Lowrance HDS Vs. humminbird

bmshepherd

Lowrance HDS Vs. humminbird

Post by bmshepherd »

I am looking to get a new graph and need some input as to which is a better buy. The HDS 7 with structure scan is about $1600 and the humminbird 798 with side imaging is $1000. I know that the HDS has a lot of features for boating but all I want is to see whats under the water and have good GPS. Also is it really worth the money to get a 7" screen instead of a 5". And is there a way to transfer waypoints from an old maping chip to a new unit.

If anyone has any advice it would sure help...thanks, Brad S.
dobynsrods.com
propointlures.com
swordfish

Re: Lowrance HDS Vs. humminbird

Post by swordfish »

Call Don Iovino he is Lowrance all the way (which excludes Hummingbird who makes good stuff in the U.S.) but is a master and one of the best with electronics ever. He can set you up and fine tune anything you have with personal service, he is easy to contact and speak with as well.
the best way to catch a big one is don't lose um sharp hooks set drag retie!
flipit

Post by flipit »

I have both. Best I can tell you is the Lowrance has more features, the Humminbird is more user friendly. You can get the 898 for about $1400 if not less if ya shop around. I got a 798si for $699.
Fishing should be fun.
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

bmshepherd wrote:is there a way to transfer waypoints from an old maping chip to a new unit.

If anyone has any advice it would sure help...thanks, Brad S.
The waypoints are not stored on the chip. They are in the unit. Lowrance to Lowrance or 'bird to 'bird, easy. One brand to another, not so easy but possible. I bought a boat with Humminbird on it and spent a ton to replace it with Lowrance if that helps. I would do it again.
roaroar

Post by roaroar »

Both units are good and depends on what you get use to. I would only recommend you get the largest screen you can afford. With the larger HDS 8 and HDS 10 you can have up to 4 different views. The overlays are nice and soft keys really help getting thur the menu. Also as we get older larger screens are better to see.
I have both a HDS 10 on the console and HDS 7 up front.
My partner has HDS 7 in the console and HDS 5 up front. It has worked fine for him but really enjoys my larger screens.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

flipit wrote:I have both. Best I can tell you is the Lowrance has more features, the Humminbird is more user friendly. You can get the 898 for about $1400 if not less if ya shop around. I got a 798si for $699.
I also have both. The Humminbird SI and Down imaging are great, and easy to use.
The Lowrance HD is incredibly crisp and shows small detail really well.
I have the Humminbird on the console, and the Lowrance on the TM.
It works for me.
I can follow my dropshot or spoon down when I'm fishing from the bow, and see everything clearly.
The Humminbird is by far more user friendly, at least for someone who is computer challenged, like me.
Get the biggest screen you can afford for the console. You won't be sorry.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
fishin45

Post by fishin45 »

if you have a money issue i would say the hummingbird, however keep in mind the reason you are paying more for the lowrance is the built in broadband sonar. broadband really enhances the fish finder and gives you a much crisper display with great seperation between fish, grass, etc. the lowrance is the way to go in my opinion. as for waypoints your old gps unit should allow you to download your waypoints to a chip which can then be put into your unit and then you can load the waypoints into your new finder/gps. also if you have an exsisting chip such as hotmaps you can use it as well but keep in mind each year they build a new chip with more detail that may not be on the old version.

well hope this will help and good luck with your choice

tight lines
offduty

Post by offduty »

I would have to agree to go as big as you can. I originally was going to go with the HDS 10 but found out it had no video out port. I went with a Humminbird 1197 on the bow and a 998 in the dash linked to a 15" screen above it. With my old eyes the bigger screen helps although I think Lowrance has the better picture for structure scan than Humminbird's down scan.
DASH.jpg
DASH.jpg (52 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
BOW.jpg
BOW.jpg (38.88 KiB) Viewed 2185 times
Rich
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Wow, that screen is enormous! How do you see around it to drive? :lol:
CLEAN AND DRY
offduty

Post by offduty »

mark poulson wrote:Wow, that screen is enormous! How do you see around it to drive? :lol:
Its not in the way. I mounted it as low as possible and it enables you to see over it. The top is no higher than the top of the windshield. I made the dash plate out of a 1/4" piece of King Starboard and reconfigured the gauges so that the 998 in the dash was in the center low with the gauges on each side.

Rich
Rich
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

The whole installation looks great. Two thumbs up!
Now you have me wondering if it's possible to get a small flat screen TV and use it for a monitor, too. Maybe I could get a dish, like the guys with RV's have, and watch cartoons, or football, while I fish.
CLEAN AND DRY
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

mark poulson wrote:The whole installation looks great. Two thumbs up!
Now you have me wondering if it's possible to get a small flat screen TV and use it for a monitor, too. Maybe I could get a dish, like the guys with RV's have, and watch cartoons, or football, while I fish.
I'm allready there its mount on the pass side :wink:
[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/basscaptain/Kirk-McIntyre-sig.gif[/img]
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

macinckirk wrote:
mark poulson wrote:The whole installation looks great. Two thumbs up!
I'm allready there its mount on the pass side :wink:
Kirk, did I ever tell you how much I hate you? :lol: :lol: :lol:
CLEAN AND DRY
Rod Wynn

Post by Rod Wynn »

macinckirk wrote:I'm allready there its mount on the pass side :wink:
Pics please...
AMATEURS work until they get it RIGHT..
PROFESSIONALS WORK until they CAN'T get it Wrong..
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Rod Wynn wrote:
macinckirk wrote:I'm allready there its mount on the pass side :wink:
Pics please...
Rod,
Do you think you can watch the Lakers and fish at the same time? :wink:
I am thinking a huge ram mount, so it can be swiveled and watched from both the driver's seat and the bow.
I guess that would give a whole new meaning to being back seated. :lol:
CLEAN AND DRY