procraft or ranger?

orob

procraft or ranger?

Post by orob »

Any info on procraft or ranger? I am looking to buy my first bass boat and need some help.
Slippy

Re: procraft or ranger?

Post by Slippy »

brand new???? if you have the $$ i would go with the Ranger, better resale and better made boat.
LL
RMARX

Post by RMARX »

PROCRAFT!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Are you kidding?

Thats like comparing a to Pinto a Cadillac!

Take a ride in both. You will see
OG on WB since 1993
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

Take a ride in both. You will see
That's the only way to decide. Throw in a little wind if you can.
I had to come back...I know...
keithcant

Post by keithcant »

Add a LOT of wind and put a Champion in the mix-----there will be no comparison----unless you do not ever visit Delta,
Clear Lake,Havasu, Mohave, Mead .....a Great Lake or ever want to run out to Catalina.
"The Gods do not deduct from man's alloted span the hours spent in fishing"--
Proverb Ancient Babylonia.
Mike

Post by Mike »

keithcant wrote:Add a LOT of wind and put a Champion in the mix-----there will be no comparison----unless you do not ever visit Delta,
Clear Lake,Havasu, Mohave, Mead .....a Great Lake or ever want to run out to Catalina.

He was asking about Procraft or Ranger. :roll:
OG on WB since 1993
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

Slippy wrote:brand new???? if you have the $$ i would go with the Ranger, better resale and better made boat.
Old news.
Ranger has pretty much ruined the resale value of their boat. Might ask some of these guys trying to sell their Rangers that do not qualify for the original owner contingency. I see boats still for sale that were offered years ago when I bought mine. I have seen guys willing to take 15,000 hits on one year old boats. More than one, try 25,000 less than new.
TRUFISH

Post by TRUFISH »

I have a Procraft Super Pro 200. It's been a good boat over 9 years, but it's an intermediate boat. Not the worst boat but not the best. Personally I think the big 3 are in order, Ranger, Triton, Skeeter. It really depends on what your needs are and what is your financial situation. The big 3 will cost more. I hope this helps.
basslayer

Post by basslayer »

basscat, 4years in a row jd powers #1 in costomer satisfaction.
WildDog3

Post by WildDog3 »

Champion is definitely better than a Triton!
Phil

Post by Phil »

WildDog3 wrote:Champion is definitely better than a Triton!
you would say that until you owned a Triton... Seriously !

But to answer the Procraft or Ranger Question..I have owned both, and Ranger is definitely superior !!

Ask Bassndan
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

Out of the two Ranger before Procraft. Much better ride and resale.

I will add my .02cents with BassCat and you will never go back!!!!!!!

Total Performance Bassboat!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HANDS DOWN THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!
In my opinion!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
flippenfool

Post by flippenfool »

Ranger is by far a more comfortable ride and not just because I am a Ranger owner. It is not the fastest hull on the market but if you are looking for a comfortable ride along with good re-sale,then Ranger is your choice. Everyone is going to promote what they own, I am very pleased with my current boat ( 2008 Z21) and have had no issues with either of the 2 that I have owned in the last 12 years. Go ride in both before you do anything, Good luck in your search,
Mike
Grape Ape

Post by Grape Ape »

Ranger....enough said. The only boat that can come close is a Legend. Oh and I recently sold my older Ranger and sold it in less than a week then went out and bought a new one. I'm not sure why the comment was made that Ranger had "ruined it's resale value"? This is a totally false statement. Trying to sell any used boat today is tough.

