Situation at Lake Castaic

bassman1975

Situation at Lake Castaic

Post by bassman1975 »

Today I went out to Lake Castaic. Now I have been on this lake MANY times and have never had this problem and want to know if anyone else has had this problem. With that said I am not by anyway going after any life guard for this they are doing there job and keeping myself and others safe. This is what happened I was the second boat on the lake and about the 3 or 4 to start heading out. I get to the buoy line and open throttle like I have dozens of times head out to a spot and my buddy goes "hay the life guard boat has his lights on and is coming up on us" so I slow down turn the boat around and he asked me and I quote "can you turn your engine off and can I see your drivers license and registration" so I hand it to him and he asked me what the speed limit is and I said 40 and 5 in the coves and he says "it's 35 and you must of been doing at least 50" he asked me to see all the normal safety equipment and told me to slow it down or he's going to issue me a citation. I said no problem and apologized for not knowing the rules even when they give a piece of paper with the rules. Now the whole time he's asking me 20 questions in my head I don't know how fast I was going and if I didn't know he sure as hell has no idea because he has no radar gun and you can't really judge boat speed in a wind blown lake. Second how can he issue me a citation without being a sworn officer. Now I know he could kick me off the lake at the most but in California an officer must know how fast your traveling and must be a sworn office. Again I am not here to trash talk him but his boat, shorts and jacket all said Life Guard not LA county Sheriff. And finally if I was going that fast and most likely was why then with the 30 or so water skiers out who no doubt was well over 35 mph and most came within 25 feet of me fishing and really jeopardizing peoples safety are these life guards not after them because after I saw him I never saw another life guard boat. Thanks again for you response and again not tring to make a bad name for the life guards a Castaic but really all they can do is tell me to get off the lake.
ash
SpeedBump

Re: Situation at Lake Castaic

Post by ash »

Before I moved to NorCal the sherrif and lifeguard boats use to sit there at the doc and cite people at blast off leaving the ramp. There has always been a double standard of jet skiers vs bassboats there.

Oh yeah when I left the speed limit was 35- which is porpising on plane for most bass boats.
Chris N

Post by Chris N »

If you're the guy that got lit up charging from the direction of the fish arm to the ski arm around 6:30 or so, you did provide entertainment as John Law flipped on the lights and chased after you.. They're trying to gain some revenue if you push over 35 I guess- that said, you blew through a speed trap and they were waiting for you, slow down next time I guess? :D
Last edited by Chris N on Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hippie

Post by hippie »

not as bad as 25 at DVL thats barely on plane getting drilled by every little ripple.
Ray L.

Post by Ray L. »

An fyi for you. They do have a radar gun. I have seen it many times at tournament morning launch. The will radar gun every boat and tell me if anyone is going over the speed limit of 35 not 40.
Also yes they can give a ticket on the lake and have done so many times to non angling boats and pwc as well.
Ray L.
Sponsors:
www.legendbassboats.com
www.waderods.com
www.allengmc.com
www.gambler-bang.com
orange county circuit breakers

Five alive is good for me
sgvangler

Post by sgvangler »

You think that's good, try going to the Pudd. That's where the flunkies from Castaic lifeguard academy are stationed. Gotta love California rules and regs! :lol: I heard at cachuma you cannot have anyone sitting in the boat when you pull out of the water. I like that one too. Or how about at Silverwood, I think macinckirk was told he was cutting corners to close??????? The 25MPH at DVL probably takes the cake though..... :lol: I'll be at Havasu this weekend where the LEO's just wave when you cruise by at 70+ and there is no such thing as "waiting in line to launch." 8)

ahhhh, that felt good. I'm off my soapbox now. :lol:
Duckman

Post by Duckman »

Why do they have rules like this at some lakes and not others? 35 mph that sounds stupid come on people you can be very dangerous at much less speed than that. It is all about revenue for the county. They should limit the HP then it they have a speed limit like that.
CN

Post by CN »

Most of the Lakes I go to there are signs that say no people allowed in the boat while under tow.

