Condition of Spillway Ramp at Oroville

carmichaelbob

Condition of Spillway Ramp at Oroville

Post by carmichaelbob »

What is the condition of the Spillway Ramp at Oroville Lake? Can anyone share first hand knowledge of the situation? I don't like to launch in the mud as my boat is fairly heavy and I don't have a 4WD. I've been looking at the Reports pages but there's not much information there. Any help will be appreciated. :)
Norv

Re: Condition of Spillway Ramp at Oroville

Post by Norv »

Bob,

Shirley says that rather than go fishing you need to stay home and do things on your "to do" list!!! :(

We've seen what happens to your truck on unimproved ramps!!! :lol:
Norval Chan

ESOX Rods
Put a Sock on It
Xtreme Reel+
Peregrine 250
Water Dog
Eagle Eye
California Community Credit Union
Skeeterman

Post by Skeeterman »

Bob,

My son and I was there sunday its highly recommended to have 4 wheel drive its real muddy.
Fast 492

Post by Fast 492 »

Bob, the ramps at Bidwell and the Spillway require 4X4 at this time, niether are muddy. Bidwell has a dock but is very steep when backing and once you get to the water it is a long tappering point to back out on. The spillway is not as steep but the road is bumpy and dusty, I recommend wiping your boat down before you drive up to the asphalt parking lot uptop, so as to not have mud by the time you get home....Goodluck, Jason
The only sport besides golf that you can only blame yourself !!!

Jason Bubier-Director
NorCal90 Fishing
WildWestBassTrail, CA
530-230-8868
530-589-2601
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

I launched in my ford ranger POS with a 18.3 procraft. Never needed to put it in 4x4. Hard packed gravel. Its steep but others with 2wheel drive were doing fine. No dock though, and the mud on the sides if you beach your boat is knee deep. I beached next to the rocks and tried to walk on them. I sent the rock and my shoe to center of the earth.
Fast 492

Post by Fast 492 »

I talked to the Supervising Ranger Casey carlson yesterday and he said that they will no longer allow vehicles to launch that are 2-wheel drive, if they are there, they will stop you. Good luck, Jason

Jason Bubier-Director
NorCal90 Fishing
WildWestBassTrail, CA
530-230-8868
530-589-2601
lowerider

Post by lowerider »

Anyone know if the spillway launch is free right now? Sounds like it should be for the poor conditions but I was just wondering if anyone knows for sure? Thanks
carmichaelbob

Post by carmichaelbob »

:D thanks everyone. Great information, especially the report from the Ranger about requiring 4X4.
Bob
Ranger Reata 1850
"Tight Lines"
Fast 492

Post by Fast 492 »

Yes the Spillway is free, they (Rangers) told me that since there were basically no services, how could we charge for parking or launching, so they are allowing all to use free until further notice. It should be posted on the bulletin board at the guard shack. You still have to pay at Bidwell.....

Jason Bubier-Director
NorCal90 Fishing
WildWestBassTrail, CA
530-230-8868
530-589-2601
lowerider

Post by lowerider »

I launched my 14 foot flatbottom last night without 4 wheel drive. The ramp is fairly steep and I slipped the tires a little but not much problem. May be a little tougher with a bigger boat? The sign at top of ramp say 4 wheel drive recommended. Didn't happen to see any rangers. Launch was free wahooo!