Just listen to what the others are telling you......go out and drive one then pick the one you like the best. These guys are going to tell you the boat they own is the best....kinda like I'm doing! :lol:

Oh and lets not forget....is there a dealership in your area for warranty work if needed and servicing? This is huge!
Last edited by Grape Ape on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Harry Markarian

Markarian Investigations @ (209) 777-9696
USAF (Retired)
Merced PD (Retired)
C & C Marine
CHUG BUG

Post by CHUG BUG »

if money is not an issue, i'd go with the ranger for the customer service and the re-sale. if you are on a budget, the procraft is one of the best "bang for the buck" boats on the market. i always try to approach these questions as un-biased as possible, but if you want a truly realistic answer, you'll have to provide more info.

buying new?
long term investment?
budget?

you will hear how the ranger has a better ride, but i disagree. one of the most comfortable boats i have been in was a procraft. and the storage seems endless! either way, i wish i was in your situation!
Jeff Huth

Post by Jeff Huth »

One thing for sure in todays market, take the time to do your research, it's definitly a buyers market and not difficult to gather info on boat options and resale value. Remember that the true cost of your boat is what it cost you AFTER you sell it.ie. if you pay 50,000.00 and sell for 30,000.00 it cost you 20,000.00. Look at a boat purchase this way and it could change your mind on which boat to buy. Either way, buy what gives you a "happy butt" when you drive it, and do just that, take some test drives. Stop by the C @ C Marine ,Ranger booth at San Mateo this weekend and talk to some of the guys there I know we can give you some help.
Phil

Post by Phil »

FOR ITS SIZE, 18 FT ; I WOULD PUT MY OLD 1989 374V UP AGAINST ANY OTHER BOAT FOR RIDE COMFORT.NOT SPEED, BUT COMFORT..........
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

JIGSRETIRED wrote:FOR ITS SIZE, 18 FT ; I WOULD PUT MY OLD 1989 374V UP AGAINST ANY OTHER BOAT FOR RIDE COMFORT.NOT SPEED, BUT COMFORT..........
89 374 GREAT BOAT but my 04 18 BassCat will ride better and faster. I love Rangers but NO COMPARISON!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
rwderrick

Post by rwderrick »

RANGER
barse41

Post by barse41 »

JIGSRETIRED wrote:FOR ITS SIZE, 18 FT ; I WOULD PUT MY OLD 1989 374V UP AGAINST ANY OTHER BOAT FOR RIDE COMFORT.NOT SPEED, BUT COMFORT..........
FOR ITS SIZE, 19 FT ; I WOULD PUT MY OLD 1988 390V UP AGAINST ANY OTHER BOAT FOR RIDE COMFORT. NOT SPEED, BUT COMFORT.........

20 YEARS OLD AND SOME BOATS STILL ARENT AS COMFY ON PLANE
theres a fine line between fishin and standin on a boat like an idiot
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Drive them both (in your price range) and you will surely figure it out. Anyway you go, good luck with your new boat. There are lots of nice Rangers out there looking for good homes :)
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

Do this in any boat and then decide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyHfj3dwD70

Should pretty much answer your quesions.....

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

gabuelhaj wrote:Do this in any boat and then decide:

Good luck!

Those aren't "Waves" :lol: ....And he is only pulling 3.5k rps max through them.

Smoothest boat I have have ever riden on was Ed Schniders .... Hands down !! That sled is truly the Cadicac of Boats !!

I would love to take a ride in one of these new Champions as I think they have the most workable front deck, But I am not at all interested in a new ride. .Just raising 10" my JP up more than where it is now. :D
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
Gator

Post by Gator »

Hey orob - I would say Ranger hands down because I love mine. 94 362V.

I cannot give you a definitive answer because I have never ridden in/fished out of a ProCraft.

Take a look at this article - hopefully it will help you in your boat buying adventure!

http://www.westernbass.com/ncalifornia/ ... ml?id=2307
Nick_Barr

Post by Nick_Barr »

Everyone is going to chime in, as for the selection between the 2, ride and decide, but I say that Ranger is a far better boat than a Procraft.

But figure out what is best for you and your budget. The BEST BOAT is the boat that you can afford!

