Do You Flush Your Engine???

kopper_bass

Do You Flush Your Engine???

Post by kopper_bass »

I had my dad out fishing 2 weeks ago; he's from back east in MD. He was surprised that i didnt flush the motor after each use, cause he does it religiously; even after a day of lake fishing.

So it got me thinking. i dont know of any of my bass fishing buddies that flush their motors, including me. I have a Yammy, which requires a special kit that is expensive, but i have never seen any Opti or Rude guys flushing theirs either.

Any of you guys flush your motor?

I have never had a problem with any of my engines, so probably won't change my habits, but it got me thinking...... Hmm :shock:

Kopper
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
Andrew Jackson

Re: Do You Flush Your Engine???

Post by Andrew Jackson »

I have owned three Yamaha motors since 1990. The first a ProV150 and never flushed it in the 10 years I owned it. My 225 efi which gernaded a couple years ago (oil delivery system issues, never flushed it. Present 225 HPDI Series II did it with the last couple months due to low psi issue. Very easy to do. There is a hose connection just under the cowling on the exterior of the motor.
Lake

Post by Lake »

I do depending on the situation. Oroville early this year after bouncing off a few floating logs I noticed a slight water pressure drop. Flushed it and had quite a few wood pcs come out. Clear Lake in the summer with the recent algae I also do it. You would be amazed how much green chunks come out. Also when jumping the sandbars during low water at clear lake or if I run a lot of flats or sand bars at low tide in the delta.
G-Ko

Post by G-Ko »

Stupid question since I can't go out and look at my engine right now, but I have a 2008 Optimax Pro XS, does it have the flush attachment already on it?
Contact me at Kosich & Callahan Insurance for a free quote for home, auto, boat, or Business Insurance.

GKosich@Kosich.com
925-284-3911
Ross England

Post by Ross England »

No, but I do trim it down completely once in the parking lot and let it drain until it quits.
corn griffin

Post by corn griffin »

im kinda confused. by flush do u mean hookn it up to earmuffs n runnin it? or r u talkin bout removing the thermostats n pumping junk out the head? r u sayin u cant hook a yammy up to muffs? ive only owned evinrude/johnson and mercs...
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Post by blkdog812 »

there is a flusher fitting on the rear of the motor, just below the cowl. it for flushing with the block a hose........

do not.........do not .........do not run the motor while connected to this port.
only run the motor with the ears attached to the lower unit
Never argue with an idiot; He'll beat you to death with stupidity.
I AM NOT SAYING THERE SHOULD BE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT FOR STUPIDITY,
BUT, WHY DON'T WE JUST TAKE THE SAFETY LABELS OFF OF EVERYTHING
AND LET THE PROBLEM SOLVE ITSELF?"
Steve Perkins

Post by Steve Perkins »

I have only flushed the outboards when we are in saltwater.

Never had to do it on the bass boat.

John 14:6

Clear Lake Fishing Guide
https://steveperkinsfishing.com/
Marty

Post by Marty »

When I purchase my boat I asked the dealer if I had to flush the motor (Opti 115) and he said only if I go into saltwater.

But I do run into a lot of low water locations through thick grass. Should I flush out my motor? I have not done it since I have own it and everything seem to running good. But this post is starting to make me think maybe I should.

Also, I don’t have a “flusher fitting on the rear of the motorâ€
corn griffin

Post by corn griffin »

[quote="Marty"]When I purchase my boat I asked the dealer if I had to flush the motor (Opti 115) and he said only if I go into saltwater.

But I do run into a lot of low water locations through thick grass. Should I flush out my motor? I have not done it since I have own it and everything seem to running good. But this post is starting to make me think maybe I should.

i usually only hook it up to the ears after i run in the salt...OR if i notice the tell tale getting weak, like when u idle through long distances of cheese to get to the secret spot. In that case ill pull the thermostats and hoses off and clean the cheese out.

ps rotten cheese is stinky
Steve Perkins

Post by Steve Perkins »

Marty, here at Clear Lake I run through lots of thick weeds, they will get in the colling system and can clog it a bit,..

The way I get her cleaned out is to make sure I get up enough speed to get the water pressure up to a normal PSI, then all is well.

John 14:6

Clear Lake Fishing Guide
https://steveperkinsfishing.com/