Any thoughts on an oil leak

WackySenko

Any thoughts on an oil leak

Post by WackySenko »

I have a 1987 Yamaha Pro V 150. It runs great but I have noticed an oil leak while sitting at the house that appears to be worse on hot days. I disconnect the fuel line after each outing, so I know that is something in under the cowling. I am looking at replacing all the fuel lines due to age. Hopefully that solves the problem. Anyother thoughts?

Thank you
rickd

Re: Any thoughts on an oil leak

Post by rickd »

Make sure you have it looked at before you go out next.

Could be the oil injector lines are getting old and cracking, I would send it to the dealer to get the lines checked out. Take a look at the lines yourself, just follow the oil mess and you'll find whats up.

Happened to my first motor, it went boom!
drilltrash

Post by drilltrash »

i agree with rick. i would start by having all the lines replaced. they small poly tubes or plastic tubes your oil is going through might be cracked. i just got a boat that had sat for 5 years and after i ran it, it started leaking oil. i had someone look at it and it turned out the lines were cracked in a few place, and they werent obvious either... i would say thats a start and fairly cheep.
dustin
BuckSnort

Post by BuckSnort »

My uncle just bought a used boat and is having the same kind of problem...Are the lines cheap and can they be replaced yourself?
ScottyJ

Post by ScottyJ »

U should be able to follow the leak up and see where its coming from. Is there a small oil reservoir inside? Id try and trace the leak back to the source before replacing all the hoses and what not.
"Jig fish are big fish"
civicrr

Post by civicrr »

While you are replacing line, you should check out the fuel lines too. The ethanol is just tearing them up. Even the supposed good lines from 2009 weren't holding up. The lines are breaking down inside.

You want to get the new for 2010 'EPA Compliant' fuel lines. The Mercury brand ones are light gray with blue writing.
bump

Post by bump »

if your motor has a oil reservoir under the cowling.Check the cap. Have a friend that had the same type issue and it turned out to be the oil reservoir cap. good luck on that
When I grow up I want to be just like buckbass
Guy Williams

Post by Guy Williams »

bump wrote:if your motor has a oil reservoir under the cowling.Check the cap. Have a friend that had the same type issue and it turned out to be the oil reservoir cap. good luck on that
That's what I was thinking too. I had this happen to me. East fix with new cap, just unplug the wires and take cap off and replace with new cap and plug wires back in. Before you use your boat again take the cowling off and wash the engine off and when you get to the lake again take the cowling off before staring the engine and look for the leak after you start it up.
Guy Williams
You know it's going to hell when the best rapper out there is white and the best golfer is black.
Charles Barkley
WackySenko

Post by WackySenko »

Thank You for all the suggestions. I will start by ordering a new cap for the reservoir and see if that works. After replacing the cap I can check if the leak continues, because it leaks at my house when the engine is not running. THANK YOU ALL
Riplip

Post by Riplip »

Do you have hydraulic steering? Could be leaking seals or bleeders as well.
If you always do what you did, you will always get what you got!

www.californiaresrvoirlures.com