It just depends on who pull's up to you. I've had times where they come up and you show them everything from life jackets to horn while Jet Skies run around us and I have had them tow me.

I'm glad there out there.
DL

Post by DL »

bassman1975 wrote:Today I went out to Lake Castaic. Now I have been on this lake MANY times and have never had this problem and want to know if anyone else has had this problem. With that said I am not by anyway going after any life guard for this they are doing there job and keeping myself and others safe. This is what happened I was the second boat on the lake and about the 3 or 4 to start heading out. I get to the buoy line and open throttle like I have dozens of times head out to a spot and my buddy goes "hay the life guard boat has his lights on and is coming up on us" so I slow down turn the boat around and he asked me and I quote "can you turn your engine off and can I see your drivers license and registration" so I hand it to him and he asked me what the speed limit is and I said 40 and 5 in the coves and he says "it's 35 and you must of been doing at least 50" he asked me to see all the normal safety equipment and told me to slow it down or he's going to issue me a citation. I said no problem and apologized for not knowing the rules even when they give a piece of paper with the rules. Now the whole time he's asking me 20 questions in my head I don't know how fast I was going and if I didn't know he sure as hell has no idea because he has no radar gun and you can't really judge boat speed in a wind blown lake. Second how can he issue me a citation without being a sworn officer. Now I know he could kick me off the lake at the most but in California an officer must know how fast your traveling and must be a sworn office. Again I am not here to trash talk him but his boat, shorts and jacket all said Life Guard not LA county Sheriff. And finally if I was going that fast and most likely was why then with the 30 or so water skiers out who no doubt was well over 35 mph and most came within 25 feet of me fishing and really jeopardizing peoples safety are these life guards not after them because after I saw him I never saw another life guard boat. Thanks again for you response and again not tring to make a bad name for the life guards a Castaic but really all they can do is tell me to get off the lake.
Pay the citation. You admitted fault and said you were going 50. I know you are not badmouthing the lifegaurds, but you were speeding. It is no secret LEO's across the country have a heightened awareness of people speeding etc. Put in your book of lessons learned and move forward..
"Feel the steel"
DL

Post by DL »

Duckman wrote:Why do they have rules like this at some lakes and not others? 35 mph that sounds stupid come on people you can be very dangerous at much less speed than that. It is all about revenue for the county. They should limit the HP then it they have a speed limit like that.
Its the same as speed limits on the freeway and around town. The government agency in charge has deemed a safe speed and set the ground rules.

We play by their rules, or we don't play...
"Feel the steel"
GKramer

Post by GKramer »

I know it's a little off point of this matter (Castaic lifeguards have long had this reputation, BTW) but at my lake there is marked zone down the center that has signs saying "speed limit 150 mph." I would still recommend you drive carefully, though. :wink:

gk
www.kramergonefishing.com
kane-o

Post by kane-o »

i was the first boat out today, and yes they can and will ticket you for speeding. and yes the have radar....it depends whos working... i know john the senior guard is really cool but wont tolorate people doing dumb things... and its all about the revenue. the sheriffs have been writing tickets as well... but your right, i think they need to spend more time watching the skiers coming too close, driving the wrong way, and cutting boats off... i got harassed earlier this year back in dry gulch, just before the spawn... they had they bouy line at the entrance of the cove, but not secured across, keeping people out... i was fishing the very back and they rolled up on me, saw i had an annual pass, asked why i was fishing in a closed off area ? i said if the line was down i assumed you have not closed it yet.... not much they could say or do, they asked me to leave and as i left the followed me out and put the bouy line across the cove... and i got on a good striper and l.m.b. topwater bite today too :wink:
bassman1975

Post by bassman1975 »

I hear everything everyone is saying and the guy was nice as hell and did not site me but come on the skiers went alot faster then I was going. I quess when you have nothing better to do you pull over boats. Anyway enough said I know to slow it down at this lake. Now with DVL I have gone fast at that lake to with no problem but will now watch the speed. And again I know he's just making sure everyone is safe but I have never had this problem on this lake in the years I have fished here. Oh well
bassman1975

