Orders to Travis AFB!

afchris

Orders to Travis AFB!

Post by afchris »

Hey all!

Just found out I'll be headed to Travis AFB for my first assignment as a MX officer. I spent 4 years as an enlisted troop out there but really never fished. I know the area fairly well and plan on staying in Vacaville.

I've been fishing pretty hard since I separated and started college at Southern Illinois Univ Carbondale. I joined our college bass team my first semester and learned a ton! Great way to shorten the learning curve. I'm a multi-species angler and a musky fanatic. I know...no musky in Cali so I'll just have to focus on targeting bass.

I'd figure I'd pick your minds on what lakes in the area I should spend some time on. Obviously the fishing timeline is going to be changing. How early in the year do you guys get after it? Hopefully it’s not too tough of a transition. Any advice would be great. Thanks again, looking forward to hitting the waters and slaying some N. California bass!!!

Chris
Air Force Chris

My good friend chasing his dream....
[u]http://teampartak.webs.com/[/u]
Mr Gambler

Re: Orders to Travis AFB!

Post by Mr Gambler »

First thing thank you for your service for our country 8) As far as fishing you will be right in the middle of some of the best bass fishing in the U.S. of A., plus stripers, salmon and sturgeon fishing :D You will have a blast once you learn the area :wink:
Mike Matthews, U.S.N. 1963-67
Fish hard, sleep good at night.
ScottyJ

Post by ScottyJ »

Hey chris. Ull be real close to lake berryessa and about an hour from the delta. Also 1 1/2 to 2 hours from sonoma and 2hours or so from clearlake. Overall ur in a decent area to hit all the good stuff. You have year round bassin' here since our winters are rather mild. Goood luck!

Scott
"Jig fish are big fish"
Marty

Post by Marty »

afchris wrote:How early in the year do you guys get after it?
Chris there is no start or finish, it is yearlong duty to fish for Bass here in California. As for being in the center of things - Vacaville is almost in the middle of the action. As stated by others you have the Delta, Clear Lake and Berryessa but there is also Folsom Lake and Oroville that will be easy to get too. Both are a lot of fun to fish and you can have 50 fish (smallest) days on both. The only problem living in Vacaville is Hy-80! By fishing Delta and Berryessa you will stay off Hy-80 and both are about the same distance give or take a few miles.
afchris

Post by afchris »

Thanks for the 411 Guys!

I'm looking forward to the challenge. Think I'm gunna tackle Berryessa first. I think the real challenge is going to be the Delta and Clear Lake. Looks like they can be a tough cookie to crack, but both hold some real toads! Never fished tides before so I'll def be heading out with someone before I hit it solo.

Whats up with the tounaments out there, I noticed no BFL? Is there a prefered league?

Chris
Air Force Chris

rmbumpus

Post by rmbumpus »

Check out American Bass. We call it ABA. americanbass.com. My E mail is rmbumpus@hotmail.com. ABA usually starts in Jan.
cbwiii

Post by cbwiii »

Check out the Fairfield Suisun Bass Reapers (FairfieldSuisunBassReapers.Com) when you get here.
This club will get you going on Berry, the Delta and Clear Lake.
Flippinjigs

Post by Flippinjigs »

Congradulations on your new assignment. Being prior enlisted hopefully you will not let your newly earned rank go to your head (as many do). Those aircraft maintenance troops work hard, long hours, and don't have a 9 to 5 office job. Take care of them first and they will take care of you.
I use to be the a Aircraft Maintenance Production Superintendent (9 level) on the flightline at Travis. Over 21 years active duty and a Vietnam/Gulf vet. Yes! I trained several butter bars lieutenants that rode around with me to learned the ropes of aircraft maintenance. And the funny thing is, two weeks later they ended up on my shift doing APR reviews and paper work for the Maintenance Officer (Captain). I really commend you for taking a MX position. Deployments, Deployments. been there done that. Thank You for manning up to serve our country.

I would also recommend the Fairfield Suisun Bass Reapers a long well established local Bass Club. If interested check the link for meeting time and location: www.bassreapers.com

Good Luck
&
Good Fishin
If you do nothing expect nothing!
Marc

Post by Marc »

10 hr drive north on I-5 and you can be musky fishing for trophy Tiger Musky in Washington (Mayfield Lake and others).

ciao,
Marc
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
afchris

Post by afchris »

Did someone say musky??? haha Don't even get me started.

Flippin...Used to be a Crew Chief, a FCC the later part of my enlistment :D . Wrenched on C-5's and C-17's. I'll be sure to take care of the troops. Main priority for a while is just going to be shutting my mouth and learning! Not looking fwd to all the paperwork though, but I guess it comes with the territory.

Thanks for the info about the clubs!

Chris
Air Force Chris