Pontoon/Kick Boat

GregD

Pontoon/Kick Boat

Post by GregD »

I've given up on my plan to get a used bass boat, at least not in the near future. With the cost of gas and some home improvement projects ($$$$$) that can't be put off, there's no way I can justify the expense of buying one right now.

So instead, I'm looking into the idea of getting a good pontoon boat and tricking it out. I saw some great pictures on the Bass-n-Tubes photo gallery of how some guys have fixed up their rigs which gave me some good ideas of how to do the same thing.

Based on what I've read, it looks like the Creek Co and Versa Vessels would be great stock boats to start with. Does anyone out there have experience with both and maybe have a preference? I AM interested in getting one of the better models from whatever make I decide to go with. As an example, maybe the Creek Co ODC 915 or the Versa Vessel LRS or Lake Skiff.

Thanks,

Greg
Chaozu

Re: Pontoon/Kick Boat

Post by Chaozu »

I just picked up the FishCat XL-IR and I really like it. Dont have any experience with the other models you mentioned. I would suggest going with at least a nine footer. Let me know when you do get one, maybe we can go out sometime. I live in san jose and work in mountain view.
Ryan Margone
ABA FOLSOM

Post by ABA FOLSOM »

GregD wrote:I've given up on my plan to get a used bass boat, at least not in the near future. With the cost of gas and some home improvement projects ($$$$$) that can't be put off, there's no way I can justify the expense of buying one right now.

So instead, I'm looking into the idea of getting a good pontoon boat and tricking it out. I saw some great pictures on the Bass-n-Tubes photo gallery of how some guys have fixed up their rigs which gave me some good ideas of how to do the same thing.

Based on what I've read, it looks like the Creek Co and Versa Vessels would be great stock boats to start with. Does anyone out there have experience with both and maybe have a preference? I AM interested in getting one of the better models from whatever make I decide to go with. As an example, maybe the Creek Co ODC 915 or the Versa Vessel LRS or Lake Skiff.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg I have a barely used creek company ODC 816 for sale it has a custom rod rack and a graph on it...... I am selling it for a whopping 350 and that is with the graph and battery.....

it is i the classifieds if you want to look at it....
FIVEtenthz

Post by FIVEtenthz »

I've got an ODC S.S 9 on the way but if your budget is between $800-$900, then I would chose between the ODC 915, Bucks Bags River Ghost and Outcast Fish Cat Cougar. Don't know bout the other brands, but ODC has a limetime warranty which is a plus.

River Ghost:
http://www.oregonfishing.com/detail.aspx?ID=557

Cougar:
http://www.outcastboats.com/outcastboat ... oons.shtml
Backseater. It Feels Better From The Back!
www.deltabassclub.com
Micropterus salmoides

Post by Micropterus salmoides »

May be more than you are willing to spend but check out this company:

http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/
badbass25

Post by badbass25 »

ABA FOLSOM wrote:
GregD wrote:I've given up on my plan to get a used bass boat, at least not in the near future. With the cost of gas and some home improvement projects ($$$$$) that can't be put off, there's no way I can justify the expense of buying one right now.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg I have a barely used creek company ODC 816 for sale it has a custom rod rack and a graph on it...... I am selling it for a whopping 350 and that is with the graph and battery.....

it is i the classifieds if you want to look at it....
If Greg doesn't pick it up.... I will be interested. Do you still have the TM?
optichamp

Post by optichamp »

Micropterus salmoides wrote:May be more than you are willing to spend but check out this company:

http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/
I'll second that, their Skykomish Sunrise model seems to be the best thought out model I've seen. With a standing platform, strong frame, and lots of capacity, I think I'll buy one myself.
"The wine was bad, but not dull. It took the enamel off your teeth and left it on the roof of your mouth."

-Ernest Hemmingway, A Farewell to Arms
Phil

Post by Phil »

GO TO COSTCO.COM THEY HAVE SOME GREAT DEALS ON PONTOON BOATS

INFACT I HAVE A BRAND NEW NEVER BEEN IN THE WATER OUTFITTER XT FOR $ 325.00 INCLUDES TAX !! COME AND GET IT LAKE DON PEDRO

JIGS
GregD

Post by GregD »

Wow!! Thanks everyone. Lots of great info.

