Sat Oct 23 Report

Hitman

Sat Oct 23 Report

Post by Hitman »

I took two easter coast guys out for their first real striper fishing here in the Delta. These guys are spoiled with the striper fishing out East so they had some doubts about west coast striper fishing. They came equip'd some some ripbaits and plastics - paddle tails and eels. I had 1 rod on the deck with a Punker;)

Hey that's a huge lure - was they're response when they first saw it sitting on the deck. I just smiled known what was to come.

We made a short run to the north east corner of Franks. First point produced a swirl on the punker but nothing to write home about. We moved to the 2nd point and BOOM!!! Massive blow up 15ft from the boat throwing water nearly into the boat. Fish takes the punker down and comes immediately up jumping and throwing the bait. The 2 east coasters can't believe what they just saw - about a 15lber up close and personal. Both are now frantically scrambling thru their tackle looking for topwater baits. Minutes later they're throwing a super spook and a pencil popper. They end up catching some nice keepers to 5lbs. I stayed with the punker all day...

We left Franks and went to Big Break. Same story they're catching numbers and having fun but the Punker is producing quality! We finish the day with 4 between 8-15lbs (all punker fish) and 15 keepers to 6lbs on ripbaits, paddle tails and spooks.

This was a great experiment for me to prove to myself that for whatever reason the Punker just flat out catches the larger fish! I know that BlackDog Baits just sold 2 more today:)
Hitman

Fish Hard Films
Long Nguyen

Re: Sat Oct 23 Report

Post by Long Nguyen »

Thanks for the report Mike. I'm sure that cloud cover we had yesterday and the storm helped with the reaction/topwater bite.

Were you tossing the original punker or an injected/6" one?
godzilla

Post by godzilla »

Hitman wrote:I took two easter coast guys out for their first real striper fishing here in the Delta. These guys are spoiled with the striper fishing out East so they had some doubts about west coast striper fishing. They came equip'd some some ripbaits and plastics - paddle tails and eels. I had 1 rod on the deck with a Punker;)

Hey that's a huge lure - was they're response when they first saw it sitting on the deck. I just smiled known what was to come.

We made a short run to the north east corner of Franks. First point produced a swirl on the punker but nothing to write home about. We moved to the 2nd point and BOOM!!! Massive blow up 15ft from the boat throwing water nearly into the boat. Fish takes the punker down and comes immediately up jumping and throwing the bait. The 2 east coasters can't believe what they just saw - about a 15lber up close and personal. Both are now frantically scrambling thru their tackle looking for topwater baits. Minutes later they're throwing a super spook and a pencil popper. They end up catching some nice keepers to 5lbs. I stayed with the punker all day...

We left Franks and went to Big Break. Same story they're catching numbers and having fun but the Punker is producing quality! We finish the day with 4 between 8-15lbs (all punker fish) and 15 keepers to 6lbs on ripbaits, paddle tails and spooks.

This was a great experiment for me to prove to myself that for whatever reason the Punker just flat out catches the larger fish! I know that BlackDog Baits just sold 2 more today:)
nice report hitman.....seems like the bigger fishes are in.....lunker punker, best topwater bait ever!!!!
***GODZILLA AFTER MILFS!!...(MOMMAS I LIKE TO FISH)....***
kwikfish

Post by kwikfish »

Nice report Hitman.

You also confirmed that "we" NorCal anglers have evolved skill sets to deal with a now puny striper fishery and "we" have to fish harder, go farther, and smarter to catch fewer stripers vs. the eastern seaboard striper fisherman.

Based on what I've gleened from those I know that have ventured back east each fall is that why should they use a $50 lure when a $5 lure will work the same?! Gee, it must be nice to be fishing over bazillions of fish all the time......... :roll:
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

Yeah weather was perfect - overcast with light winds - and we avoided the rain all day long too.

I always throw the injected models for stripers. I throw 2 colors - Trout and Oakie Shad. I make one modification to the rattling versions. I drill a small hole in the belly of the rattle chamber and fill it with silicone. I leave the ball bearings in the belly to keep the weight. The weight of the rattles and the additional weight of the silicone helps with casting a bit further and on windy days. It also gives it slightly more glide side to side than the silent version which is noticeably lighter.

I first started making the modification as I noticed I had large stripers just circling the bait on 2 back-to-back trips. I assumed the extra loud rattle chamber on this bait was just to unatural for the larger fish but loud enough to get their attention. I am now completely convinced that the silent baits out produce in the quality department!

BTW - if anyone catches a 15-20lber with a Oakie Shad Punker attached to it - IT'S MINE! The gill plate must have cut the 65lb braid!
Hitman

Fish Hard Films
Kaidenh0

Post by Kaidenh0 »

Thanks for sharing Hitman! I've only got 1 injected Punker (white) and it's gotten me the biggest fish hooked up before hooks got straightened. Nice report!
925_Angler

Post by 925_Angler »

lunker punkers sure do kill ...nice job n report hitman ... thats a mollywhop sesh 4 sho :mrgreen:
C&R stripers!
RichThiel

Post by RichThiel »

Nice Report Todd, Try that myself > Your Trick
Guide on the California Delta and Lake Berryessa for Largemouth, Smallmouth and Spots. Teach all known techniques with up to date artificial baits.

www.calbassguide.com ,

Best 5 over 7lbs for 09
1- 8lb 3oz
2- 10.73
3- 9.06
4-
5-