Tru-Tungsten® Mad Maxx Frogs

Otay Michael

Tru-Tungsten® Mad Maxx Frogs

Post by Otay Michael »

Pros and cons yet anyone? Have not ordered any yet, but looking to.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
fisheryan

Re: Tru-Tungsten® Mad Maxx Frogs

Post by fisheryan »

haven't tried em' but they look good but it feels like the plastic is made of tungsten too.
Fast 492

Post by Fast 492 »

Great looking frogs, okay hooks, but the frog is very hard ( rubber is to hard). It walks the dog very well and casts a mile.
The only sport besides golf that you can only blame yourself !!!

Jason Bubier-Director
NorCal90 Fishing
WildWestBassTrail, CA
530-230-8868
530-589-2601
Rick Perez

Post by Rick Perez »

I feel the same way the frog looks great but it's way to hard.

Rick...
snapitoff2002

Post by snapitoff2002 »

Anyone try boiling them yet?
Josh Palmer

"Champions keep playing till they get it right"
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Now that you mention the hard plastic, that reminded me of what I read in BasswestUSA Mag today on that frog (one fine publication if I must say, lots of inspiring articles, thanks Tony). A certain Jared Lintner on his article on frog fishing throws them (think he's sponsored by Tru-Tungsten) but says he puts them on his dashboard of his vehicle and softens them up. Now I know why he said that if it's as bad as you guys say! If you can't soften them up I think I'll skip this lure.

One of the reasons I like the new BPS frogs I got a month ago is that they are so soft you don't miss many fish. Downside is that they tear a little faster, but heck, at that price and for getting a dozen bass in the boat first it's a heck of a deal.

I do like the fact that the TTung. frog has that water exit hole in the back. I'd of thought it would have sunk faster, that's one of the reasons I put this out there. Does that part work?
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

biteme

Post by biteme »

The frogs are great for NOT taking on water. Ive boiled em to death and they are just too hard. I have two that are floater in the dirty D. After missing many fish I cut them off and tossed em as far as I could,lol. It would be a great frog if it wasnt soo fuggin hard!
bigstick

Post by bigstick »

Pro's:
Great action, easy to walk, does NOT sink, colors.
Con's: plastic is to hard, hooks aren't as sharp as Gammies, eyes fall off out of the package, price.
All that being said, this is a very good bait. I have had better success with this bait lately than my snag proofs.
If you have the right rod and bend the hooks up a little you shouldn't have a problem hooking fish.
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

I have several, but so far haven't even had a blow up on them..So I can't say they are difficult to set the hook on or anything else really positive about them, except they don't take on water and are very easy to work, straight out of the package..They do seem much harder than most other frogs though..

One question though, how do you go about bending the hooks out..I have tried just about every way I can think of and haven't been able to get the hooks to bend at all..This isn't just a problem with my Tru-Tungsten frogs, but with every brand..I guess I am just too weak to get the job done..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Hey Mac, use some wire cutters, they are stronger than the long nose needle pliars most of us have in our tackle boxes, which don't work for this job. Grab it just behind the barb, you don't want too much bend, just enough the hook point no longer rests along the back- at least for me.

I no longer bend them myself, I like the weedless characteristics of the original design more. I thought the loss of fish I had once in a while was due to lack of the hook sticking out, but I believe it's just lack of size of the fish on the lost ones. The medium and big ones (medium over a pound or two, big ones over two pounds) don't need any help in getting hooked, not for me.

Man, too bad about the hard plastic, maybe they can get that worked out. They were probably trying to make it bullet proof so it would last through 20 or 30 fish, instead of 5 to 10 like the softer types that tear where the hook comes out of the body.
Otay Michael

mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Never tried using needle nosed pliars to open up the hooks, kinda wondering about the wire cutters..Seems like you have a good chance of damaging (weakening) the hooks..Thanks for the info..I was trying to bend them farther gripping them farther down the hook, never thought about trying closer to the barb..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Never had a problem damaging the hooks, meaning I've never broken any hook during a fight. Guess if they were thinner I'd worrry about it. The nice thing about wire cutters is the leverage you get at that one spot on the hook that makes it pretty easy to bend.

Maybe someone else has a better/safer system?
Otay Michael