I appreciate the offers to buy used boats at great prices, but I was kind of set on buying a stock boat. I like customizing things myself and this looks like a fun project.

What I like about the 10' Versa-Vessel Lake/River model is that it can be fitted with a second seat. It could also be fun to take my 11 yr old daugther or my wife out on it occasionally (easier sell also if they get some use out of it, even if limited...)

http://www.mertechengineering.com/std.htm

It's only 57 lbs stock (with padded seat) before modifications which doesn't seem too heavy compared to other brands.

Still... it's pretty big and I'm sure I'll end up having to do a size vs stability tradeoff before I decide on which one to get.

I'll check out the FishCat's. I hadn't heard of those yet.

Greg
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Post by blkdog812 »

take a look at the water skeeters. they make different boats for different types of fishing. tough boats. used them in class 3 water, lakes and in the ocean too. they are easy to take down and reassemble. thier material is tougher than the nylon fabric of the odc boats and better quality
Micropterus salmoides

Take into consideration that kickboats with larger diameter pontoons get blown around much easier on windy days, particularly when hit with a crosswind. My first kickboat was the ODC 916, which actually had 18 inch diameter tubes, not 16 inch. It was like a monster truck on the water. The kickboat I have now has 12-13" diameter pontoons which makes it much more streamlined and aerodynamic.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

GregD wrote:What I like about the 10' Versa-Vessel Lake/River model is that it can be fitted with a second seat. It could also be fun to take my 11 yr old daugther or my wife out on it

You already answered your very own question !! Image

If you would ever wish to go out on a boat for 4 hours before/after tubing/rafting ... Hit me or anyone on WB up at any time.

I wish I had a normal work schedule and all weekends off ..... But if you can plan a weekday outing before shool restarts -- send me a PM.

Cheers,
Dan
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

As I am sure the Bass'N'Tubes guys have told you the Versa Vessel boats are the real deal. I personally own an ODC 816 and it is a great boat, but the VV are in a class of their own. If you have the money to buy a Versa Vessel than do it. If not the Creek Company has some of the best customer service around and they make a great boat for the price.
GregD

Post by GregD »

Micropterus salmoides Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:36 pm Post subject: Re: Pontoon/Kick Boat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take into consideration that kickboats with larger diameter pontoons get blown around much easier on windy days, particularly when hit with a crosswind. My first kickboat was the ODC 916, which actually had 18 inch diameter tubes, not 16 inch. It was like a monster truck on the water. The kickboat I have now has 12-13" diameter pontoons which makes it much more streamlined and aerodynamic.
Good point and I wasn't even considering the potential high profile of the toon and the effect the wind would have on it. The 10' VV that I like would obviously be more affected than some of the smaller boats. There's tradeoffs to everything I guess.

I AM intersted in taking it to sheltered areas of the Delta and places like Clear Lake where wind is a factor so I'll keep this in mind also.

Greg
buzzfish

Post by buzzfish »

I have used a Versa Vessel for years and aside from a slow leak in one pontoon (so slow I haven't bothered to find and patch it) it has been a solid, reliable kick boat. Before the V V I had a Leigh Outdoors kick boat which worked ok but it was very heavy and rode lower in the water which made it harder to row. The frame was also smaller so my livewell set up wasn't as robust as the one I have now. What I like about the Versa Vessel:

- Very light weight, both the pontoons and the aluminum frame

- Large weight capacity, carries me and a large live well no problem (I'm not a small guy)

- Durable pontoons. Mine have been dragged over the rock barrier at Middle River countless times, down rock levees, etc.

- The frame breaks and folds down to the point that I can fit it and the deflated pontoons in the trunk of my Honda.

- Easy to customize. Plus a large back platform that holds a 48 qt cooler/livewell.

- Rides high out of the water. This makes it easier to row and IMO to fish from.

Things I don't like about the Versa Vessel:

- Expensive. Worth it in my opinion but they are pricey.

- Single chamber pontoons. If I get "holed" I am not going to be a happy camper. It has never happened but if it does I won't be liking life.

- Rides high in the water. It's practically a kite in the wind!

Hope this helps....
CZ

Post by CZ »

buzzfish nailed it, VV is the way to go
Lake

Post by Lake »

IMO there are really only 3 boats to choose from. Creek Company, VV and Bucks Bags. I have VV myself, but would seriously consider the CC if I were in the need for a new boat. I have had my VV for 10 year's now and I use it a lot. Its beat to hell but still floats and is running strong. I did a video for Westernbass.tv a long time ago that will give you a basic run down of my boat.

