Frog rod

fishinfool74

Frog rod

Post by fishinfool74 »

I am looking for a frog rod, I would like a rod that I can use for other things when not throwing frogs. maybe some rods and other uses. I have been looking along the line of a 735. Don't want this to turn into a big debate just some ideas. Thanks
FR0G

Re: Frog rod

Post by FR0G »

A 735 would work good. I use a 765 right now, because I like the extra 3 inches for more leverage. I also use that rod for a number of baits. Jigs, punching, small swimbaits, open water frogging (wrist does get tired doing this though), big senkos, texa rigs and carolina rigs. I have pulled big bass out of nasty cover with this rod. Remember the braid though! Also a 7.1 reel helps a ton too. Good luck with choosing a rod! Oh yeah, go to your local tackle shop and try out all the rods you are thinking about getting with the reel you plan on using. That helps a ton too.
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

I like the 765 Powell. Since i do not throw a frog all the time, the 765 can serve as a part time flip, mission fish, jig, texas rig rod for the delta.
DPetty

Post by DPetty »

I will recommend the Dobyns 736C: very light weight, super sensitive and extremely well balanced with enough back bone to pull 'em out of the worst slop. This is a great frog rod.

Hope this helps and good fishin' to ya'

Don Petty
Hipster

Post by Hipster »

The Lamiglas Swimbait Special doubles as a great Frog Rod!!
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
some guy

Post by some guy »

i use the loomis version. Its a powerful rod. Ive also used the lamiglass rod for frogs too. Its a great rod but the softer tip of the loomis gave me more casting distance.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
Mike

Post by Mike »

DPetty wrote:I will recommend the Dobyns 736C: very light weight, super sensitive and extremely well balanced with enough back bone to pull 'em out of the worst slop. This is a great frog rod.

Hope this helps and good fishin' to ya'

Don Petty

+1
OG on WB since 1993
Beach Steve Biechman

Post by Beach Steve Biechman »

For $200.00 you can have the best. Just tell me what length you want it, 6'6" through 8', and what handle you want on it and I'll send you one. Also good for top water, small swimbaits, carolina rigs, and bubba shots for the delta.

Beach
Beach Steve Biechman
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Do take a look at Beichman's work, he can build an awesome rod for ya!

Also take a look at the Fenwick Elite-Tech Froggin Stik - ECF72H-XF. At 7'2", it also makes a great pitchin/jig rod, as well as fer tossing big wake baits and C-riggen the big baits.
Micropterus salmoides

Post by Micropterus salmoides »

For those that have the g2 Dobyns 736 is the tip soft enough to walk a frog with no problems?
Guy Williams

Post by Guy Williams »

Hipster wrote:The Lamiglas Swimbait Special doubles as a great Frog Rod!!
That's what I use too.
Guy Williams
You know it's going to hell when the best rapper out there is white and the best golfer is black.
Charles Barkley
Nor Cal Bassman

Post by Nor Cal Bassman »

fishinfool74 wrote:I am looking for a frog rod, I would like a rod that I can use for other things when not throwing frogs. maybe some rods and other uses. I have been looking along the line of a 735. Don't want this to turn into a big debate just some ideas. Thanks
Ya know, I had a post like this not to long ago, best thing I found out was going out to local shop and holding each rod, and asking the guys behind the counter to try out the reel you want on the rod. I like the 735 powell and the 705 powell, they both state the use for froggin. The 705 also stated for heavy jig and carolina rig. Match eather one up with the new curado 200e7, and you'll be happy!!! 8)
[albumimg]242[/albumimg]
"Its not how deep you fish, its how you wiggle your worm!"
Mike

Post by Mike »

Micropterus salmoides wrote:For those that have the g2 Dobyns 736 is the tip soft enough to walk a frog with no problems?

If you fishing only open water, I would go with the 735c and 50# Power Pro. It has a softer tip for walking. If you plan to fish some slop/cheese, I would go with the 736c or 766c and 65# Power Pro.
OG on WB since 1993
jsoregon

Post by jsoregon »

735 or 736 Dobyns Frog rod is the "GITTER DONE Special" for me boys... :lol:

Lightest weight frog rod I've seen and statistically the most balanced.
big bass beckstrom

Post by big bass beckstrom »

POWELL 725, 735, or 765
Elliott
www.basscat.com
www.mossdale-boats.com
www.blackdogbaits.com
www.fishdelta.com
tim mc nicholas

Post by tim mc nicholas »

There's a nice write-up on Bassfan.
Paul W

Post by Paul W »

I like a Powell 734 or even a 733 in open water. A 735 would be a better all around option though for heavy cover as well. Great rod for pitching/flipping too!

Paul W