Lefty/Righty (controversy of the week)

Brian

Lefty/Righty (controversy of the week)

Post by Brian »

Ok, now lets argue about the proper hand to reel with and why. I think lefty's are at the lower end of the food chain. :wink: What say you?
[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
RipnRog

Re: Lefty/Righty (controversy of the week)

Post by RipnRog »

Brian wrote:Ok, now lets argue about the proper hand to reel with and why. I think lefty's are at the lower end of the food chain. :wink: What say you?

I reel left because I am right handed.... it just feels right..... to each there own.......only morons reel with there right
Smile_n_Jax

Post by Smile_n_Jax »

I feel the same. It's just more natural for me to have control with my power hand. Plus, I don't have to change hands after casting.
Jax Keilman
"I may be crazy, but it's kept me from going insane" - Waylon Jennings
'89 Stratos 269V, 90HP Yamaha. Small, but I love it.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Well for once, reels were built to be used by lefties first and the rest of you guys later. Left cast, right reel :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Marty

Post by Marty »

When playing baseball you never see a right-handers catch the ball with their right hand then put down the glove down and throw with the same hand….....……another example..........In Boxing a right-hander leads with a left hand jab or they are called southpaw............so only non-bassball playing southpaws reel with their left hand.............

Marty
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

This is a tempest in a teapot.
I use both, and, after a little while, I forget which I'm using.
Jonathan Ashcraft got me started with lefties for flipping and pitching, and I've never looked back.
I still cast everything right handed, but I don't really notice if it's a right or left handed reel anymore. It's automatic.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
g-man

Post by g-man »

I cast, and switch! :shock: :oops: :oops: thats the way I learned, and can't change it. I've got so good at it that I make the switch before the bait hits the water. Left cast, left reel!!
100% LL
Dan Stahlman

Post by Dan Stahlman »

I didn't have a choice. I severely injured my left hand about 15 years ago so I switched to left hand reels. The crossover was amazingly easy And I have never looked back. I really like it when I am throwing a buzz bait. The only right hand reels I have now are my flippin and pitchin reels as I can set a fish with a straight up set. Dan
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I use both styles, I flip and pitch and use manual retrieves with a left hand retrieve reels so that I can control the bait better. Mechanical retreat reels I use a right handed reel.

Boxers are the way to go, just let em hang low and breath :lol:
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

I do both. I have both left and right hand reels. I always cast right handed, and it feels better to me to reel right handed. My left hand is like half retarded when it comes to reeling. It took me a while to be able to walk a spook reeling lefty. It just felt wrong.
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

I wish I could learn to cast left handed..I have tried numerous times, sometimes for hours on end..I have absolutely no problem getting professional over runs casting right handed, but casting left handed that is all I get, no matter how much I adjust the reel..It is almost like my left hand actually belongs to someone else and they have no clue as to what I am trying to do..Just call me spaz lefty..

mac
Last edited by mac (Doyle McEwen) on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

mac (Doyle McEwen) wrote:I wish I could learn to cast left handed..I have tried numerous times, sometimes for hours on end..I have absolutely no problem getting professional over runs casting right handed, but casting left handed that is all I get, no matter how much I adjust the reel..It is almosat like my left hand actually belongs to someone else and they have no clue as to what I am trying to do..Just call me spaz lefty..

mac
I can barely reel left handed, casting lefty will never ever happen for me. I can't change what I've been doing for 20 years!
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Flippin', pitchin' and topwater on the left, everything else on the right. I had a hard time learning to walk the dog right-handed, but found it really easy from the left side. Then started evaluating the differences in styles and found that it made sense to go left for the pitch/flip techniques also, as I no longer have to swap hands and am less prone to missing those immediate strikes.

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
benthebassman15

Post by benthebassman15 »

i consider myslef a switcher i can do either one left or right jus had to learn like that
fishbonz412

Post by fishbonz412 »

I grew up fishing with spinning gear. back then, they were all left hand retrieves. no biggie since I'm right handed.

when I started using baitcasters, I had no problem reeling with the other hand, but I felt weaker with the hook set with the rod in my left hand. I also did not like switching the rod to the left hand after a cast.

now for those who like to cradle the reel, the right hand reel is fine since it is one switch. for a left hand retrieve, then you have to switch twice---once to the left hand to regrip with your right!

pick your poisons....!
--Sometimes it is best to be quiet and be thought the fool than to speak out and remove all doubt---
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

I use both. and I am right handed

Leftys for rips baits, spooks, flip'n and pitch'n
Rightys for everything else
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

I cast and pass it to the other hand to reel just like G-man.
You mean I can do better? :lol: :lol:

Don.
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
davetNitro

Post by davetNitro »

who cares?

