Boaters don't leave open compartment for Co's

Boaters don't leave open compartment for Co's

Post by 619 »

There was another post about tackle storage for Co's and it made me think about a recent tourny.

I fished as a boater in 05 and 06 Stren and WON bass. I also fish local team tournaments. I always have an empty compartment in my Ranger Boat for my co angler and/or my team partner. I thought that this was standard practice.

I decided to take a week off and fish the Stren delta as a co angler. I was very suprised to find out that non of my boaters had an empty compartment in the boat for my tackle. My buddy I practiced with didn't have space untill I gave him a hard time.

I had my Tackle narrowed down two 4 Rods, 2 Plano boxes, 5 waters lunch and a jacket and still no room.

What is your thoughts on this.
Rod Martin

Re: Boaters don't leave open compartment for Co's

Post by Rod Martin »

My partner has his own rod locker and storage compartment :shock:
Ricky-S

Post by Ricky-S »

Some guys have too much tackle. I always have an empty compartment for my cos.
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

I don't even tourny fish, but I always have open space for my co. There's a rod locker available and one storage compartment in the back.

I could understand if mybe an angler was fishing somewhere that they had no idea what to expect, and they literally brought everything, but even then.

Seems kinda inconsiderate to the co angler, but then again, it is their boat and their rules....
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
Ranger Jason

Post by Ranger Jason »

My Co always has open storage compartment whether in a tournament or just fun fishing.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thats pretty funny, thats what I think. Its sucks when the boater has zero room for your stuff which usually doesnt amount to much. I really appreciate having an open space for my stuff, and I hate when I have to place it in like 5 compartments to make it fit. I would say its 50/50 as far as a boater having an empty space.
Marty

Post by Marty »

During the pre-meeting with the Pro I always ask if they have an empty compartment and most say yes or they will clean one out for me. In the few cases that they said no I would bring Bungee Cords to tie under the back seat. I remember fishing with this one Pro and he had empty compartment but he did not want a bag in it so he made me remove everything and just put in the compartment and I had to leave my bag where he was docked at. To this day I still can’t figure that one out!
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

If there is no open compartment my stuff fits well under the drivers console :twisted: Just kidding, but not really. Just one of those things that make a Pro a Professional. Most are prepared and when I fish as a boater I always have room for a Co-angler. Professionals should have a well prepared rig for a Co-angler. That is part of your job. A Co-angler is paying his part of expenses to fish a tournament and should not be subjected to poor preparation and substandard equipment. Things happen that are sometimes out of a boater's control but when a boater does not maintain his equipment it is more likely to breakdown.
kb

Post by kb »

I always leave the compartment behind the co's seat open and always have water on ice in the cooler for both of us so we don't have to kick around an ice chest.

kb
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

kb wrote:always have water on ice in the cooler for both of us so we don't have to kick around an ice chest.

kb
That's pretty cool. I bring my own drinks but never a cooler. A cooler with ice is nice to have as well. I think it is pretty rare to have a Pro without room for a Co's gear.
drew

Post by drew »

No storage for the co's is a real bummer. :cry:
Last edited by drew on Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Post by Mike »

kb wrote:I always leave the compartment behind the co's seat open and always have water on ice in the cooler for both of us so we don't have to kick around an ice chest.

kb

+1
OG on WB since 1993
Marty

Post by Marty »

I can attest to the cold water on KB boat and his cooler is built in on this boat and he has one big compartment for the CO’s. It must be the type of boat he has :lol:
BMX Bassin

Post by BMX Bassin »

Mike wrote:
kb wrote:I always leave the compartment behind the co's seat open and always have water on ice in the cooler for both of us so we don't have to kick around an ice chest.

kb

+1
+2
BMX Mike
Jeff Jewell

Post by Jeff Jewell »

When I fish as a Co-Angler I've had it both ways, most have a box available, some don't....I only bring enough stuff to fit under the passenger console (if the boat has one) and I ask about a cooler, if the boater has one I bring ice.....
When in Doubt " Set the Hook"
Bassgod

Post by Bassgod »

I just fished the Delta and Clear Lake last week with 2 pro's and they both had a compartment for me. It may distinguish between true pro's and guys who just have the money to fish as a pro.
Both of my guys were top notch and left no doubt they were true pro's.
Thanks Phillip and Jason, you guys rock!
http://photobucket.com/albums/b349/Bassgodd/
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

The only Pro that I've fished with without room in a locker for me was Aaron Martins, and that was understandable since he was out on Tour at the time.

I always have a large soft-case with my stuff, and a smaller bag inside in case I have to size down and keep it at my feel. I really strive to come light as possible when running on the back deck.