Personally, I have a Legend and love it, it is a great boat and my next boat will be a Legend.

http://www.Ridewithalegend.com
http://www.NickBarrFishing.com
President, Eastern Washington University Sportsman's Club
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

flippenfool wrote:Ranger is by far a more comfortable ride and not just because I am a Ranger owner. It is not the fastest hull on the market but if you are looking for a comfortable ride along with good re-sale,then Ranger is your choice.
+1 IMHO... very happy with my Z20.

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
npangler

Post by npangler »

one word "BASSCAT"
rippnlips

Post by rippnlips »

Not much to really look at when you are only going MAYBE 15 mph..My Stratos would have done 10 times better :roll:
RMARX

Re: procraft or ranger?*NM*

Post by RMARX »

*NM*
palmdale-shane

Post by palmdale-shane »

Fishing as a co for a year and a half I rode in almost every boat made and all I have to say is “PROCRAPâ€
rippnlips

Post by rippnlips »

cant be worse than a skeeter! Maybe the new ones are better but the ones built in the 90's were junk. Suprised im not peeing blood hahaha
palmdale-shane

Post by palmdale-shane »

As bad as a Skeeter is in rough water the Procraft was worse.
rippnlips

Post by rippnlips »

Damn i thought the only thing worse would be a john boat with big motor :lol:
palmdale-shane

Post by palmdale-shane »

The newer Skeeters are better than duck boats..lol. I have 22ft Skeeter bay boat and it handles the rough water good but I'm not sitting either. The Champs are good in rough water but nothing I rode in was like a Ranger Z.
rippnlips

Post by rippnlips »

Out of the boats i've owned my 95 Stratos 201 Pro Xl was my favorite for bad water. I blew by a triton 21 at lake powell like it was sitting still

oh well...no mater what boat you have it still beats not having one!
Vernonn

Post by Vernonn »

Back in 97 I bought a new Astro 1800 bassboat, which was built by the same company as the Procraft (they shared hulls for a while). By 2003, the screws holding the top cap to the hull were all loosening. Some of the holes needed to be redrilled and glued in. The boat was 18ft 3 inches and this model seems very light compared to an 18ft 5 inch Ranger 185 I bought in 2005.

Comparing the two, the Ranger has a very stable ride and feel. Towing the Astro was very easy and seemed much lighter in weight compared to the Ranger. The heavier feel makes the Ranger more comfortable in chop than the Astro.

Fit and finish goes to Ranger hands down between the two.

Whatever you buy, good luck!!
CN

Post by CN »

Ranger all the way and I would look for a late model used one.You should be able to get some good deal's right now.

The only thing I can say about Procraft is I saw one a few year's ago and the top part of the boat was becoming seperated from the Hull and it was only a few year's old........scary.

Either way once your in it catching fish you really could care less about the name on the side.

PS:You will never convince me any other Bass boat has a better fishing platform than Ranger.
Gumpa

Post by Gumpa »

Orob, There is a reason I'm called Gumpa. Well, thats what my Grandkids call me anyway. Bisides that, I have been fishing tournements since 1974. So I've been around for a while. I was not a boat owner untill 2000. So for 26yrs I fished as a non boater. I have fished out of every kind of bass boat know to man. Heck the very first 1 was an Owatchataw that my Uncle owned. Hot ride back in the day.

Now I know that alot of the younger fellas have there oppinion about what they own and I respect theres for sure. After all those years of fishing club draws, BASS Federation Draws, Open Draws, I have had some seat time in all kinds of weather conditions and boats.

And I have to say I never felt more safe and comfortable in a Ranger. Year in and year out that was the one boat that I truly enjoyed fishing out of. In 1982 my Uncle bought a Ranger and we Fished team tournements together as well. He has taken such good care of it the thing it looks and still fishes great.

Look, I'm not here to start a boat war just giving my $.02. I guess the funny part in all of this is the First Boat I bought back in 2000. A Triton TR-21. And I will never own any other brand. Its like one of the other fellas said, Ranger, Triton, Skeeter, The big Three. I think if you look at the past history of Ray Scott with BASS you will see what Boat Sponser he went with. Theres a reason behind all of that. Its not always about the Big Money. It's about about safety, durablity, customer satisfaction. Ranger. And now Triton and Skeeter. Tom
Grandkids. Fishing. What could be better? Watching them catch a big 1 Or hitting 1 out of the park. "Never give up" for the love of the game!
N.A.R

Post by N.A.R »

I would question if .....