Link
http://www.westernbass.tv/videopage.php?0000073

You can also see a comparison chart Mitch Teman BNT's VP did at this link.

http://www.calfishing.com/dc/user_files ... risons.htm

Some food for thought: I wouldn't sacrifice the diameter of the pontoon vs. side winds. You will lose to much of the weigh capacity the mfgr calls out. However anything over 8ft. in length gets way to hard to turn in tight areas and is to much boat IMO. I understand wanting to have a boat big enough to bring you 11 year old or wife, but you really need to think how often will you do that.

Here are a few pro's and con's for what I think are the best boats out there.

VV: Pro's: Probably the easiest to modify and very durable. The frame is outstanding and very light with a lot of free space to work with. It The Pontoons are single chamber, but don't leave easily. the only time I have damaged mine have been on Metal. I ran over a rusted out washing machine and ripped a 6" gash in the bottom. The other time was while building a livewell I punched a box cutter through it. I have dragged it through everything else you can think of with no damage.

Con's: getting in touch with them and customer service is poor . Single chamber pontoons are not the greatest idea.

CC: Pro's Decent boat to modify, but not as easy as the VV. Pontoon design is decent but not as fast as the VV. pricing is better then VV. Customer service is top notch and this company really supports California Bass Kickboaters. They are also a sponsor for Bass N Tubes. if you call them be sure you tell them you heard about them through Bass n Tubes.

Con's A little over weight and the pontoon design creates a little more drag.

BB: Pro's Dual Chamber pontoons are great, but not as fast as the VV. The frame is a little easier to work with then the CC, but not as easy as the VV. BB is also a sponsor of SCBBBC the Santa Rosa based tubers. If you contact them make sure you mention you heard about them from the Sonoma County Belly Boat Bass Club.

Con's A little overweight and the pontoon design creates a little more drag. Over priced.

In a perfect world we would CC or BB's customer service with VV's pontoon design
GregD

Post by GregD »

More great input. Thanks buzzfish and Lake! All good stuff to consider.

I checked out the Buck's Bags. Big "Bucks"!! They are more expensive than the VV's, which I thought were pretty high end.

I'll probably stick to comparing VV's and Creek Co's, which are in a similar price bracket.

I guess another idea would be to go to one of the Bass-n-tubes tournaments and just check out all the different rigs and how people modified them. Seeing them first hand will be a lot better than looking at pictures.

Thanks again, Greg
Micropterus salmoides

With any kickboat you choose there will be compromises. Just try to find the one the fits most of your criteria.

One other suggestion, don't skimp on the fins. A good pair will make your kickboat so much easier to control, especially if it's windy. I definitely recommend the Force Fins. Get the Original Force Fin in size XXXL. It has a much larger opening to accommodate shoes and won't smash the top of your feet. The fin is also much larger so it moves a lot of water. I currently have the XXXL. I had a pair of XXL, but when I switched shoes they wouldn't fit. I'm glad I had to switch because they are so much better. So many people think I'm using a trolling motor when they see me moving around with my fins. Then I lift my feet out of the water, and they are like, wow! :lol:

As far as the VV kickboats, they offer a more durable material than the standard PVC. It's the 40oz Urethane. I'm not sure if it's available for all their models.
FIVEtenthz

Post by FIVEtenthz »

Lake wrote: I did a video for Westernbass.tv a long time ago that will give you a basic run down of my boat.

Link
http://www.westernbass.tv/videopage.php?0000073
Hey Lake, what part of the delta were you in when you made that video and where did you launch from?
Backseater. It Feels Better From The Back!
www.deltabassclub.com
CATCHEMCARO

Post by CATCHEMCARO »

Greg
I have seen most of the different kick boat brands on the water and the VV are sweet, but the Bucksbag Southfork kicks bass. You can check them out up at Clear Lake Outdoors and Clear Lake bait & Tackle. If your in the northbay area just PM me and I'll take you out for a few hour's and let you test float a Bucksbag Southfork. This boat is completely rigged for tournament fishing. Regaurdless of what brand you get, once you push off the bank in a fully rigged Kick boat you'll wonder why more people don't do it. Good luck shopping.

