Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well known

Moderators: MKA, Caudawg

Mike Tuck
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 7:14 am
Contact:

Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well known

Postby Mike Tuck » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:07 am

National level Professionals whom share the same views and goals as I got together and started this petition. Please join my peers and I and sign this petition and forward it to all of your friends whom have an interest in competitive fishing.

See below

Mike Tuck

Ban The A Rig Petition | GoPetition
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/ban-the-a-rig.html

Jason Borofka
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:47 am
Location: Salinas

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby Jason Borofka » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:37 am

Good Job Mike! I agree the a rig should be band from tournaments forever. Do all you guys want to show up to Clear Lake this spring for a tournament with the same thing tied on? If so you must suck at fishing and think your a good gambler!

BigJeff
Posts: 356
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:23 am

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby BigJeff » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:44 am

Just curious to see if you felt the same way when swimbaits started to dominate a lot of the cold weather month tournaments and basically turned into a whoever catches the biggest toad on a swimbait wins event?

The best anglers (the guys who put in the work) are still going to win the tournaments.

Al M
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:17 pm

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby Al M » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:22 am

I sure dont miss the lake tournament scene, some of you guys are the biggest drama queens. Dont forget to set your dvr to housewifes :shock:

Jason Borofka
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:47 am
Location: Salinas

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby Jason Borofka » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:42 am

Yes swim baits do win a lot of tournaments especially during the cold winter months. but thats not even close to what the a rig is doing. I'm sure that the guys on this forum that are good with swim baits will tell you that it takes some skill to catch a toad and win a tournament with a swim bait. I guess Ill just show up and throw 3 hudds on any given point and catch 3 toads and win!

Bottom line is we don't hunt deer with a machine gun so why fish tournaments with an a rig!

TEAMDEADMONEY
Posts: 1334
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:33 pm
Location: So. Cal.
Contact:

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby TEAMDEADMONEY » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:56 am

Thats a nice boat there Mr. Al M... You should keep youre salt water mouth shut before one of us freshwater guys jams a quagga into it and shuts it for you. :shock: You fresh water guys fish in the salt because the lakes dont have enough fish for you.... From what I hear the saltwater series is getting alot of drama queens in it as well..
Did I mention Nice boat?
And those two girls in that boat need to both go on a diet...good thing thats a big boat because those two chubby fellas would sink a normal bass boat, no wonder you dont fish in the "fresh" anymore. Nice shirts by the way... ARE YOU TWO GIRLS TWINS??
Anybody can catch a fish in the saltwater...it takes mad def skills to catch a bass in the winter on our highly presured lakes.
Frickin BassTurd!!

Pete 8)
PeteMarinoGuideService.com

User avatar
bryanmc
Posts: 784
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 6:32 am
Location: Lake Fork, TX

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby bryanmc » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:19 am

Jason Borofka wrote:I guess Ill just show up and throw 3 hudds on any given point and catch 3 toads and win!


You'll be spending so much time in the gym (or at the chiropractor) you won't have time to fish :lol:

mike at robo
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 11:25 am

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby mike at robo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:29 am

I have been going about this whole fish contest thing all wrong ! I'm going to get out my tackle box , take out all the lures that I see as " unfair " then when I get them all in a big pile because I suck at these lures that I haven't been able to figure out , I'm going to start a petition to ban these lures from tournaments !!!!! This is genius !!!! Just think of the money I'll save on tackle !!! I'll only need three rods , ones backup for the inevitable end of use backlash , a couple lures and a few bags of worms !!! All kidding aside , I'm excited about fishing a new lure . This is what keeps fishing fresh . The first time I catch multiples on this contraption I'm gonna squeal like like that damn pig on those geico commercials .

littlebailey
Posts: 680
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:42 pm
Location: Lake Casitas/ Havasu/ Clearlake

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby littlebailey » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:47 am

i want to hear you squeal Mikey.............. :D :D Its been a while. :D :D
"Posse Approved"
www.reactorwatch.com
www.bassaholics.com
www.irodfishing.com

NitroSport
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby NitroSport » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:48 am

If you think Tuck sucks at the A-rig, and that has anything at all to do with his signing of the petition, there's no reason to try & explain or argue any of these points with you. The reason the petition has any credibility is because anglers who have had success with it and could win tournaments with it are the ones signing it in many cases.

