Wacky Senkos keep falling off....

amBASSador

Wacky Senkos keep falling off....

Post by amBASSador »

how do you prevent wacky senkos from falling off? I go through
a lot of senkos on each fishing trip. I seen the wacky tool, does that really work.... or do you have any homrmade ideas.. THANKS!
Romeo D

Re: Wacky Senkos keep falling off....

Post by Romeo D »

are you using an O ring? Using a tighter one will work better. It has for me, they don't slide off anymore.
Levy

Post by Levy »

Yes the tool really works. get one and your Senkos will usually last for multiple fish. I still can't believe I waited so long to do this myself.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

MikeD posted a great pictoral on creating a homemade toll for applying O-Rings. Yes the O-rings work and help save baits!
Mark-C

Post by Mark-C »

Like these guys said, the O rings work great. Also keep your torn up senkos and fix them with Mend-it if you want to cut down on costs. I've had a great time with my young son making bizzare combinations of 10" long Senkos out of old baits using Mend-it or a soldering iron. Caught a lot of nice fish on these baits and wonder if it helps to throw something unique that the fish haven't seen?
biteme

Post by biteme »

Go to walmart and buy a caulking tube for 2.00. Cut the pointy end off. Roll the O ring onto the pointy end up over the senko. It will hold all day.
RichThiel

Post by RichThiel »

Go to the Hardware store neariest to ya and buy a foot long of clear PVC tubing. Take the 5" and 6" with you and size the inside diameter of the tubing to the senko.

Take a pair of scissors and cut thin slice's from the PVC and it will save you time and bucks. About 1/10th of a nickle apiece.

Just an Idea

Rich
Guide on the California Delta and Lake Berryessa for Largemouth, Smallmouth and Spots. Teach all known techniques with up to date artificial baits.

www.calbassguide.com ,

Best 5 over 7lbs for 09
1- 8lb 3oz
2- 10.73
3- 9.06
4-
5-
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

You can also slide a short piece of drinking straw onto the senko, and put the hook right through it. Works for all worms that are wacky rigged, and the hook is riding at right angles to the worm.
You can do the same thing with doubled, crossed O rings, but the straw is easy, too.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Jim Moulton

Post by Jim Moulton »

Buy the tool it pays for itself in 1 trip. Besides it holds the o rings better than the homemade ones. My 2 cents jim
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

biteme wrote:Go to walmart and buy a caulking tube for 2.00. Cut the pointy end off. Roll the O ring onto the pointy end up over the senko. It will hold all day.
Couldn't you just cut the pointy end off in Walmart and see what they want for it?
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Go to Radio Shack and buy a three foot piece of shrink wrap tubing. Cut it into 3/8 pieces, pull it over your Senko and hook through the Shrink wrap on both sides and through the Senko. Shrink wrap is tougher than hell.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
RipnRog

Post by RipnRog »

just go to your local tackle shop or ebay and buy the real tool.... there is an aluminum one that I would suggest buying because if you leave it on the floor of your boat and step on it then it will not break...... :evil:
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

"I'll just drop it on their head, and then rip their lips off with a TV hookset..." <i>unnamed angler when discussing how he fishes a jig</i>
L Dub

Post by L Dub »

Get some tiny rubberbands from your GF/wife that she uses to hold up her hair.
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

L Dub wrote:Get some tiny rubberbands from your GF/wife that she uses to hold up her hair.
And then wut?
texas john

Post by texas john »

You dont need the tool in all cases but the two O-Ring method (crossing them and then run your hook thru the cross) works great and keeps the hook perpindicular to the worm. in some cases you will loose your senko but still get your rings back.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/jtrtexca/usmcsealani.gif[/img]
www.johnrector.yolasite.com
www.pepperjigs.com
L Dub

Post by L Dub »

L Dub wrote:
And then wut?
Oops. Was at work and only had a sec.

wrap it around the worm and use as an o-ring. Really cheap. $3 for 200 or so. Marty brought this up last time the topic arose.

