painful lesson

markguyver

painful lesson

Post by markguyver »

I learned a painful over the last 4 days, last friday jonathan and i pre fished for wrl on the delta, not very hot didnt drink alot of water. sat tournament day coffee, monsters, not very hot not much water. come sun pm my stomach starts to hurt and not havin regular bowel movements, jump to wed afternoon sitting at kaiser with a gut ache from hell. impacted colan no fun. got the proper prescriptions to solve the problem but it all stemed from not drinkin water. remember to stay hydrated even when its not that hot, and even more so when the temps go up. mark
Kevin Evans - Kap

Re: painful lesson

Post by Kevin Evans - Kap »

Vey good post Mark..
I have a bad habit of not drinking enough water as well, And I know better... :shock:
markguyver wrote:I learned a painful over the last 4 days, last friday jonathan and i pre fished for wrl on the delta, not very hot didnt drink alot of water. sat tournament day coffee, monsters, not very hot not much water. come sun pm my stomach starts to hurt and not havin regular bowel movements, jump to wed afternoon sitting at kaiser with a gut ache from hell. impacted colan no fun. got the proper prescriptions to solve the problem but it all stemed from not drinkin water. remember to stay hydrated even when its not that hot, and even more so when the temps go up. mark
take it easy,
Kap
You cant fix stupid, but you can vote it out...
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Good lesson, sorry you had to learn it the hard way! Always start your day on the water hydrating - BEFORE you get out. Coffee isn't hydration - coffee will DEHYDRATE.

Happened to me during the last US Open I participated in... I was there for three days of practice, it was hot as hell and I didn't properly hydrate, probably had too many beers in the evenings, and on the weekend I was laid up in the room in some pretty serious discomfort and was blocked up as blocked up could be. I seriously wondered if I was actually going to have to pull out of the tournament.

On Sunday the wife had some suggestions and got some remedies from the drug store, and I spent the afternoon and evening trying to get unblocked. It worked, to an extent, but the next morning I was seriously concerned as I had drawn TGO (Mike Folkstad) for my first Pro and surely didn't want to have any issues. I walked down the dock with considerable trepidation, and again really considered whether or not to withdraw, but fortunately it all worked out OK and I enjoyed the experience I had hoped for.

Lesson learned for me...

Up until now, there's only a couple of folks who actually know this story. Sorry, but thought this was a good time to share - this was a very embarrasing moment for me, but the fact is you have to take it serious as there can be some very severe medical consequences if you don't properly care for yourself, regardless whether it is 120 degrees or 70 degrees.

HYDRATE FOLKS!

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
Skeeterman

Post by Skeeterman »

When you have a tournement or pre fish or even fun fishing and you know it's going to be warm to hot start drinking water the day before that way you have enough hydration to start the next day and do not stop drinking water drink water allday if you can.Do not drink the those energy drinks those are nothing but a rip off,save your money don't buy those drinks.Water is the best way to go.
TeamBeefmaster

Post by TeamBeefmaster »

what ever happened to having a large coffee, a bran muffin, and a cigarette before a tournament?!! if you dont time it right its like a race with the devil out on the water :)
WackySenko

Post by WackySenko »

Pepsi and a Snickers is the only way to start :D
Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

I 'am surprised that there are not a lot more guy's and gal's who seem to not drink water or at least hydrate in anyway. don't keel over on tournaments day's.................lessons learned when I was soccer coach and the 8 and 9 yr old would be as red as you can get and sweating like mad. We would pump em full of water and juice to just about they were squishing when they walked. You would be amazed as too how much a little kid can drink when they are hot and thirsty !! But when we are adults we stop with the common sense for are selves ? A Gallon a day is what is needed to keep your self going on a average day when exposed to full sun and middle level physical effort at 80 degree temps. But a bran muffin, cup of joe and a cig is good for most !!!!!
Yeah ? It's Me Again, SO WHAT!!!!!
offduty

Post by offduty »

I worked out by the Colorado river in Blythe last week and it was 113. When I am on its 1 - 1 1/2 gals a day.
Rich
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

TeamBeefmaster wrote:what ever happened to having a large coffee, a bran muffin, and a cigarette before a tournament?!! if you dont time it right its like a race with the devil out on the water :)

Thats what im talkin about SHake and BAKE - but you pay holy hell when the devil wins :mrgreen:
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
norcalbones

Post by norcalbones »

Sorry to hear ya had t learn it that way, I always bring a gallon of water & a couple Gatorade's with me when I go out.
Topwater Terry

I agree with skeeterman

Post by Topwater Terry »

about the energy drinks, those are mostly just sugar water, might as well have a soda instead. Hard to believe how many guys talk about healthy eating but start their days with that crap. Drink lots of water, if it is really hot, drink something with some nutrients like a propel or gatorade. Gatorade has some sugar but nothing like those sugar drinks disquised as energy drinks. Man, i grew up in Blythe, I feel for those guys who are gonna be at Mead for the open, hottttterrrr than a mofo for sure...
ScottyJ

Post by ScottyJ »

Redbull and Snickers is all you need.

On a serious note as everyone has said it is super important to drink water. On the super hot days and for those going to fish US Open, I would suggest wearing a camel back so you have the water right there and its easy to get at.

For those of you like myself who want flavor and would rather have a gatorade, soda or juice, go to safeway and get some Mio. Its on the water or juice aisle and is a flavor additive to put in your water. it comes in a little gray plastic bottle and there are like 6 different flavors. It has 0 sugar, 0 salt, NOTHING! Makes drinking water seem like your drinking a gatorade but without any of the crap that will dehydrate you. They are like $3-4 a bottle a flavors 24 8oz servings of water. Works out to .13 a serving.
"Jig fish are big fish"
Brian

Post by Brian »

[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
massbaster

Post by massbaster »

You can also get kidney stones from not drinking enough water , I have had them a few times and they are not fun :(
Bass Pro Shopper

Post by Bass Pro Shopper »

I've turned to Smart Water after finding out it has electrolytes in it. So, it's like gatorade without all the sugar.
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's more serious than that!
dwise

Post by dwise »

Last year at the US Open, I drank alot of water, however that did nothing for the dehydration. I was dizzy and couldn't urinate. For the first two days, I was very sick but I stayed out on the water. Once the sun got high in the sky and the temps soared, I couldn't fish at all. I pulled out of the tournament after the second day. The next morning I was so sick that I called my brother, who lives in Vegas, and he told me I needed to drink Gatorade. So I went to the gift shop and paid $3.00 for one bottle of G2. I drank three of those and I felt better. The sports drinks have electrolites that your body needs in order to rehydrate. Water will not help if you're already dehydrated. You need to drink sports drinks with electrolites.

Dehydration is nothing to mess with. Your kidneys could shut down and you'll end up in the hospital. There were alot of guys, including a couple of Pros that got dehydrated. One Pro was hospitalized for kidney failure, and others had to go to the hospital as well. Do yourself a favor and drink sports drinks when you're out in that heat.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club