Post by bassman1975 »

Chris N yep that was me but again I have done for years....never a problem but hay when the county is billions of dollars in debt this is what they like to do but hay he's just doing his job.
Topwater Terry

It has nothing to do with the country being

Post by Topwater Terry »

billions of dollars in debt, that is prolly the last thing the lifeguards have on their mind. They are just out there doing their job. Like DL said, you did admit fault. They keep Castaic a safe and pleasant experience for the most part. If they were not out there, it would just become Havasu on the weekend, sure, the scenery might be nice, but the drunk morons not paying attention, going like crazy in their ski boats aint too neat...
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Sounds like to me you brought the attention on yourself and the lifeguards were mostly pissed off that they had to leave there BS session and go after you, It's a problem when people come up here and have disregard for the rules that blows it for everyone who tries to follow them, Fisherman, Wake boarders, rental boats, whatever.
The enforcement of lake rules is totally selective enforcement, and I know anyone who has been to the lake could fill a page on the crap they've seen.
I rather to here about your comments on how trashed the lake is from the inconsiderate bastards that liter the lake, not just the shoreline slobs, but all of them, to the guys throwing there cig butts in the water, I was fishing a ways back from a Bass boat and usually you can tell what there fishing by the plastic worms in the water, alls these guys were doing was smoking there brains out and tossing there butts in the water... dirtbags...
But back to the lake patrol, It was the go fast crowded couple few years back that crashed and killed 3 or 4 guys and the owners old lady tried to sue the country over the life knowingly allowing speeding on the lake that got all the BS started.
So now be glad you didn't get a ticket, but they have you in there data base and next time, you'll get a ticket and asked not to come back.
And I'm not singling you out friend, it just you brought it up and everyone knows the place is what it is...
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

bassman1975 wrote:I hear everything everyone is saying and the guy was nice as hell and did not site me but come on the skiers went alot faster then I was going.
C'mon - you're kidding, right??? You said yourself you were "about the 3 or 4 to start heading out", so there couldn't have been skiers and such out on the lake when you launched... get real and own up dude!

The main lake is posted at 35 MPH, and if you're going over that you are subjecting yourself to a citation, period. It's guys like you that make it tough on everybody else.

And nice that you admit you were also speeding on DVL... another reason that the officers crack down on anyone going over the 25MPH POSTED speed limit there.

Man up dude, pay the fine, and slow your *** down when there are posted limits.

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Or do what I did and move to the Delta where you can run as far as fast at any time as you wish (and can handle)! :wink:

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
Duckman

Post by Duckman »

Delta rules!!! you guys down south should just get a valco and you won't have to worry about going too fast
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

You got off easy. I was on Castaic Lake the day after New Years about five years ago. There was less than half a dozen boats on the water in the the middle of the afternoon. I was rounding the corner from the fish arm heading to slalom cove. I was doing about sixty and once I got to the cove I took it off plane to go past the ropes at the mouth of the cove. I idled back a few yards and here comes the sheriff. He was coming from the North ramp and was never even in view. He claimed he hit me with the radar gun from over a mile away at 50 mph. I knew I was going faster. So, I didn't ask to see his radar gun. There was even a boat within a mile of me. I got a $90 ticket, but he said it had nothing to do with my driving record.
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

Dude,

I will say they are always tougher in the summer and in general are really cracking down on everyone, especially during the launch. Also, as already mentioned, they have radar, they write tickets AND they go on your record just like a speeding ticket does in a car. Consider yourself lucky.

BTW, how do you know your speed? Did you have your gps running or your speedo? As you probably well know, the speedo is not very accurate.

Castaic is managed by the LA County Parks dept and LA County Sheriff. Each of our lakes have different governing bodies regarding regulations. Pyramid is the LA County Sheriff. For you guys up north, our lakes are so much smaller with so many more goof balls, big brother has to keep everyone in line! Watching some of these people load their boats on to their trailers is an event within itself :) AND it is free!