Hi Marty! Are you still up in OR?
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

Buy the tool. The shrink wrap works good too like Greg said. Forget the little rubber bands, they suck.
http://www.dobynsrods.com
Marty

Post by Marty »

L Dub wrote:
L Dub wrote:
And then wut?
Oops. Was at work and only had a sec.
wrap it around the worm and use as an o-ring. Really cheap. $3 for 200 or so. Marty brought this up last time the topic arose.
Hi Marty! Are you still up in OR?
Larry, I never said anything about using tiny rubber-bands from your GF or Wife hair to wacky rigged a worm. I’m with Johnny C, they suck!

I have used O-rings, clear tubing, shrink wrap, and drinking straw but never rubber-bands. There was once a post where someone said use rubber-bands that are used for braiding horses hair but that was a long time ago.

I have at one time said use the Dental bands to wrap the skirt on a treble hook but not for wacky rigged a worm – sorry.

As for prevent wacky senkos from falling off, I believe is because of using the wrong size O-ring, clear tubing and drinking straw. Shrink wrap when heated will prevent the worm from falling off and I use for small worms when wacky rigging on a drop shot. But those have to be pre-rigged because the wind never stops on the Delta and it is hard to heat the shrink wrap.

I did make me one of MikeD tools and it works fine but can’t find it when I need it – what I use is my need-nose pliers, and I always know where they are.

Currently I only use O-rings because they are fast and easy to use and time is everything on the water – need to keep the hook wet!

One last thing, it was CO. not OR. 8)
Melones_IS_Mine

Post by Melones_IS_Mine »

Yep! I bought some. Much cheaper.
L Dub

Post by L Dub »

Oops... Now I remember. Sorry Marty! I can't remember who showed it to me then... oh well, works for me!
Fish Trap

Post by Fish Trap »

Shrink wrap for sure, run the hook point perpenciular to the bait and pin it twice. Once in and out. It is almost snagproof in heavy cover as the hook is perpendicular to the worm and it seems to wiggle its way through the toolies and weeds. I had to throw my senko away yesterday as it was burned out from fishing trips and fish. If you change just pull the senko out of the shrink wrap and pull another one in slowly (streching it) then rehook. Originally you will have to shrink it onto the senko to start. Just a lighter and a small piece of shrink wrap. Then heat it up and roll the senko as you are shrinking the wrap on. The only way they fall off is if a fish grabs one end and holds on tight and you set, or they get chewed in half. Definately much better hooking power than rings beacuse it holds that point out. And you will have a hard time losing the shrink wrap.
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

Fish Trap wrote:Shrink wrap for sure, run the hook point perpenciular to the bait and pin it twice. Once in and out. It is almost snagproof in heavy cover as the hook is perpendicular to the worm and it seems to wiggle its way through the toolies and weeds. I had to throw my senko away yesterday as it was burned out from fishing trips and fish. If you change just pull the senko out of the shrink wrap and pull another one in slowly (streching it) then rehook. Originally you will have to shrink it onto the senko to start. Just a lighter and a small piece of shrink wrap. Then heat it up and roll the senko as you are shrinking the wrap on. The only way they fall off is if a fish grabs one end and holds on tight and you set, or they get chewed in half. Definately much better hooking power than rings beacuse it holds that point out. And you will have a hard time losing the shrink wrap.
I seen this style of wacky riggin personally on friday.. I was impressed!
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

texas john wrote:You dont need the tool in all cases but the two O-Ring method (crossing them and then run your hook thru the cross) works great and keeps the hook perpindicular to the worm. in some cases you will loose your senko but still get your rings back.
+1

Another idea with this is go get a pack of strike king zero's. They are indestructable and work. You only lose them when they hang up. If the bite is tough, stay with the senko, I think I get more fish, but its a toss up. If they are all over that senko, 1 zero will last you forever unless you break off.
LL
snapitoff2002

Post by snapitoff2002 »

Jim Moulton wrote:Buy the tool it pays for itself in 1 trip. Besides it holds the o rings better than the homemade ones. My 2 cents jim
+1

Besides... no more O-rings falling out of a baggy and going everywhere.
Josh Palmer

"Champions keep playing till they get it right"
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

snapitoff2002 wrote:
Jim Moulton wrote:Buy the tool it pays for itself in 1 trip. Besides it holds the o rings better than the homemade ones. My 2 cents jim
+1

Besides... no more O-rings falling out of a baggy and going everywhere.
But then you drop your tool in the water. Marty can shrink wrap tubing just by staring at it.