Removing Motor From Maxxum Bow Mount?

fish_food

Removing Motor From Maxxum Bow Mount?

Post by fish_food »

What's the correct procedure to remove the motor from a Minn Kota Maxxum mount? Do you remove the "E" clips and loosen the hex bolts on the assembly housing the breakaway spring? Thanks in advance...
bryanmc

Re: Removing Motor From Maxxum Bow Mount?

Post by bryanmc »

1. Remove the handle from the pull rope and pull it out of the "knuckle"
2. Remove the retaining clip (it's located on the inside of the arm, across from the latch) from the pin that goes through the bottom arm and the bottom of the knuckle, then remove the pin.
3. Remove one of the nuts (there is a nut on each end) from the pin that goes through the upper arm and the upper part of the knuckle and remove that pin. Hold on when you pull it out because the motor is free from the mount now.

Note... When you reassemble the mount, do not put too much torque on the nut on the upper pin, you'll twist the end right off the pin. (Don't ask how I know) :lol:
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

Thanks, Bryan.

Never had a problem in the 10 years I've owned it until last weekend (the bottom half of the head unit cracked, probably from a decade of UV exposure). The way the motor is removed isn't as obvious as on my old MotorGuide....
minnkotaman

Post by minnkotaman »

it's best if you put a 1X2 in between the upper and lower arm.
it's an over center lock and if it snaps down you will loose a finger.
remove the lower arm first then lay the motor down the 2 bolts are
9/16, you should not have to beat out any of the bolts. this being an
older motor you might have to push really hard but not beat out.
watch your fingers. outside of that bryanmc is right on.
HotLoad

Post by HotLoad »

I have a Maxxum 70lb, and need to take the motor in for service. If I remove the two pins as explained above, how do I disconnect the power head, cable and foot pedal? Or do I need to remove pedal and take that to the shop too?
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

The pedal / cables remain connected..... your just removing everything from the mount
HotLoad

Post by HotLoad »

BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:43 am The pedal / cables remain connected..... your just removing everything from the mount
Great, thank you. The pin was a little stubborn, but finally came out and it's on its way to the repair shop. Thank you Big Daddy