the hole shot (possibly set-up) and the E-Tec is a great little engine, but it seems TOO QUITE!!! I never hear the growl and roar like my MERC does on blast off.
http://www.NickBarrFishing.com
President, Eastern Washington University Sportsman's Club
BigBoy

Post by BigBoy »

isn't this like comparing a Ford to a Chevy....oh maybe it's more like a Ford F150 to a Toyota Tundra.

Isn't it personal preference?
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

I had a prop shaft shear inside the LU after I bought a 2 year old boat. Had the warranty and Yamaha put a brand new LU on and a brand new T-1 prop for free. Yamaha has a different sound than a Merc. A little more throaty sound. If my state outlawed the brand I would just buy a Merc and be done with it. We are still free men over here in AZ so that is not an issue.
tiki_man

Post by tiki_man »

greg_fina wrote:Isn't it personal preference?
there are still objective differences between them and i think that's what the OP was asking for. what i posted earlier about the differences in fuel economy was from an owner of both. i just wish there was objective third party that could pin a good number on that, not unlike the EPA.
RichThiel

Post by RichThiel »

Mike,

One reason I'd take a Yamaha over a Merc (Even tho I currently own a Merc) is that Yamaha is less expensive to maintain and are by far more dependable I think than the other brand.

Being I've owned both, I've notice that the merc burns more oil than my previous Yama did. Know take a Evinrude or Johnson in the 09 model and I think they would beat them both on expense to maintain.

Like a previous poster said.....Ford vs Chev Vs Toyota all have their differences, so its a matter of confidence and reliability and most important WARRANTY.

Two or three miles an hour faster than the other guy isn't going to catch you more fish. But the pocket book is going to stop you from it.

Just trying to help Mike :D

Rich

www.calbassguide.com ,

Best 5 over 7lbs for 09
1- 8lb 3oz
2- 10.73
3- 9.06
4-
5-
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I think you might be surprised when you look at the factual data.

Here's the data when comparing the 250 Pro XS to the 250 HO Etec on fuel economy as well as cost of ownership.
Looking at fuel economy, the Pro XS is substantially better.
At wide open throttle, the Etec gets 2.7 miles per gallon. The Optimax Pro XS gets 4.0 (33% better).
At cruising speed (4500 RPM), the Etec gets 2.7 miles per gallon while the Pro XS gets 3.7 (27% better).

Now, to give you an illustration on the fuel savings of running a 250 Pro XS over a 250 HO Etec over a 5 year period.

**Calculated Assumptions
Customer runs the engine 100hr annually
Customer owns the engine for 5 years
Gas = $3.75 per gallon for duration of ownership
Operational characteristics remain constant (i.e. % of time spent at idle, cruise.etc.)

1 year gas savings - $1,008
2nd year gas savings - $2,016
3rd year gas savings - $3,024
4th year gas savings - $4,033
5th year gas savings - $5,041

This model was based on $3.75 gas so the actual savings are substantially higher.
Here's the data when comparing the 250 Optimax Pro XS to the 250 HO Etec in regards to top speed.
* 250 Pro XS is 2.1 mph faster at wide open throttle.
Now here is 0-30mph acceleration data.
250 HO Etec - 10.9 seconds
250 Pro XS - 7.1 seconds
Note
Both the Etec and the Pro XS were run on the same hull (Ranger Z520) on the same day under identical conditions.
big_gorilla

Post by big_gorilla »

It does boil down to personal preference.

They say the Etec doesn't need service for three years but you never hear how much it cost for that first service. I can only imagine the price tag on that.

Factual data from Merc? ha ha just messin with you Kevin.

Bobby and I will see you at the Bald Bros. Production August 2nd. I do need to get my boat wet.
First one in the box settles the nerves!
lunker punker

Post by lunker punker »

Mercury mercury mercury mercury mercury mercury mercury mercury mercury mercury mercury mercury mercury mercury. Nuff said. Hands down the best pest performance and service. Its also an american company. Do yourself a favor and stay on the black side!
Big baits,big fish,big smiles!!!!!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Dude, thanks for the baits. That Trout one was sick!
lunker punker

Post by lunker punker »

:wink: 8)
Big baits,big fish,big smiles!!!!!
XMAN

Post by XMAN »

it dont matter, just get the 5 year warranty--xman