Best price out there on Goodyear Marathon tires

spotfin

Best price out there on Goodyear Marathon tires

Post by spotfin »

I am thinking of replacing my 4 Goodyear Radial Marathon trailer tires, size ST215/75R-14C. I bought one to replace my spare, on March 23, 2010 from Americal's Tire Company in Antioch, CA. Here's the breakdown on price:

Tire 113.00
Environmental fee 1.75
Waste Tire Disposal 1.00
Installation and Valves, incl lifetime spin, repairs 15.00
Tax: 10.55

Total: 141.30

Sounds outrageous for one tire!!! If anyone knows of a place to get them cheaper in the SF Bay Area, please let me know. Sacramento is too far. Thanks.
offduty

Re: Best price out there on Goodyear Marathon tires

Post by offduty »

Call one store and get a price and then call another and let them know the price you were given elsewhere and ask them if they can beat it. I did this and they just kept beating the previous price. After talking to half a dozen dealers I got a good price. I got 5 Marathon's for less than $500.00 and they had to drive to go get them.

They all want your business just make them compete for your business and you will get a better price. Pay no attention to the advertised price just play them against each other or you pay what they want and get no deal. Personally I never believe the old "I don't have much mark up line".
If that was true they would not be in business in the first place.

Rich
Last edited by offduty on Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

I paid 115 a tire plus all that and a little more at Goodyear in Folsom. I looked everywere for a better deal. I think your quote is about the best your going to find.
LL
Rick L.

Post by Rick L. »

To bad your up north. Here in so. cal. shadow trailors in Los Alamitos has a steel belt radial for about $85 out the door. I have replaced my marathons cuz they are JUNK!! Marathons SUCK!!!!! They are way over rated. If I had any of them under inflated they would peel like a banana. Haven't had a problem with my new tires in over 2 years. Goodyear blows!!!
Introduce the next generation to fishing.
Take a kid, ANY kid fishing, make the difference.
E man

Post by E man »

Rick L. wrote:To bad your up north. Here in so. cal. shadow trailors in Los Alamitos has a steel belt radial for about $85 out the door. I have replaced my marathons cuz they are JUNK!! Marathons SUCK!!!!! They are way over rated. If I had any of them under inflated they would peel like a banana. Haven't had a problem with my new tires in over 2 years. Goodyear blows!!!
What brand of tire did you end up getting?
Rick L.

Post by Rick L. »

I have a 99 Ranger trail trailor 4 tire as I mentioned. The tires are
ST 205 75R 14 the name only says ST Radial/Supertrail. Fritz Stanly at Shadow trailors can be reached at 714-995-4353. I have no affiliation or sponsorship with them. I'm only passing this along for those that are looking for a great trailor tire. Don't want to offend any sponsors of this site.
Introduce the next generation to fishing.
Take a kid, ANY kid fishing, make the difference.
eagle123777

Post by eagle123777 »

next time i need tires i am going to do a search on rv.net and see whatt the 5th wheelers are using...might give that a shot to get other recommendations....jack
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Tireack.com
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

My Marathons peeled also. They are junk. My Trail America tires on my new trailer have been much better and they are cheaper. They can be a little tough to find.
biteme

Post by biteme »

This is in Roseville and figured it might help someone.
Goodyear Marathon
Environmental fee included
Waste Tire Disposal included
Installation and Valves, incl lifetime spin, repairs included
tax not included

Total: 105.00
Bassimus

Post by Bassimus »

I too have had a horrible experience with the Goodyear Marathon Tires. Three blowouts with two of them costing me plenty of damage. It gets expensive. I have a single axle trailer and there isn't much time to get to the shoulder of the road before the tires start to disintegrate with what's left of the belt slamming into your electrical wiring and fender and tearing it apart. In each case, the Marathons just unraveled and the flats were not caused by punctures!!
Like Rick L., I contacted Shadow Trailers and had them replace all three Marathons for the Super Trail ST 215 75 R 14. I'll never buy Goodyear again. You can check Shadow Trailer's website and see the rating load and capacity of the tires your interested in buying. It's worth looking into. Nothing to gain here, just a customer stating it like it is.
Good Luck on your purchase. 8)
Live to fish another day!
Clean and Dry!
keithcant

Post by keithcant »

I have gone through about 20 -24 Marathons on three boats over last several years. I survived the bad batch fortunately and understand the new Marathon is not prone to any problems.

As long as you've got a decent price for mounting---You generally cannot beat TIRERACK.COM. even w/ shipping to front door usually less than $400.
"The Gods do not deduct from man's alloted span the hours spent in fishing"--
Proverb Ancient Babylonia.
calfisher71

Post by calfisher71 »

Gill Tire Stockton 209 -472-9600 Sam Owner
supports anglers match tire rack in most cases and you get service.

Gill has sponsored anglers and events for over 5 years.

Nash chevron Angels Camp wont be cheap but will know whats working well and not falling apart. Services many mother lode anglers.

Goodyears would be 105-110 ea installed at Gills
options as low as $75 ea installed at Gills

Goodyears did have bad batches a few years, they have changed and solved the issues.

I had them last 6 years no problem, and I have had them last 2 years and seperate.

Rule of thumb 2-3 years max take them off!

many independant tire dealers support youth sports and give back to our communities thats where I buy, I want the service after the sale!

keep in mind most tire stores will charge you extra for mounting on tires from Tire Rack,and the dealer wont service or warranty those tires since they did not sell them to you.

Trailer tires dont need balancing you should only be charged for mount and dismount, along with other fees.

Good luck
Fishing creates memories for a life time.
www.rbbassfishing.net
#RBASS
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

For what its worth, I just got back from the local Newark Goodyear shop on Jarvis with 4 - 205/75R 14C Marathons. Total out the door price was $486.25. When I called he said it looked like they were on sale for $89.95/ tire. The quote without tax was $439.52. The only thing not included in the price was the $7 state tire fee ( or what I refer to as an additional tax on top of the 9.75% we already pay.)

Seemed like a reasonable price for 1/2 mile from the house. Most of the others were in the $530-$570 range. They can get them from the warehouse in an hour during the week.

Scott
Team Efusjon

Post by Team Efusjon »

Marathons have been good to me. Never a problem except for they were 6 1/2 years old and cracking from age. Tread was still very good. About a month or so ago, I bought a new set of 4 from a local garage/GoodYear dealer. $89 per tire. With all the fees, tax and balancing came out to around $460.
www.myefusjon.com/changeyourlife