:?:
DaveT

'06 Nitro 911 250 Verado
HDS 10, 8 LSS-1 LWX-1
SonicHub MercMonitor
Brian

Post by Brian »

davetNitro wrote:who cares?

:?:
I guess you do, You read the thread.

-John Wayne[/color]
StockOption

Post by StockOption »

Brian wrote:Ok, now lets argue about the proper hand to reel with and why. I think lefty's are at the lower end of the food chain. :wink: What say you?
What you think is, as usual, wrong and mis-guided. Big surprise there :twisted:

It's simple if you don't reel lefty you are a loser :lol: :lol: 8)
Kurt
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

Wicked good controversy,

Whatever hand you cast with, reel with the opposite, its the Law of Conservation of Energy!!

Interestingly enough, only about 2-3% of us bass anglers use the left hand retireve reels and something like 95% of those folks are in CA, OR and WA..... (pers. comm. - a shimano rep)

Just got to thinking about it...We are the "LEFT COAST" aren't we?

Yeah , just think about that for a while :o

Just to pose a question to the right hand casters who switch hands to reel, "How does that benefit you?" For me casting right, retrieving left has many benefits, Law of Cons. as mentioned above, quicker reflexes with my right for hooksets and most importantly, practicing repetetive motions with my left hand... :lol: :oops: did I sat that out loud?!

To quote KB (who is totally wrong on this) "There's a RIGHT side and a WORNG side!" Wocka, wocka!

BassManDan
cleb19

Post by cleb19 »

LEFT CAST RIGHTY REEL, just how it feels comfortable to me everybody's different just takes a half second to switch hands to retrieve your bait not that big of deal :D

cleb
Jason Milligan

Post by Jason Milligan »

I'm right handed and all of my reels are left hand retrieve. So how many of you switch handed dudes reel with your right on spinning reels? I prefer my dominant hand to cast, work lures and set the hook. Just the way I've learned and am programmed. I catch hell for this from my right handed, right reeling friends. :roll: Really doesn't matter though does it? I mean we all weigh our fish on the same scales.
Chaozu

Post by Chaozu »

Cast with the rod in my right hand and leave it there. Reel with my left hand. I would feel weird trying to set a hook on a fish with my left arm, the right arm has more power and coordination.
Ryan Margone
RipnRog

Post by RipnRog »

StockOption wrote:

well said stocky....... :wink:
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Jason Milligan wrote:I'm right handed and all of my reels are left hand retrieve. So how many of you switch handed dudes reel with your right on spinning reels? I prefer my dominant hand to cast, work lures and set the hook. Just the way I've learned and am programmed. I catch hell for this from my right handed, right reeling friends. :roll: Really doesn't matter though does it? I mean we all weigh our fish on the same scales.
What Jason said.....but I usually rig up one lefty and one righty when I'm throwing swimbaits all day so that I can switch hands when one gets tired.

James
bantam1

Post by bantam1 »

Baitcast reels and conventional reels with my right hand and spinning with my left.

It seems that the left hand reels popularity starts in central CA and grows the further north you go. I'm not sure why, maybe it has something to do with all the liberals up there :shock:
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

BassManDan wrote: Just got to thinking about it...We are the "LEFT COAST" aren't we? Yeah , just think about that for a while :o
BassManDan
Hmmm, I might like ta debate this, cause if I was standing up in Canada looking south at the US, California would be on the Right coast! And if'n I was in Mexico looking south, we'd STILL be the RIGHT coast! HAR! HAR! HAR!

Much like this thread, it's all a matter of personal viewpoints! Righties Rule!!!!!!! Yeah, what KB said! HAR! HAR! HAR!
Phil Burgess

Post by Phil Burgess »

RIGHTYS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

THATS WHY LEFTYS CAN NEVER FIND REELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
ILL RIDE TO HELL AND BACK WITH YOU BOYS!!!!!!!!!!
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

RipnRog wrote:
StockOption wrote:
What Rodg left out folks, he's the one exception to the rule! HAR! HAR! HAR! You buy that new bottle of KVD Line conditioner fer those brand spankin new Revos yet? :roll:
Micropterus salmoides

Post by Micropterus salmoides »

When I got my first baitcaster it was a left hand retrieve. Then I bought all right hand retrieves because the lefties weren't available. I think I may go back to lefties for jigs and worms.

