Trolling Motor Problems...help!

StrictlyBiznuss

Trolling Motor Problems...help!

Post by StrictlyBiznuss »

Hey Guys...
Ok, so my trolling motor has been acting stupid and I need to try and get it working properly before a tournament this weekend. For about two months now it has been having problems with randomly shutting off while I'm using it. At first it would only shut off occasionally when I turned it in certain directions. Well, it quit doing that, but then it started just shutting of randomly. No real pattern to it. Well, about two weeks ago, all of the sudden it started running at like only half the power that it normally does even on high. The batteries are fully charged. The wind barely picked up a little bit the last time I was out and I got blown all over the place. It shouldn't have had any problems normally with that slight wind. Also, it will run for the first hour or so fishing without shutting off (although at reduced power), but after that when I take my foot off the button...it won't go again unless I reach down and pull the motor up just a bit to give it a little shake...then it jolts back into action. I also noticed that on rare occasion I can hear a very slight buzzing type noise coming from the top of the motor under the casing. That's also new. What is going on? Ideas?
Alex---------<* ((( ><
aNNieNsaLTIE

Re: Trolling Motor Problems...help!

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

if it is a minnkota call jim!!! jim is the man!!! He fixed my issue in less than 15 minutes!

Steven
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

http://westernbass.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

here is my old topic.. Jim's number is here and his address.
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

The first issue sounds like what happened to mine, and I believe it is a dead spot on the armature... when it dies, just a slight turn of the prop will get it going again.

It is apparently a fairly common issue, but will take a qualified person to effect the repair. As stated, if it is a Minn Kota either contact Jim or your local repair center.

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
MT

Post by MT »

Take the top off and check the wires where they go down into the top of the shaft. The constant twisting and turning over time can cause wear or damage to them causing some weird things to happen. Also take it off the boat and turn it upside down and see if any water comes out. If it does you might have a bad seal somewhere. Good luck.
minnkotaman

Post by minnkotaman »

thanks for all the kind words guys.
but this sounds like he has a couple of problems.
my first guess is that he has bad cell in 1 of the
batteries.
Also, it will run for the first hour or so fishing without shutting off (although at reduced power).
the only way to tell is to get it on an independant power supply.
StrictlyBiznuss

Post by StrictlyBiznuss »

Thanks guys...a couple things though. First, I have a Motor Guide, not a Minnkota. Also, I am originally from the bay area, but I live in Texas now...so it may be a little difficult for me to go see Jim. 8) Thanks though.

minnkotaman...I'm assuming you must be Jim. I've got some questions for you. I'll send you a PM. Thanks!
Alex---------<* ((( ><