Ever since the major accident happened several years ago, they have watched us all like a hawk. BTW, my neighbor knows the wife who filed that lawsuit when her husband and buddy was killed because they were speeding without good seats to boot. Amazing story within itself. Bottomline, it cost US all when she won the lawsuit!

So, stay at 35 and be careful and aware. They are there to keep us all safe.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
lowerider

Post by lowerider »

"Man up dude, pay the fine, and slow your *** down when there are posted limits."
Try reading the post next time. He wasnt given a citation. So there is no fine to pay.
buddy brown

Post by buddy brown »

Let em try to write me a ticket... they will never catch me :lol: actually the lifeguards at Castaic are cool compared to others. Just go slow out of the gate thats what I do. Why is it they always crack down on the fisherman when every meathead in an overpowered speed boat is doing 50-60 easily probably drunk and smoking the ole chron chron. Bass fishing is not a crime :lol:
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

buddy brown wrote:Let em try to write me a ticket... they will never catch me :lol: actually the lifeguards at Castaic are cool compared to others. Just go slow out of the gate thats what I do. Why is it they always crack down on the fisherman when every meathead in an overpowered speed boat is doing 50-60 easily probably drunk and smoking the ole chron chron. Bass fishing is not a crime :lol:
Buddy Brown, those guys smokin the Chron Chron all have medicinal cards, due to Glaucoma or back pains.... Schmokin Grass, Fishin fo Bass....both should not be a crime :lol:
buddy brown

Post by buddy brown »

I prefer fishing grass and schmokin bass. I like peter tosh too and the infamous reverend buddy green :lol:
bassman1975

Post by bassman1975 »

WOW lowerider seems like you did not read the other replies from me I did own up to it. I have nothing against them they are doing there job and protecting me and others. But hay lowerider no one is perfect in your perfect world. I now know the speed limit and will be looking out for that at all the lakes I fished. Anyway you all have a great day and fish hard
Bass Pro Shopper

Post by Bass Pro Shopper »

The lifeguards and/or lake police boat should just sit inside the larger coves watch for all the pleasure boaters (and yes, sometimes bass boats) that run down them at speed or well over 5 mph and making large wakes. I've been in Old SH many times when these guys blow through like that. You tell them or motion to them to slow it down, and they just look at you and continue. If the authorities just hang and wait for that kind of stuff, they'd make lots of money for the county!
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's more serious than that!
lowerider

Post by lowerider »

The "man up and pay your fine" was a quote from Tunaman.
I was telling him that according to the story you did not recieve a ticket.
I was actually clarifying your story not bashing you.
leachman90

Post by leachman90 »

tunaman wrote:
bassman1975 wrote:I hear everything everyone is saying and the guy was nice as hell and did not site me but come on the skiers went alot faster then I was going.
C'mon - you're kidding, right??? You said yourself you were "about the 3 or 4 to start heading out", so there couldn't have been skiers and such out on the lake when you launched... get real and own up dude!

The main lake is posted at 35 MPH, and if you're going over that you are subjecting yourself to a citation, period. It's guys like you that make it tough on everybody else.

And nice that you admit you were also speeding on DVL... another reason that the officers crack down on anyone going over the 25MPH POSTED speed limit there.

Man up dude, pay the fine, and slow your *** down when there are posted limits.

Roger

I believe he meant he saw skiers throughout the day going much faster than he was in the morning, bu you probably knew that. He was talking about the skiers being out there after he was already fishing.
www.insideline.net/index.php/forum
N.A.R

Post by N.A.R »

lowerider wrote:"Man up dude, pay the fine, and slow your *** down when there are posted limits."
Try reading the post next time. He wasnt given a citation. So there is no fine to pay.
LoL I read that also.... I was thinking are half these people even reading the og post?
keithcant

Post by keithcant »

Many of the "lifeguards" @ Castaic ARE Law Enforcement...I've probably seen 1000+ of their cases over the years.

They do have Radar. But,if they are going the 35 MPH--not too hard to estimate 5 MPH or 10 MPH.....or 20 MPH faster of another boat.
"The Gods do not deduct from man's alloted span the hours spent in fishing"--
Proverb Ancient Babylonia.