What are you using for a punching rod?
Thanks,
- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
Riplip

Re: Punching Rod

Post by Riplip »

Dobyns or Powell 805
If you always do what you did, you will always get what you got!

www.californiaresrvoirlures.com
lil nitro

Post by lil nitro »

Check out the rod that bub tosh has for punching its made by irod.
massbaster

Post by massbaster »

Zombie 7'10" flip rod. :D
jhobbs

Post by jhobbs »

I bought a powell 7105 2 months ago and love it. biggest fish so far was 8.4 handled it well
Dom

Post by Dom »

Hey Wolfman no need to buy another rod your frog rod will work just as well they are designed to haul bass out of the muck same as the punch rods and if you like me you have a couple of frog rods just tie up to one of those :D
Tight Lines Dom
Robchik

Post by Robchik »

2nd vote for the Powell 7105... Best one i've used.
http://www.robchik.com
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

I use a diawa zillion xh rod. Biggest I've punched on it is a 9lber and It handled that hog with ease.
civicrr

Post by civicrr »

Dobyns DX795 :D
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

Dom wrote:Hey Wolfman no need to buy another rod your frog rod will work just as well they are designed to haul bass out of the muck same as the punch rods and if you like me you have a couple of frog rods just tie up to one of those :D

Except for the lure weight rating on a frog rod is alot less than a punching rod. If you want a great rod at a good price take a look @ the okuma c3 7'11" xh rod. Its rated for 2 to 8 ounces and my buddy punches with that and it is a great rod for punching. It only runs like 140 with a lifetime warranty. Outdoor Sportsman in Stockton has them on sale for 119$ I use the 7'2" heavy for my flipping and light punching rod and I LOVE IT!!!.
feelinminnesota

Post by feelinminnesota »

687 lami cert pro.
a bit short, but sensitive and very stout. as long as i keep my flips short, the rod length isn't too bad.
basslayer

Post by basslayer »

jhobbs wrote:I bought a powell 7105 2 months ago and love it. biggest fish so far was 8.4 handled it well
+1 Also check out the Powell Endurance 775c. I've been using it since last year for punching along with the 7105 and its been excellent.
http://www.powellco.com
www.eyesurrendernow.com
Saulsbury's Earthmovers

Adam Ochoa
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Daiwa Steez - awesome punch rod, does most of the work for you. Extremely pricey, but it is an incredible punch stick and I ended up buying two.

Also, agreed with the Dobyns choice also - I've got one of those and they are awesome also.

Jim Molton turned me on to both, and let me try both out after the HBC here on the Delta and sold me right then and there. Once you try a really good stick you'll never go back.

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
SKTR 20i

Post by SKTR 20i »

I use a 7'6" hvy Carrot Stix and it works great!! Lightweight and strong. Lifetime warranty.

John.
veroscop

Post by veroscop »

Dobyns 805 punch rod is the number 1 choice but it you want a shorter rod go with the Dobyns DX795....Both rods are awesome....Ive got two of the 805's and one 795 on the deck.....
Dobyns Rods, Valley Rod & Gun, Bassectomy lures, California Reservoir Lures, Oakland Pallet Co., Basstarz
DeltaBassBuster

Post by DeltaBassBuster »

I use a Quantum US Tour rod, 7 ft. heavy action telescopic rated up to 100 lb test line. It has 65 lb Power Pro braid on it. Currently I use this rod for my punchn', froggin', and heavy flippn' my jigs. This last Saturday after getting off of work I swung by BPS in Manteca and was looking at a 8 Ft. Shimano Crucial rod rated as X-Heavy. My B-day is coming up and thinking about buying another rod just for punchin, even though this one was labeled as a heavy swimbait rod. I guess I can use it for both purposes.
Nevadaboy

Post by Nevadaboy »

I would try a Denali Rose wood 7"6 Heavy
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Do yourself a favor and go to a dealer and play with them. Check the tip action, power, and balance of the rod. It makes a big difference when flippin all day. I help guys with rod choices everyday. I am damn good at it.....BUT only after asking many questions about line, cover, weights, and what he wants in a rod. Some guys want more tip, others want nothing but power, some want a more mod action, and so on. For instance in my 7'6" flippin line, I prefer the 766 Flip and it's bad a$$ but my 765 Flip out sells it badly. Why? It's called a 5 power and guys are scared of 6 powers. Try various brands at a dealer and you will find BIG differences in rods.

Richard, Dan, or myself will be glad to answer any questions on our rods. Rich and Dan knows the line EXTREMELY well too. Give us a call if we can help 530-671-1989 Thanks!
SacRtrain

Post by SacRtrain »

The new Cumara is awesome for punchin. Its 7'7'' so it balances better in my opinion and is rated up to 3 ozs. I really like it and even flip with it because of the sensitivity.
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

Wolfeman,

DOBYNS DX795......... I've pitched as light as 1/2 jigs and texas rigs all the way up to punching 2oz. punch rigs... no problems what so ever. Lots of back bone, but still enough tip to not rip the hook out..... This is the same rod i caught our last fish onf the day on the delta.

Let me know if you want to check it out our any rod for the matter.....

Steven
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

Powell Endurance 775 and Shimano Crucial 766. Both have pulled big fish through the mats for me.

NoCAL
Marty

Post by Marty »

Rick, I use my Dobyns 805H Swim Bait Fast rod. I like the reach and fast hook set and it can haul all of the grass wrapped around any bass. It works really good with the Danny Miller Punching Weights. The handle sets right under my arm and still be able to raise the tip of the rod to bring the point of the weight straight up to slip into the grass. When the bass hits the bait the fast tip set the hook and still keep tension on the line where the bass does not unhook. I can also use it for Swim Baits.
Mike

Post by Mike »

veroscop wrote:Dobyns 805 punch rod is the number 1 choice but it you want a shorter rod go with the Dobyns DX795....Both rods are awesome....Ive got two of the 805's and one 795 on the deck.....

+1
OG on WB since 1993
meagain

Post by meagain »

Powell 7105! great rod. flipping big fish with one for a couple years now with absolutely NO problems best part is that it fits nicely and I am comfortable using it all day (if need be). Gary mentioned a good point about asking a bunch of Questions, what works for me might not work for you. find a rod your comfortable with.
Lloyd Close