Al M
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:17 pm

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby Al M » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:02 pm

TEAMDEADMONEY wrote:Thats a nice boat there Mr. Al M... You should keep youre salt water mouth shut before one of us freshwater guys jams a quagga into it and shuts it for you. :shock: You fresh water guys fish in the salt because the lakes dont have enough fish for you.... From what I hear the saltwater series is getting alot of drama queens in it as well..
Did I mention Nice boat?
And those two girls in that boat need to both go on a diet...good thing thats a big boat because those two chubby fellas would sink a normal bass boat, no wonder you dont fish in the "fresh" anymore. Nice shirts by the way... ARE YOU TWO GIRLS TWINS??
Anybody can catch a fish in the saltwater...it takes mad def skills to catch a bass in the winter on our highly presured lakes.
Frickin BassTurd!!

Pete 8)

Yea I know it sure takes alot of skill to catch them at perris nowadays. Let me see, drive over to the canyon, drop some icejigs down, snag a nice bag and win a 7 boat tourney. Sounds fun. STFU you one lake wonder. Nice yellow skeeter.

TEAMDEADMONEY
Posts: 1334
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:33 pm
Location: So. Cal.
Contact:

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby TEAMDEADMONEY » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:27 pm

Shut your hole Salt water boy... You just keep using your 100lb mono to catch those Spotted Bay bass. Yeah thats fun... Yeah we may have small turnouts but Id rather fish a small tournament on a lake then fish a 65 boat tournament in the bay where the winners only have 7 1/2 lbs for a 5 bass limit. Hows the conversation go with you and youre chubby partner??
Chubby guy catching the tiny a s s bay bass.... "hey, I think I got a bite, I better swing"
Chubby partner eating a sammich... " dont swing too hard or youll tear its head off with that 100lb mono!!"
Chubby Guy catching that tiny a s s bay bass... "Bro get the net..I have a GIANT!!"
Chubby partner eating a sammich..."Hold on Im eating"
Chubby guy catching the tiny a s s bay bass... "Come on bro...Its our Kicker...this toad can win us the $105 bucks that these salt water tournaments pay for winning"
Chubby partner eating a sammich...."Got anything to drink to wash down this sammich?"
Chubby Guy catching the tiny a s s bay bass....."DUDE, GET THE NET..ITS ENORMOUS!!"
Chubby partner eating a sammich... "Okay Okay...should we gaff it? Okay Ill net it because it might be a record bay bass"
Chubby partner nets the bass.... " GOOD GOD THATS OUR KICKER we have to weigh it to be sure"
Chubby partner who just caught the "kicker"... "YEESSSS ITS OUR KICKER... IT WEIGHS 1.82lbs... WE ARE #1 today!!!"
LAME!!!


Pete
PeteMarinoGuideService.com

mike at robo
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 11:25 am

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby mike at robo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:54 pm

I'm not singleing anybody out , Mike Tuck included . I don't know the man . I don't want to here the "explanations " for excluding this bait from tournament use . There is NO reason this bait should be banned from use unless specified by local authorities . End of discussion . , ! @

NitroSport
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby NitroSport » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:57 pm

How about live bait? Trolling? Two rods? Local authorities wouldn't have any problem with that but I bet you'd get DQ'ed...

User avatar
TeamBeefmaster
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:02 pm
Location: Castaic

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby TeamBeefmaster » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:27 pm

i think it should be allowed in T's. If the law allows it, so should tournaments. Im sure some days it will kick a$$. Others, i bet a 3" drop shot worm would out fish it.

User avatar
bryanmc
Posts: 784
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 6:32 am
Location: Lake Fork, TX

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby bryanmc » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:50 pm

NitroSport wrote:The reason the petition has any credibility is because anglers who have had success with it and could win tournaments with it are the ones signing it in many cases.


As of 1:50 pm today, 423 people have signed the petition in 3 months. Not exactly a barn burner.

mike at robo
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 11:25 am

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby mike at robo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:07 pm

NitroSport wrote:How about live bait? Trolling? Two rods? Local authorities wouldn't have any problem with that but I bet you'd get DQ'ed...

The difference is if you allowed above said fishing techniques in top tier tournaments NOBODY would watch ! Which would you rather see , kvd staring at two rods with bobbers and bells attached to the end of them ? Or watch him reel in multiple fish and try to decide which one to grab first as they go bat s.it crazy around the boat ? Or watch Ike implode as two five pounders jump off at the boat ! I think most people would take the latter . Would make for good tv watching kvd stare at them there bobbers though .....