Rich
WWW.SCBBBC.COM
http://catchemcarobaits.com/index.html
GregD

Post by GregD »

I just negotiated the green light with the "boss" to get this winter project started! It's now time to make a decision of which stock boat to buy.

I'm still leaning toward the VV, but Lake's comment about their lack of customer service is right on. I tried the low key approach of sending them a few e-mails over the past few months, requesting additional info, and they never responded. I called yesterday and no one answered, so I'll try again today. I'm trying to find out from them if they have a distributor/reseller in the Bay Area or would I have to buy direct from them? Does anyone out there who's bought a VV know if one can be bought local, so I can kick the tires(pontoons)?

Thanks, Greg
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

I've got the green fishcat9 in the bassn'tubes photos section, if you want to try it out sometime let me know, I can toss it in the back of the truck and meet you in rivers end or tracy oasis or something.

one thing to keep in mind if you are using the tube as practice for tournament backseating like I intended to do -- the casting angles are all different, especially when the boat is being turned by the tide, lots of twisting around to get the cast off in the intended direction.

edit :
http://www.bass-n-tubes.com/gallery/Fishcat9_rigging

I've done alot more to it since those photos - added sonar, and a 6 pole side rod holder
"I'll just drop it on their head, and then rip their lips off with a TV hookset..." <i>unnamed angler when discussing how he fishes a jig</i>
FR0G

Post by FR0G »

I have owned my ODC SS 9 for a little over a year now and I LOVE it! I started with a Caddis float tube, which didn't last long before I was craving a pontoon. Pontoons are a great way to get off of the shore. Much cheaper than a boat also. My only complaint about my SS 9 is that the covers are made out of a fabric and I have torn the bottoms twice, and I have to stitch them back together. I have customized mine with a fish finder, diamond plate rear deck, motor mount, PVC pole holders, seat riser, and cushioned seat. I put the seat riser and motor mount on when I want to use my TM, but I actually like it better just using the oars. You can go just as fast and you get a great work out. Have you looked into building up a jonboat? That is what I want to do next, but my real boat needs a TM. If you got any more questions, feel free to ask.
CZ

Post by CZ »

Greg,

That is the one issue with VV they don't have local distributors you have to buy it directly through them. It is a very small family run operation and so there will be times that contacting them will be difficult, I imagine around the holidays it will be hard to catch them in the shop.

The boats are great though and the pontoons ride excellent.
GregD

Post by GregD »

Thanks MikeD, Frog and CZ,

Great input. Sounds like there is no shortage of quality kickboats out there with satisfied customers. I've heard from people who are happy with FishCats, VersaVessels, CreekCo's and Bucks Bags ($$). I'll probably just look carefully at them and decide for myself which seems to fit best with what I want to do with it.

CZ provided a good reason as why I've had a bit of trouble getting in touch with Versa Vessel and the fact that they don't have local distributors for me to go view a boat before I buy it.

Thanks again, Greg
CHUG BUG

Post by CHUG BUG »

i've had several float tubes in my lifetime but never a pontoon boat. the tubes i was most happy with were the buck's bags. do keep in mind that adding a trolling motor requires you to register and post a CF # on the craft. i didn't realize this until i came across 2 guys that had just gotten a ticket. i looked it up in the ca. boating laws, and sure enough, it must be registered. just a heads up as i know there are several people out there with no #'s.
Phil

Post by Phil »

have a brand new pontoon boat for sale. email me for info if interested.........all put together never used..

also a small minnkota motor never used 12v
Micropterus salmoides

Greg,

Check out North Fork Outdoors. http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/homepagedirectory.html They make some of the sickest kickboats on the market.

Right now they have a Christmas sale going on with some good prices:

http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/christmassale.html
GregD

Post by GregD »

Hi Micropterus salmoides,

Yes, I have been checking out the NFO website and saw the pricing. The pricing does look pretty good, however, I did notice it's the same as listed by Cabelas and other retailers.

The Madison River ST is right at the very high end of my budget for the basic boat and it looks pretty damn nice. I'm very tempted but if I buy that one I won't have much left over for other stuff like electronics. At least not in the near future.

I'm kind of torn now between that one and the VV LRS 8' unit which is a bit less expensive. Has anyone tried to negotiate a better price from VV? I know I have to buy direct from them.

Thanks, Greg