schooled ! "my story" long

Trace

schooled ! "my story" long

Post by Trace »

The "Schooled by Denny Brauer" show championship tournament was awesome. After 1700 applicants, they called 100 of us last August. Then, in late September or so, I got the call that I would be one of the 10 to be on the show. Dec 2 I fished Lake Greeson in Southwest Arkansas. The fishing was tough despite catching 5 bass and I really second guessed a few things over the next 6 months waiting to see if I made the top 4 who get to go back and fish the championship. Then I got the call, YES! Wow, I made the top 4. That is all I thought about.
I flew in to Salt Lake City and met another California angler Martin Dehaven who also made the championship. We then flew on to Little Rock , Ark. We were picked up by Billy Chapman and Wes from JM Associates and driven to Casscoe, Ark's Wildlife Farms lodge (Home of the International Cup and the flooded cypress trees you see on Bassmaster University). I met the other two anglers Paul Ritchie from New York and Royal Petersen from Mo.
We jumped into Denny Brauer's Ranger with him and his grandson Colby. Denny showed us the chain of oxbow lakes we would be fishing and how the course would be divided. All I could think about is ,"I hope I can pick up some of this man's skill or luck." What a cool guy and true professional he is. Back to the lodge, Denny handed us boxes of Strike King baits, Mustad hooks & line and etc. Martin and I are like kids on Christmas morning. We drew for boats and I got the cool bright yellow Triton BassTech special, complete with neon lights, DVD, X-Box, and lots of amps and speakers. "If only I could figure out how to turn it on." The East coast boys established some friendly competition by getting on the East vs. West thing. Back to the lodge for an awesome STEAK dinner, and hanging out chattin' with Denny. Back to the room, I started to assemble my rods and organize my tackle for tomorrow morning. At 12:30 am I decided to lie down on the bed and wait until breakfast at 04:30. I am amped! No Redbull needed.
When I walked in to the dining area for breakfast, I realized the big joke going around about the drop shot rig that I had tied on.
I figured I might need it, why not? Off to the lake to fish. Martin and I started on hole #1. I started off slow going through my assortment of 10 rods. I tossed out a senko and "bam", a brim a couple casts later "bam", an aligator gar. I sure didn't lip that fish. Then a 3+ pound largemouth came out from under the boat and stole the senko off the back of the hook. "Yeah! I found the fish."
I stuck with the senko and fished everything until I got a 3# in the boat. Then the fish started eating pretty good as I figured out how the fish wanted the bait (I think Sapp would be proud). I ran fast on the trolling motor hitting all the good spots and kept catching solid 2-3# fish. Then I had to switch to hole #2. I kept running the TM on high looking for the fish. I pulled up to a little canal and flipped a 4#+ fish. I backed off and dead sticked the bait and got the little blue gill "tick." I swung hard and hooked up with a fish that looked to be 7-8#. Half way to the boat, it came loose. That hurt. Then Denny came by and asked how's fishin', I told him I caught the 4, but lost an 8. He shook his head and said, "it probably doesn't matter." Back to work I go. I stick a good fish abut 3# and he comes off. We're off to the weigh-in. I weigh in 13 and something which puts me in 2nd place. Cool! I'm fishing for the win this afternoon. Back to the lodge for a spaghetti lunch and lots of ice tea. Since it's 93 and HUMID it sure hits the spot.
Back on the water, I am bouncing up and down ready to go.
I pulled up to a giant cypress tree and waited for the time to make my first cast. I pitch in and catch a small keeper. Then a 2#, then a 4#. What a blast. I caught 10.23 and two limits on the second round, even a small keeper drop shot fish. This was truly an experience of a lifetime that I'll never forget. I hope you all cheer me on while watching the championship which will air on ESPN2 Sat 5 am beginning Sept. 10 or 17th. I must thank ESPN,JM Associates, Billy Chapman, Denny Brauer, Wes, Ranger and Triton boats, Strike King and Mustad. And my new friends Martin, Paul and Royal.
If you want to be schooled, go to Fishfactory.com and sign up. You never know?
Joe Bruce

Re: schooled ! "my story" long

Post by Joe Bruce »

wow that is way cool ! Thats funny they were laughing at the cali dude with the dropshot. schooled um though

someone please get it on tape, All I get is news 10 on the rabbit ears. Ill pay for the tape + shipping.
troutnut

Hey Joe

Post by troutnut »

I TiVO almost everything. I always TIVO Schooled with DB. If you fire me off an email at troutnut@pacbell.net, I'll email you back my mailing address and let you know when to send me a tape. I can usually get them back out the same day I recieve them.

You should get Direct TV and TIVO, no more getting up at 4 am for the BASSCENTER for me!
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Trace. That is really neat and something to remember. Glad for you. Now is it illegal or could someone put the show on DVD and
allow us to purchase or borrow it to watch, if we can get or miss
the ESPN show? Bill K
mark poulson

Trace, great story! Congratulations.*NM*

Post by mark poulson »

*NM*
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Barry

Congrats Trace !!! Thanks for sharing!*NM*

Post by Barry »

*NM*
TTCal

Post by TTCal »

Great story Trace.. cant' wait to catch it on TV.. I too have it TiVo'd :)
Dennis "Cal" Shew
Enthusiast Tackle Editor
Tackle Tour : The Angler's source for tackle news and reviews
www.tackletour.com

[i]fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside[/i]
David McKenzie

Congrates Trace..I'll have to tune in.*NM*

Post by David McKenzie »

*NM*
rickd

What channel is it on?

Post by rickd »

I have the direct tv and tivo as well, what channel is it? or what is the show called?
Thanks,
rickd
troutnut

Post by troutnut »

schooled by Denny Brauer ESPN 2 direct tv channel 209 sat morning about 0600 local time.

Just scroll thru TiVo alphabetical list and put it on SEASON PASS.
BassTraveler

Great Story...

Post by BassTraveler »

and a congratulations on the Win.
You did the west good.
Sieg 8)
Casey College Angler

Trace...great story!!

Post by Casey College Angler »

Trace,
I will be on two fishing show put on by JM Associates. I really need to speak with you about the lake you fished in Arkansas. I will be on a Collegiate Bass Show and Jerry McKinnis' "The Fishin Hole". I am a college student from Texas and will tell you about it when you email me. Thanks so much!!!

Casey Sobczak
csob3@yahoo.com
Casey Sobczak
President, SFA University Bass Team