Etec 225 HO problem

AZ_PWE

Etec 225 HO problem

Post by AZ_PWE »

Any Etec Gurus out there?
My 2007 225HO is acting up, and doing that intermittant problem thing that is tough to diagnose.
Heres the details:

475 hours on original powerhead. Prior major repairs are limited to 1 injector replacement, starter and tilt/trim replaced. All regualr service has been performed.

Over the past month, the motor has progressivly but intemittantly had low idle stutter and accel problems. Normally, the day will start with the motor starting, idling and accel'ing perfectly. After about an hour, it will begin to stutter a little before going on plane. Each progressive start then gets more stutter and the idle begins to falter. Sometimes the motor will then begin to die at idle. It then gets so bad the motor will not put the boat onto plane. Sometimes. placing it in neutral and revving it past the stutter will allow it to go onto plane for that start.
Have been doing a couple repairs, and each time I go to the lake for a test, it starts out indling and running like nothing is wrong. After about an hour, or about 10 start ups, it starts to go bad, a little worse each start until it will barely run.
All the following repairs have been done with no apparent solution to the problem:
New starting battery, new fuel line, new bulb, new fuel lift pump, new fuel filter, new plugs, throttle linkage adjusted, reed valves checked and cleaned. The boat was taken to the shop and the computer showed no malfunction codes.

I know,you are still stunned that I have an original etec with 475 hours on it, but if you have any ideas on this please pm me or give me a call at 602 708-7727

Supposed to be at the Delta in a few days, and it's gonna be a long week if I don't figure this out.
sniper

Re: Etec 225 HO problem

Post by sniper »

You need an ECU (computer). Have an Evinrude mechanic unplug you ECU and plug in a shop ECU and let you try it. There are all sorts of crazy things that happen when the ECU goes haywire. It never sets the same fault codes, or any at all sometimes. One time the fuel injector function will be affected, another time the voltage, another time the over-temp alarm. I've been through it, it's not fun!
Maackbass

Post by Maackbass »

+1 on sniper's post. My partners 200 HO would work fine and soon after go haywire. Evinrude trailer provided a new computer and problem was solved! Good luck and maybe see u at the Delta next week!
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

I'd concur with the previous two posters, get it in and have that ECU swapped out, since it's a 2007, I believe you should still be flyin under the 5 year warranty.
Marine Unlimited

Post by Marine Unlimited »

You can not just swap a ecu on a E-Tec! check and see if this engine has had a pin kit installed or call me with your ser# and I can check for you.
WWW.MARINEUNLIMITED.NET
WWW.RANGERBOATS.COM
Marine Unlimited

Post by Marine Unlimited »

707-762-8084
WWW.MARINEUNLIMITED.NET
WWW.RANGERBOATS.COM
AZ_PWE

Post by AZ_PWE »

Thanks Brant,

I left you a voicemail with the engine info.

E225DHLSUA
S/N 05177335

My cell is 602 708-7727 if you can call me. I will be away from the computer staring Saturday.
AZ_PWE

Post by AZ_PWE »

A big thank you to Brant from Marine Unlimited!!!
I got to the Delta this past week with the problem still happening.
Was running but not well. During pre-fish, Brant called me and said he researched my motor and found that the deflector pins were already installed, so that wasn't the problem. He went further and found that this motor series has a history of the exhaust plate cracking between the bolck and lower unit. This causes the cowling to fill up with exhaust gases and choke the motor. If you read my initial description of the problem, you can see the possibilities. I pulled the motor cowling off and ran the motor as Brant suggested, and Bingo.... ran perfectly.
Later that day, we trailered the boat and stripped the side cowlings to check for problems with the exhaust plate. I was fortunate to have a fellow Arizonan and marine mechanic, Ken Howden staying next to us in the trailer park, and he checked it out for me.
What we found was a little scary. The exhaust port did not appear cracked, but the bolts holding it to the lower unit had come loose and some of them had snapped off. This caused the gasket to blow out and thus the exhaust leak. Ken was able to patch it back together temporarily and it ran perfect the rest of the trip. Now it will be headed in for a proper repair.
This motor has never been disasembled since new, and maybe a lesson to learn ( mostly for service techs ) to make sure and inspect this area during routine maintenance.

Hats off to both Brant and Ken for their help. Pretty impressive for them to step up and help out someone in need. Brant knows I am from AZ and probably not a potential customer for his Ca shop, and Ken took time off his busy pre-fish to turn some wrenches for me.
These are the kind of guys that should get your business if you are in their area.