Why is Obama the 1st African-american president?

For political discussions
Fishin' Dave

Why is Obama the 1st African-american president?

Post by Fishin' Dave »

If his mom was white as the driven snow, then how does that make him african american? Wouldn't he be the first mulato president?

I thought we could all move forward but it looks like reverse racism is in full effect. I have no problem with obama not looking like me; I do fear those associated with obama taking things to an extreme. I remember in the Clinton years being denied educational scolarships because I wasn't a "minority", I don't want to live in a socially engineered world. After seeing the crowds last night, I am worried.

For everyone's sake, I hope this man can do positive things. I hope Jessie Jackson is not the person who helps dictate policy. I hope Obama is a person of change and doesn't bring in failed Clinton cabinet members like Madline "half-bright", and Sandy Burgler.

Please, Please Obama, do good for our country and not just one group of people.
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.
Greg_Cornish

Re: Why is Obama the 1st African-american president?

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Fishin' Dave wrote:If his mom was white as the driven snow, then how does that make him african american? Wouldn't he be the first mulato president?
The term Mulatto went out of style in the '50s and '60s because even Mulattos were not accepted into white society. They were however accepted into black society. This made many whites happy because they didn't want to accept anyone with a tinge of black blood, but I'm sure you knew that.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

hmmm, I thought that we ALL had a tint of that blood? No?
Glenn Abuelhaj
g-man

Post by g-man »

If Jesse Jackson helps Obama dictate policy we are in big trouble. I'm ok with Bama winning even though I wanted McCain to win, but I had some of the same thoughts last night as you Dave. And listening to Bamas speach last night was like listening to a preacher! :shock:
100% LL
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

g-man wrote:If Jesse Jackson helps Obama dictate policy we are in big trouble.....:shock:
Do you think Barrack wants Jesse Jackson's advice? I think the man has some ideas of his own.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
g-man

Post by g-man »

Greg_Cornish wrote:
g-man wrote:If Jesse Jackson helps Obama dictate policy we are in big trouble.....:shock:
Do you think Barrack wants Jesse Jackson's advice? I think the man has some ideas of his own.
I highly doubt any of his ideas are his own! :lol: As I said lets see what hes got. He can talk the talk now walk the walk!
100% LL
TWinger

Post by TWinger »

My question is one that was not my own, but one I heard brought up and have yet to hear a good answer too. It is,

The poor, the weak, the less fortunate, those who are commonly on public assistance and down and out, that have always supported the democrats and there endevors with there votes for over the last 50 years or more,

have not had a change in their living status as a result of there support. They are still poor, weak, less fortunate and commonly on welfare and down and out.

Why is this?
Troy Winger
Dan McKenzie

Post by Dan McKenzie »

I looked at the crowds and thought what a nice contrast in when compared to McCains, I thought the same thing during the conventions. I guess every set of eyes sees things in a different way.
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

TWinger wrote:My question is one that was not my own, but one I heard brought up and have yet to hear a good answer too. It is,

The poor, the weak, the less fortunate, those who are commonly on public assistance and down and out, that have always supported the democrats and there endevors with there votes for over the last 50 years or more,

have not had a change in their living status as a result of there support. They are still poor, weak, less fortunate and commonly on welfare and down and out.

Why is this?
Thats total BS. My sisters husband deserted her and 4 children. she had no way to feed them. She went on Welfare and received job training, but left it at the chance of getting a job as a waitress. Her welfare quit because of this and she got a second job. She was promoted to manager of the restaurant then hired away by Dole Co in Mpls.

She met a better man who she married and they moved in to a nice house.

There are many many success stories out there, but how would you ever hear about them?

She will soon see 2 of her children die before she does because of hereditary illnesses. One got ulcerative colitis and by the time it was diagnosed they found he had Lou Gehrigs disease. He's 28 with 3 kids.

The other has lupus and can't stand for more than 2 hours and has a child who had cystic fibrosis. She's 30. The one with Lupus is on public assistance.

