Light Tackle Rock Fishing

edbass

Light Tackle Rock Fishing

Post by edbass »

Any suggestions on where to go and what boat to charter to go light tackle rock fishing somewhere around the bay area? My son and father-in-law are looking to get out in the next few weeks.

Thanks
Ed
Tin Can

Re: Light Tackle Rock Fishing

Post by Tin Can »

I don't know where exactly you are but I did a trip on the Velocity out of Santa Cruz up to Ano Nuevo Island and had easy limits. I don't know how light you want to go there, but we fished in the 60-150' of water range. You can always go the skiff route and rent one of the boats off the Santa Cruz or Capitola wharf. You should be able to fish the local reefs for limits too. Shrimp fly rigs tipped with squid is the easy way. Toss fish traps, big hammers, Scampi, grubs or bars for the funner approach.
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

edbass wrote:Any suggestions on where to go and what boat to charter to go light tackle rock fishing somewhere around the bay area? My son and father-in-law are looking to get out in the next few weeks.
I've always had great trips on the Tigerfish out of Half Moon Bay. And if by light tackle you mean throwing swimbaits and jigs with bass rods/flippin' sticks, you're right on...
edbass

Post by edbass »

Yes that's what I'm talking about when I say light tackle. Flippin sticks and water that isn't 200 feet deep. I will check out the Tigerfish. The queen of hearts out of half moon bay also looked good.
set'em good

Post by set'em good »

QUEEN OF HEARTS, the best out there.. Ask him which way he is going to drift right when you get on the boat, go to the side that he will be drifting toward. Underhand pitch swimbaits, bounce them right of the bottom "just like bass fishing", until you hit the 20lb ling.. : )

Set'Em Good
rickd

Post by rickd »

Light tackle sounds like a nice plan but, when a ling or a white sea bass takes it good luck! They are getting the sea bass pretty good out there and they fight!

I would use heavier tackle if I were you!

Have fun!
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

rickd wrote:Light tackle sounds like a nice plan but, when a ling or a white sea bass takes it good luck! They are getting the sea bass pretty good out there and they fight!

I would use heavier tackle if I were you!

Have fun!
To keep it fun I'd stick with flip sticks + Curado 300/Calcutta 400 gear. Or Calstar GX7/GX8 + Newell 220. Gear in that category...
TannerS

Post by TannerS »

I have fished out of the queen of hearts before and done pretty good on the rockfish. best day i had 35 and my biggest was a 12 pound vermillion.
Powellco.com
TylureCustomSwimbaits.com