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

I leave the entire rear of the boat open, half the ice chest and under the flipping deck. If I have to stuff those lockers with tackle to, I am in trouble already.
LL
YZKEN250

Post by YZKEN250 »

I always leave an rod locker open for my co's. They start catching more fish that me, I stuff them in there. :lol:
Phil

Post by Phil »

kb
+2>>>>>>>>>AND NO SOFT DRINKS, UNLESS SUGAR FREE !!!
csilva

Post by csilva »

For those who do leave a compartment open for Co-Anglers I found it best to leave the compartment behind the drivers seat open. Most compartment covers have handles which can catch a Co-Anglers rod and when he /she goes to close the cover SNAP.
StrictlyBiznuss

Post by StrictlyBiznuss »

I gotta say this post is very surprising to me and I guess I apparently need to change my ways. Before I admit to this though, let me first say that I fished as a non-boater / co-angler for 6+ years before ever getting a boat of my own. In those 6 years, I RARELY ever recall one of my boaters saying, "Hey, I've got an open compartment for you to put your stuff in." The couple of times that I can remember it happening, I actually remember being very surprised and just kind of thought..."Oh, cool." NEVER in those years did I ever actually expect my boater to have an open compartment for me, nor was I ever bothered that they didn't have one. Now as I'm reading this post apparently that was just me? Or are non-boaters now expecting more from their pros? With that in mind...I guess I'm now kind of ashamed to admit that in the past two years that I've had a boat, I have never had an open compartment for my co-angler. Apparently I've been pissing off my partners by not providing this? Wow, I had no idea. Like I said, I just never expected it as a non-boater, so I've just never even thought about it as a boater.

So now I've got questions...do all non-boaters expect this from their boater, and if so why exactly? Like I said, I never expected it, but I never really had a problem with keeping all of my stuff where ever they thought fit.
Alex---------<* ((( ><
Marc

Post by Marc »

Even when my tournament boat was a 15.5 foot Mon Ark I always kept a compartment open for my coangler. With my Ranger I keep a storage compartment, a rod locker, a live well, half of my ice chest, and half of my glove box available to the CoAngler.

ciao,
Marc
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

StrictlyBiznuss wrote:So now I've got questions...do all non-boaters expect this from their boater, and if so why exactly? Like I said, I never expected it, but I never really had a problem with keeping all of my stuff where ever they thought fit.
I would say more do than not. Especially in non-shared format tournaments. There are tournaments that I have a small Plano Flipsider as my tackle box. It is a great bag by the way. Room for some hardbaits, small hook and weight boxes and a good amount of plastics. It fits perfectly under a Ranger step. When I am not as dialed and need my bag and 3700's it is too much to leave in the cockpit. The compartment is also good for extra clothes as the day gets warmer. It is not just for the Co. The Pro benefits as well when that big bag is out of the way. We both have to use the cockpit area to net and manage fish. Plus the net is usually in that area. I am glad that you are able to learn what others are doing to accommodate the other angler. We are both fishing a tournament and it is the boaters job to make sure the equipment is ready. It is also nice to hear that it is rare what Art encountered. I have not seen too many that did not cover all of my needs as a non-boater and I do the same as a boater.
leachman90

Post by leachman90 »

StrictlyBiznuss wrote:I gotta say this post is very surprising to me and I guess I apparently need to change my ways. Before I admit to this though, let me first say that I fished as a non-boater / co-angler for 6+ years before ever getting a boat of my own. In those 6 years, I RARELY ever recall one of my boaters saying, "Hey, I've got an open compartment for you to put your stuff in." The couple of times that I can remember it happening, I actually remember being very surprised and just kind of thought..."Oh, cool." NEVER in those years did I ever actually expect my boater to have an open compartment for me, nor was I ever bothered that they didn't have one. Now as I'm reading this post apparently that was just me? Or are non-boaters now expecting more from their pros? With that in mind...I guess I'm now kind of ashamed to admit that in the past two years that I've had a boat, I have never had an open compartment for my co-angler. Apparently I've been pissing off my partners by not providing this? Wow, I had no idea. Like I said, I just never expected it as a non-boater, so I've just never even thought about it as a boater.

So now I've got questions...do all non-boaters expect this from their boater, and if so why exactly? Like I said, I never expected it, but I never really had a problem with keeping all of my stuff where ever they thought fit.

YES I do exspect to have some space for my gear on all my "pro's" boats. Why do I exspect this, well let me tell you why.
You can ask any of the pro's I have fished with in the BASS Opens or the FLW Series if I don't bust my *** every minute of the day I am out there with them. I am on the net like no other, My vest always stays on so he NEVER has to wait on me. If there is anything he needs me to do to make the day go smoother than I do it. I feel I am one of the best non's in the game and it is because I care about my days partner as much as I do about myself. If he is happy then my day will go by better. In return I exspect to be comfortable and have space for my gear.If I am happy and comfortable then I will be more able to help you out to my fullist potenial.
As for the open comparment, I guess I have been very rude withou knowing it. When I get with my days partner I just figure that space is mine for the day without asking or even thinking abou it. I have NEVER not had space. Thanks to all the great PROS I have been bless to fish with. GB...Jim
www.insideline.net/index.php/forum
big_limits

Post by big_limits »

