is it ok to test drive a boat before buying?

aNNieNsaLTIE

is it ok to test drive a boat before buying?

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

How many have done this? I know alot of you guys say drive it before buying it, but then what do you owe if you do not want to buy the boat because you want to test another?

how do you considerately do this without pissing off the boat dealer?

at the ise show i was talking to jeff huth? very nice guy from C and C and he invited me for a ride., cool? but i want to ride a basscat and compare. I like the 188 ranger but i would also like to drive a sabre and pantera. should i try to try them all? I do not want to create any hard feelings.

Steven
Brian

Re: is it ok to test drive a boat before buying?

Post by Brian »

When you are about to spend that much $$$$$, why are you worried about upsetting them?
[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Just say I want to test drive the boats and compare them before making my purchase. This is a reasonable request and if the dealer A doesnt want to or doesnt call one of their pro staffers to do it then you do NOT want to do business with that dealer.

Dont sweat their feelings, its your $$$ and you need to 100% happy with the liability that you are purchasing.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Jim Moulton

Post by Jim Moulton »

Steven
Thanks for stopping by our booth at the San Mateo show. The cool part of our booth was being right next to the tank and hearing all the great seminars.

Now to answer your question. You have every right to test drive a boat before you buy. That is why we have guys on our pro staff. Just call us at the shop and we can arrange for a test drive.

Thanks Jim Moulton
BassCatPuma

Post by BassCatPuma »

Steven,
All the dealers would set you up in a demo ride. when you are ready to go for some demo rides in the Basscat's get ahold of me and I will take you out in a few.

Thanks
Tim Hendricks
209-507-1474
www.basscat.com
www.mossdale-boats.com
www.purefishing.com
www.nosweatmist.com
www.rodwraps.com
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

TEST DRIVE IS A MUST!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take Tim Hendricks up on his offer. You will LOVE BassCat boats. I have A 2004 Sabre 150 Optimax on it and LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have had Ranger, Triton, Nitro,Charger,and Skeeter owners in my boat and they are very impressed with the fishability,ride, and speed that comes from this 18' boat with A 150 Optimax. The 2009 BassCat boats are going to be designed only better.

Good luck with finding A boat that best fits your style of fishing.

Terry
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
D1NONLY

Post by D1NONLY »

Hey Salty,

Don't test drive the boats just buy one each and we can figure how you like each boat when we each take one out fishing. Ha Ha..........................

Post by Guest »

Same process as buying/test driving a car. Test drive everything out there and see how it handles.
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

Most of the boat dealers around here will give you much better customer service than any car dealer. If logistics are difficult between your location and the dealer they can almost always arrange a ride with a prostaffer on a lake near you.

Long ago when Mike Van Wagner was working at Galaxie I was looking at the Triton I ended up buying, but wasn't sure it would fit diagonally into my garage. One of his pro staff (Tom Coss) was having his Triton serviced and he asked how close Tom lived to me. He was in Pleasanton I was in Newark and his business was in Santa Clara. Monday afternoon Tom drove home got his boat and brought it to my house to make sure his boat (same model) would fit in my garage! It did and I bought the boat Mike had on his floor.

The guys that have been in the bass boat business for any length of time seem to really value customer service. Ask around on the board about any of the dealers and you will find out pretty quick who you want to do business with.

Enjoy the process of looking.

Scott
Norv

Post by Norv »

I'm not sure about other dealers or salesmen, but I have known and dealt with Mike Van Wagner for many years and am happy to say that he went out of his way to help my brother in law test drive various boats before he purchased his Champion. When I was looking for my Triton it was a brand new model and no dealers in ther western states had any. So Mike worked with the factory to locate an owner in Arizona who had just taken delivery of one. He contacted the owner and made arrangements for me to meet the owner at his home and inspect the boat. When I was in Arizona I called Mike and placed my order. Without this level of service I would not have purchased the boat until I could see and touch it. Mike's level of customer service is way beyond the ordinary!!! This is how you should expect to be treated. If you want a demo ride to make up your mind then you should insist on it.
Norval Chan

ESOX Rods
Put a Sock on It
Xtreme Reel+
Peregrine 250
Water Dog
Eagle Eye
California Community Credit Union
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

I would agree Mike gives a level of service above any I have personally dealt with and that is why I have refferred people to him time and again over the years regardless of the brand he happens to be selling.

Having said that, I have also heard of a select few dealers in the state that give a level of service much higher than what you might experience at a car dealer. They simply don't have the volume and we are a relativley small group that relies on personal experience and word of mouth/forums to report on our satisfaction with dealers. On the other hand, there have been a few dealers that have not given good service and word got around quickly as well.

The level of service Mike gives is outstanding and I am sure has resulted in continued sales and business success. But I wanted to assure the original poster that he should be receiving a high level of service from any dealer he is considering spending a great deal of discretionary dollars with and test driving boats is standard fare.

Scott
Fish Trap

Post by Fish Trap »

I just bought a new to me, used 2000 520vx Ranger. Mike Van Wagner was very instrumental in helping me look at a bunch of used boats and giving me his thoughts on all of them. Even when he knew I could not afford a new boat at this time. He went over the diagnostics with Phil his mechanic and let me know if this was the right boat for me. I would say for a boat dealer to do all that he did was way above and beyond any car sales rep you could find. In fact, part of the reason I bought a Ranger was because of his dealership. Capitol City was the best, and Mike, by getting some of the small things fixed and getting me on the water. Some day if and when I do buy new I will definately be buying from Mike over at Capitol City. Great guys, great pro staffers to answer your needs and questions. Mike if you read this, Thanks! I would recommend to definately get a test ride from these guys.

Tony K.
Taint

Post by Taint »

Get that boat anyway you can, even if ur mommy has to pay for it!
Phil

Post by Phil »

DRIVE AND TEST THEM ALL, ITS YOUR MONEY....DON'T PAY ANYTHING TO TEST DRIVE, (IF YOUR SERIOUS THAT IS )!!!THATS NUTS !!
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

This is the primary reason that most reputable dealers have a pro-staff - To make sure you get a ride in one if you want to try it out. Just about any make you want will be available. Possibly not the exact model, but you can get close. Call the dealers and ask about setting up a demo ride. I got several rides in different boats by going to tournaments and asking the various pro-staffers for a ride. Somtimes they can't accomodate you but if you make prior arrangements that should not be a problem.

You need to test out any boat you are going to buy, especially if you end up buying a used boat! Test everything - livewells, pumps, electronics, lights, if it's there, make sure it works. And if buying used make certain that you have the motor completely checked - compression, leak-down, etc.

A boat is a serious investment - from which you will not get any return - so if someone won't give you a ride in it, turn and run!
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
big bass beckstrom

Post by big bass beckstrom »

Pm sent
Elliott
www.basscat.com
www.mossdale-boats.com
www.blackdogbaits.com
www.fishdelta.com