Will ProCraft be around much longer? Now don't get me wrong I am sure Nitro will but will they keep the ProCraft line? In this economy anything could happen.
Phil

Post by Phil »

DeltaDan wrote:
gabuelhaj wrote:Do this in any boat and then decide:

Good luck!

Those aren't "Waves" :lol: ....And he is only pulling 3.5k rps max through them.

Smoothest boat I have have ever riden on was Ed Schniders .... Hands down !! That sled is truly the Cadicac of Boats !!

I would love to take a ride in one of these new Champions as I think they have the most workable front deck, But I am not at all interested in a new ride. .Just raising 10" my JP up more than where it is now. :D
DAN, YOU OWN THE BEST AT THE MOMENT !! FOR ITS SIZE !!!
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

If this is your first bassboat, my recomendation would be to try asking for a ride in and/or day out fishing in as many different boats as you can before you make up your mind. Seriously, a bass boat/any boat is a major investment and will continue to suck your wallet dry until you sell it. There is an old saying that the two best days in the life of any boat owner are the day he buys it and the day he sells it!

Please know also that a good driver can make any boat feel like a cadillac, even in the worst of conditions.

The most expensive part of any boat is the motor, so you want to make sure whatever you buy has a "sound" power source - pay the money to have it evaluated by an independant/dis-interested shop.

Again, if you nose the bow down you can make just about any boat plow though "waves" as was depicted on the video. The difference is you want to try it out on the San Joaquin or across Franks - nothing like what they show in that video.

What works for you/your budget may not be what works for everyone else - but they are not paying for it! Don't worry about what anyone else recommends or thinks.

I have ridden in Tritons, Rangers, Nitro's, Basscats, Skeeters, Stratos, Champion, heck I can't even remember all the brands I have ridden on (I'm an old Fart - what can I say...) but the bottom line is what feels right to you and what works for your budget.

One more thing to remember is that I can almost guarantee that no matter what boat you buy first you will always wish for "two more feet", and will probably sell it within 2 or 3 years!

BTW, I own a Skeeter that I love dearly, my son owns an older Ranger that is very nice as well. Of course I prefer my Skeeter and he prefers his Ranger (except he blew his motor so his boat don't go right now :roll: ) If you are interested and if timing is right I would be willing to take you out for a ride on the delta in mine, and I'm sure there are others out there that would be happy to take you out and extoll the virtues of their particular ride. We all like to brag about our boats!
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

JIGSRETIRED wrote:
DeltaDan wrote: Smoothest boat I have have ever riden on was Ed Schniders .... Hands down !! That sled is truly the Cadicac of Boats !!

DAN, YOU OWN THE BEST AT THE MOMENT !! FOR ITS SIZE !!!
Amen Bro -- But the ride in Ed's 22' Ranger at last years Delta WON .....with the spring/air/computer controlled seats was off the frickin' hook in Luxury !! Image
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
Gator

Post by Gator »

Orob - you want to ride in a Ranger on the Delta this weekend?? I can either bring mine, or I can get another newer model for you to try out. Let me know. I will be there from Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon, ust let me know what year range you are looking in and I can make it happen
sTony

Post by sTony »

I've never owned a Procraft but have had a couple few Rangers and they are a great boat, no matter what model year you're looking at currently.

C&C Marine has a bunch of them over at the San Mateo ISE right now through the weekend. Dobyns will be there also and he's been pro staff for both so if you're heading out that way he'd be a great guy to talk to about it.

sTony
orob

Post by orob »

Thx everyone for the info. I am going to get some more time on the water in different boats before I buy
orob

Post by orob »

Gator thx but have to work