Drop Shot'in with Briad

birdi23nls

Drop Shot'in with Briad

Post by birdi23nls »

I just decided to change line and fish with briad on my drop shot rod, however I have a couple of questions. How long should my florocarbon leader be? Are there any new issues that my arise with braided line on a spinning reel vs floro?

thanks

JAred
Jared
e-mail: Birdi23nls@aol.com

www.mayhemlures.com
acm95301

Re: Drop Shot'in with Briad

Post by acm95301 »

I use braid main line and FC leader. I match line diameters, and make the leader about 7 to 14 Ft long. It doesn't need to be that long, but when you break off frequently trying to tie the double uni and making the leader eat time.

In my opinion braid hangs up more on the tip of the rod and also pays out too much in wind. But its castability and senitivity rock. The deeper you go the more advantage you will get. Line durability is also an advantage.
2009 Bass tracker 175 TXW 60 hp
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
Power Drive V2 70lb 24v Minnkota trolling Motor.
adman

Post by adman »

I might also suggest you try the Albright knot. I switched from the uni to it because it seems smaller and goes thru the guides a bit better. It is no harder to tie. I use Gamma Touch as the top shot and the combination is scary sensitive. The braid flouro combo is without doubt THE best-you will be amazed.
texas john

Post by texas john »

Just try using a small spo swivel. I use this with braid and then tie on abour 2 1/2 feet or so of Floro and it is great. Reduces line twist and still gives you the super feel of braid and the invisability of floro without having to tie uni's or any other additional knots.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/jtrtexca/usmcsealani.gif[/img]
www.johnrector.yolasite.com
www.pepperjigs.com
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

texas john wrote:Just try using a small spo swivel. I use this with braid and then tie on abour 2 1/2 feet or so of Floro and it is great. Reduces line twist and still gives you the super feel of braid and the invisability of floro without having to tie uni's or any other additional knots.
+1 Been using the Spro swivel for two years now. Going on three. Some of my reels are just getting to the point where I need to change the braid mainline. The uni or whatever you want to tie is a PIA and unnecessary. No connection knot is going to go through the guides as smooth as straight braid. I also would suggest a rod with titanium recoils.
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

Another vote for the Spro swivels. Just put on enough FC so the swivel is near the rid tip when you stow the dropshot weight. It's about 6' on my rod.

NoCAL
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

NoCAL wrote:Another vote for the Spro swivels. Just put on enough FC so the swivel is near the rid tip when you stow the dropshot weight. It's about 6' on my rod.

NoCAL
How are you casting with 6' of line out?
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

Tin Can wrote:
NoCAL wrote:Another vote for the Spro swivels. Just put on enough FC so the swivel is near the rid tip when you stow the dropshot weight. It's about 6' on my rod.

NoCAL
How are you casting with 6' of line out?
You don't need 6 feet. I use around three feet. Put the longest piece you are comfortable casting as it can be cut a re-tied a couple of times. If you get the smallest Spro it is so light that it does not affect the bait action. You want the one that is rated for 35 pounds. It is VERY small.

This is the way to make the attachment. First tie the swivel to your Flouro with a Palomar. Then tie your swivel/Flouro to the braid with a Palomar. Then tie on your hook with a Palomar. When you use this sequence you will use the same knot every time. It will also make you freshen the knot at the braid every time you change the leader. At first I just left the braid/swivel connection alone and eventually it failed.
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

Thanks Robert.

I've been wanting to go braid to FC for a while now, but just haven't made the switch yet. I was always worried about fish seeing the line with braid. Does this concern you guys at all? I don't fish a whole lot of gin clear water so I guess it's not something I should be worried about. Or does it even matter in clear water?

What brand and lbs test braid do you guys like for DS'ing? I've got my Flouro brand figured out, but braid not so much. I'm going to be switching 3 set-ups to braid. One topwater straight braid, one flipping/pitching with straight braid and one finess rig braid to FC.
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

I have been using the 10 pound PowerPro but could be swayed by some of the new offerings from Japan. I like a round smooth braid and Fireline is not it. Experiment. That was how I figured out the length was not critical. It may not be your best method.
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

I don't really cast it. Just kinda pitch it or drop it straight down. I'm using 8 lb Power Pro with 6 lb Sniper FC.

NoCAL
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

NoCAL wrote:I don't really cast it. Just kinda pitch it or drop it straight down. I'm using 8 lb Power Pro with 6 lb Sniper FC.

NoCAL
Makes sense then. That wouldn't work for me though I cast a DS more than I fish is vertically.
JohnnyG1

Post by JohnnyG1 »

Has anyone tried this kind of swivel yet InvisaSwivel it made from fluorocarbon here is the site I found.

http://www.aquateko.com/