All I can say is.. Pro's please look at it like this. You want your co-angler to to give a 110% when he helps you net those fish. If it's a shared weight you hope that your co sticks a donkey right? etc. etc.
Also why would you want unneeded tackle or bags sitting out on the boat. It's sometimes the little things that can make the difference in the outcome of the day. A positive vibe on board often helps. Then again some pros are just soooo good that they don't need to care about the lowly co, right? The co anglers buy tackle just like everyone else. With out people buying product where would your sponsorships come from. So in a way even the best of the best kinda need co-anglers, as well as the weekend warriors.............................................
j10b

Post by j10b »

csilva wrote:For those who do leave a compartment open for Co-Anglers I found it best to leave the compartment behind the drivers seat open. Most compartment covers have handles which can catch a Co-Anglers rod and when he /she goes to close the cover SNAP.
and you are balancing your boat better with gear too.

To the guys that feel anyone owes you anything remember it works both ways. I wouldnt be using the " I give 100% when I net" as an excuse as a Co that annoys me that you think you are owed that space. As a boater I dont need a net, if thats all you can bring to the table and for that i have to do all these things for you? Then I dont need Your net.
Peter Lloyd

Post by Peter Lloyd »

j10b wrote:
csilva wrote:For those who do leave a compartment open for Co-Anglers I found it best to leave the compartment behind the drivers seat open. Most compartment covers have handles which can catch a Co-Anglers rod and when he /she goes to close the cover SNAP.

To the guys that feel anyone owes you anything remember it works both ways. I wouldnt be using the " I give 100% when I net" as an excuse as a Co that annoys me that you think you are owed that space. As a boater I dont need a net, if thats all you can bring to the table and for that i have to do all these things for you? Then I dont need Your net.
Nice...

As a non boater, it is nice not to worry about stuff blowing out or getting in the way. I am not particularly tall, but having a tackle bag under your feet while you are bouncing around is a little annoying and uncomfortable. It just keeps things neat and out of the way. I think it makes it faster to be ready to run too. I don't think the boater owes me anything, but I do think it is just common courtesy to leave a compartment available. Having said that, I don't think it is all that much trouble to leave one compartment open. However, I never expect it.
Marty

Post by Marty »

leachman90 wrote:YES I do exspect to have some space for my gear on all my "pro's" boats. Why do I exspect this, well let me tell you why.
You can ask any of the pro's I have fished with in the BASS Opens or the FLW Series if I don't bust my *** every minute of the day I am out there with them. I am on the net like no other, My vest always stays on so he NEVER has to wait on me. If there is anything he needs me to do to make the day go smoother than I do it. I feel I am one of the best non's in the game and it is because I care about my days partner as much as I do about myself. If he is happy then my day will go by better. In return I exspect to be comfortable and have space for my gear.If I am happy and comfortable then I will be more able to help you out to my fullist potenial.
As for the open comparment, I guess I have been very rude withou knowing it. When I get with my days partner I just figure that space is mine for the day without asking or even thinking abou it. I have NEVER not had space. Thanks to all the great PROS I have been bless to fish with. GB...Jim
j10b wrote:

First and for most the boat belongs to the Pro, and Co-Angler need to come prepared for all situation. As for bring something to the table the Co-Angler keeps the playing field honest. Because if Pro’s trusted each other and would believe other Pro would not cheat then there would be no need for Co-Anglers.
kb

Post by kb »

I do it so that we can fish from a boat that is uncluttered and we don't have to dig the net out when we need it. I also do it so that my partner has a comfortable day as well. I have no problem with a guy leaving out some tackle he is using a bunch like plastics or hooks, weights, heads etc but there is no reason to have all his tackle under our feet all day if we don't need it.

It also gives them a place to leave lunch, clothes that maybe they needed in the morning but now don't. They don't blow out, get hooks caught in them etc. The ice chest thing is just easy for me to have enough water for both of us on ice. I usually only drink water or Red Bull if I am fishing so it is pretty easy and one thing we don't have to have in the boat as a extra ice chest.

I learned something with this post about leaving the opposite compartment so they don't get their rods tangled in the lid. I have seen that happen but never thought to switch sides.

The bottom line is it is just one of those little things that tends to start your morning off on a positive note and usually helps start your day off where both of you are working together.

kb
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
big_limits

Post by big_limits »

j10b wrote:

Wow j10b must be someone we all know. I take it he is on top of all AOY points races, cashes those checks regularly. He obviously was born with a boat, started from day one as a pro, and never needed anything from any one. Good luck to anyone who spends a day on the water with him, and good luck to anyone who lives with him... I'm sure that is fun!!!!!
Gary Ryon

Post by Gary Ryon »

I've fished as a "Co" for a couple of years now. Almost all of my Boaters, approximately 99.9%, have been kind enough to "save" a compartment for me, for which I can't thank them enough. It just makes the day easier.

Just my $0.02
Gary Ryon
West Valley Bassmasters