Bay area to Clearlake

bassrockstar

Bay area to Clearlake

Post by bassrockstar »

Anybody drive the route over the hill from napa to the town of clearlake on CA29? I have always come in from the other direction to Clearlake Oaks and Clearlake and was wondering how that road is with a boat in tow. If anyone could let me know if you have done it with a boat or if its too curvy thatd be awesome. Thanks
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Re: Bay area to Clearlake

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

it's not bad,, a little more curvy than going 20 or 16.... but nowhere near as bad as 175
kopper_bass

Post by kopper_bass »

yeah, i do it all the time. even do it with the RV and boat in tow.
I dont like it as much in the dark early morning, but its not bad. The trick is to just drop your tranny into lower gear and go downhill slow. if you use your brakes, your gonna burn 'em up fast on that hill - both directions. take your time and its fine. plenty of passing lanes for cars to get by you.

The only time i go up Hwy 5 and come in the other way is when i know that htere might be snow. it does snow up there on the hill and CalTran will stop traffic and require chains. crazy to put chains on a boat....... go figure.

Kopper
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
corn griffin

Post by corn griffin »

Cobb Mountain sux, i usually go around it by taking Sage Canyon to Pope valley to 29. a little longer but way less curves and grade. less stress on the truck. not sure if this link will work or not. give it a try:

<http://www.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s ... 0&dirflg=d>
homer77

Post by homer77 »

You have the mountian wrong Corn. St. Helena is highway 29. Cobb Mt. is 175 from Middletown to the Kelseyville area. Steeper and curvier than St. Helena. Be best to stay on 29 to Lower Lake.
b2customrods

Post by b2customrods »

I drive 175 into Clear Lake when I go there. I dont mind the curves but then again I used to drive a 70ft rig around the country so pulling a 21ft boat is cake on 175.
flipit

Post by flipit »

I prefer to take Conn Dam turn off from Silverado Trail and go through Pope Valley. Its windy but much less of a hill and way less traffic. Time seems to be about the same.
Fishing should be fun.
WackySenko

Post by WackySenko »

I switched to 80 to 33(Columbus Parkway), to 37W to 29N to 53 because my wife got car sick the other way. Now it is the only way I go, even without her. Check it out on Yahoo - Maps.