I don't feel guilty that she's on public assistance. You want to trade places? I've got 64 nieces, nephews, great nieces and great nephews with 1 or two on public assistance.

What you guys do is the same the republicans do. You don't distinguish to good from the bad - you paint everything with a broad brush as bad. They don't weed out the cheaters in the system and punish the doctors who assist the cheaters.

The Democrats make the same mistake, but they paint everything as good to buy votes. Both parties want to be seen as champions to their constituency.

Now if the Democrats and Republicans had the balls to rework the system so only the deserving got the benefits it would be an historical event. Its exactly like handicapped parking. Everyone is afraid of fixing it for fear of being labeled anti disability.
TWinger

Post by TWinger »

I may have missed my mark or did not make my self clear, what I was trying to say is these folks continue to support the democrat party, but it appears as thought the party does not return the favor. When they keep getting nothing in return, you would think they would look for another party to carry there tourch.
Troy Winger
Guyle

Post by Guyle »

I was hoping that after the election Greg would disappear. No such luck, bummer.
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Guyle wrote:I was hoping that after the election Greg would disappear. No such luck, bummer.
Where's that effing David Copperfield when you need him?
TWinger

Post by TWinger »

Greg is like a good hemroid, once you think it is gone, it returns for another painful moment.
Troy Winger
TWinger

Post by TWinger »

Did I spell Hemi right, Oh Greg will correct me if I am wrong.
Troy Winger
FishaHallic

Post by FishaHallic »

I think Greg brings a breath of fresh air to the forum.
Florida transplant, miss my Bass fishing
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Greg has one fan.
StockOption

Post by StockOption »

FishaHallic wrote:I think Greg brings a breath of fresh air to the forum.
It's "air" I guess, but I certainly question its freshness :)

LOL

I will give him credit though he is a youtube master ;)

8)
Kurt
FishaHallic

Post by FishaHallic »

He is the youtube king but he also has some good videos at the bottom of his signature. He could do something with his avatar though, that picture is horrendous :D
Florida transplant, miss my Bass fishing
TWinger

Post by TWinger »

I think it would be great for Greg to start classes on line to help the rest of us catchy up to his computer skills
Troy Winger
Fishin' Dave

Post by Fishin' Dave »

So, why is't Obama the first multi-culture President? If we follow this thought process then I am a Cherokee/Scottish/German American and demand to be referanced as one if Obama gets to be an African American. I hate this crap!
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.
K-DOGG

Post by K-DOGG »

Twinger, in respone to your question about the poor, Jesus said that the poor will be with you always! No matter how you help out some people, some of the same and others will fall on difficult times. That's just life! :cry:
John 3:16
Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

So is Obama half white or half black ? Or is he African American Or American -African ?

I wonder what he thinks when he looks in a mirror ?

Cracks me up when you look at all of the celebrations around the world from the Black perspective as to how every one of the people asked say how amazing it was that America voted in its first African-American President !

Would it have been much different if his wife was white ? and his kids been lighter in skin color ? How much of the vote would he had gotten then ?

I think people will soon realize that some were along the line he will be seen as just an American Man as a President with a Job to do !

Least I hope so, Personally I am Dam tired of the African American thing. In the late 60 early 70's it was Black is Beautiful or Power To The People, Then some were along the line, people started to identify them self's as African-Americans. Funny thing is that Latinos don't call them self's Mexican-Americans or Native Indians say Indian-American's, how about Chinese-Americans or Polish-Americans, what about Filipino or Russian or Vietnamese or what ever. Dam stupid if you ask me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All it dose is put's a label on people like calling a Car a Ford. Stupid crap. Sick, Sick, Sick of it and I wish it would just go away. What ever happened to Just American for ALL ?
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

I think people will soon realize that some were along the line he will be seen as just an American Man as a President with a Job to do !
The sooner the better!
Glenn Abuelhaj