I remember reading that the reason why "right handed" reels have the handle on the right side is because the guy who invented the baitcaster was left handed and used his dominant hand for casting and his weaker hand for reeling. The industry adopted reels with the handle on the right side as the standard for right handed people. Think, if the guy who invented them was right handed then right handed reels would have the handle on the left side. Hmmmmm. 8)
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

MARK INMAN wrote:Not in bowling lefty's rule :twisted:
Hmm Bohn, Roth & Patraglia VS Webber, Duke and Williamson, my bet would be on the Hall Of Fame righties! HAR! HAR! HAR!
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

I am left handed and abidevtous with a dominant right eye .....

So here is how it shakes out for me. ~

Pitching/Fliping - Left pitch with a right handed reel ....

Things I do with my Left hand ~ Shoot Pool, Hammer, Shoot a Pistol, ,Light a Lighter and Match, Wanker, Reel a Spin Casting rod/reel

-- Right handed throw, Golf, Shoot Rifles and Archery... ANYTHING else other than Pitch/Flip is done fishing is ]overhand and done right arm and transfers to left w/a right hand reel ~~ UNLESS IT IS SPINNING or FLY ROD !! :?: :?: :?: :?: ....... Catch/Throw, Shoot a Rifle, Bat, Golf and Putt, ... Other silly stuff like that. :?

-- I can pitch 25+ yards with great accuracy to the foot on distance with Left hand. :lol:

About the ony thing I can do with both hands is drive as both hands are required on the steering wheel at all times. :wink:
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

Just like when I played Fastpitch softball I can fish either way. Makes the day A lot better when I'm thowing crankbait or rip baits aLL day
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

MARK INMAN WROTE:
Not in bowling lefty's rule
That's cause there's nobody else missing with their line.
I had to come back...I know...
Kevin Stewart

Post by Kevin Stewart »

God, get a LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Brian

Post by Brian »

GumbyFish wrote:

God, get a LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Couldnt sleep last night?

-John Wayne[/color]
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

For those of you that cast righty and reel lefty, when you flip does the line ever get wrapped on the handle? Or is it just me. Sometimes I pull some line off to flip and it loops around the darn handle.
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

All these "switch hand" casters r just jealous :lol: they learned the wrong way and can't figure out how ta do it better 8) due to years of backwards muscle memory training :lol: :lol:

A more interesting question is do all these backwards casters wear boxers or briefs and how many of them do it while drinking MV :lol:

I started off w a spinning reel, and being a righty I had a left hand crank...... when I finally got my first bait caster a few years into it, I never understood why the common mentality was that I should now learn to do it the opposite way....... back then there were very few quality left hand bait casters....... these days there r plenty of choices for the more sophisticated and unquestionably superior :lol: power hand fisherman 8)
bahlzar

Post by bahlzar »

BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER wrote:All these "switch hand" casters r just jealous :lol: they learned the wrong way and can't figure out how ta do it better 8) due to years of backwards muscle memory training :lol: :lol:

A more interesting question is do all these backwards casters wear boxers or briefs and how many of them do it while drinking MV :lol:

I started off w a spinning reel, and being a righty I had a left hand crank...... when I finally got my first bait caster a few years into it, I never understood why the common mentality was that I should now learn to do it the opposite way....... back then there were very few quality left hand bait casters....... these days there r plenty of choices for the more sophisticated and unquestionably superior :lol: power hand fisherman 8)
best reply so far !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! any right hander with a 1/2 a brain would know to reel lefty ...
Chaozu

Post by Chaozu »

BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER wrote:All these "switch hand" casters r just jealous :lol: they learned the wrong way and can't figure out how ta do it better 8) due to years of backwards muscle memory training :lol: :lol:

Same here. Learning to use a baitcaster for the first time and not backlashing is hard enough, then throw in a curve ball with the opposite hand you're used to reeling with? No thanks
BassAddiction

Post by BassAddiction »

At the beginning of this year I sold off all of my right handed reels and replaced them all with lefties. It sure makes a day on the water easier.

And yes, sometimes I do get the line twisted around the handle when flippin' but I'll deal with it. Twist your wrist a little so the handle points towards the deck. Problem solved.
RipnRog

Post by RipnRog »

Cooch wrote:
RipnRog wrote:
StockOption wrote: What you think is, as usual, wrong and mis-guided. Big surprise there :twisted:
What Rodg left out folks, he's the one exception to the rule! HAR! HAR! HAR! You buy that new bottle of KVD Line conditioner fer those brand spankin new Revos yet? :roll:

:cry: ...... I did get the KVD stuff..... works great...... I think BG was looking for a bottle in left handed...... HAHAHAHAHA