NitroSport
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby NitroSport » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:15 pm

You said anything allowed by law, end of discussion, but now it sounds like anything allowed by law that isn't boring to watch... That's the whole point. There are reasons the orgs make rules that aren't based solely on the law. They're based on what they feel is best in terms of competition for the anglers and spectators. KVD could technically sit with a bobber & plastic worm or even powerbait right now, and I guarantee if that out-performed a crankbait we'd be sitting there watching him stare at that thar bobber. Would you sign a petition to outlaw bobbers because they're boring even though they're legal? Bottom line is, there's no cut & dried way for them to make these rules. As mentioned elsewhere, it'd be exciting to watch 400+ yd drives in golf tournaments, but they still restrict the balls & clubs that can be used which to some extent stifles innovation.

elfish16
Posts: 978
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: Ventura

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby elfish16 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:23 pm

here's a very good question I have for everyone saying this rig is wrong and needs to be banned.

Why does nobody complain and ask for tournament directors to ban lures that are prototypes for pro staff guys only??? Don't you think something like that could have a HUGE advantage over the normal guy??? Yet all we do is jump on a ban this bait and technique bandwagon.

its just as bad as listening everyone whine about Tim Tebow this or that. Its cool to do so a lot do it. Makes me laugh...

just another holier than thou pissing fest.
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com

mike at robo
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 11:25 am

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby mike at robo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:03 pm

If KVD thought he could catch more fish with a bobber and a plastic worm or powerbait and win the tournament that's exactly what he would be doing . But it doesn't so he's not . And I agree with you that this is stifling innovation . Look , I'm not trying to get in a pissing match with anybody quite the contrary , this new technique could make for some really good tv and some amazing catches ! Anybody can fish this rig ! I don't understand what the big deal is ? I don't know who the pros are who are complaning but the ones I spoke to don't understand what the big deal is . The only thing I hear them complain about are the new electronics and how it takes the skill level of finding fish somewhat out of the game . BUT it's ok by the rules so that's that . I won't stop watching because they dont allow this technique . I did sent a message to Dave Precht at bass about this so I feel like I made myself heard by the authorities . If anybody would like to knock me off my soapbox please feel free to try but ... I got a real good lawyer and he works for worms .

eagle123777
Posts: 642
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: manteca, ca

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby eagle123777 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:28 pm

i have been a member of WB since 96 and threads like this make me wonder why bother any more...name calling behind a key board...big man...i dont know if a Arig takes skill or not and never will, but am I glad BASS banned it yes...why, with HDS showing u where the fish are u myswell be able to throw a net...now thats skill...just like throwin 3 hooks...
jack
usaf (ret)
triton 21x2

N.A.R
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:49 am

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby N.A.R » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:15 pm

Outside of the Kellogg Clown and #288 who else is the well known pros?

mac (Doyle McEwen)
Posts: 2755
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 9:39 am
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby mac (Doyle McEwen) » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:34 pm

must be some of the anonymous signers..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..

Mike Tuck
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 7:14 am
Contact:

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby Mike Tuck » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:20 pm

I'm not sure why that matters but since I copied and pasted it here, I'll include them to rest your curiosities

-randall tharp,Wayne Breazeale,Richard Thiel,Thomas Cardoza, Steve Ericksen, jason borofka, rich lowitzki, Clark Wendlant, Dave Lefebre', Hideki Maeda, Craig Dowling, Sondra Rankin, Chris Franks

and 74 Anonymous whom either had something to lose or didn't want to open themselves up to public scrutiny.

I very much appreciate all of those who are wiling to take a stand for what you feel is right or wrong. no matter if you want it in tournaments or not.

-Mike Tuck

Mike Tuck
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 7:14 am
Contact:

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby Mike Tuck » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:24 pm

Well I and most of the folks whose names you would recognize on the petition have spent plenty of time wrecking giant bags of bass with it and I promise you the success I have had with it has no bearing on my views on it not belonging in tournaments.

I want it out of tournaments for now for so many reasons that many of you haven't even considered yet.

Just go look at the list of guys from out here who signed the petition today. You can't tell me you really think they aren't catching them on them. Our success with it is actually one of the reasons we want it out of tournaments along with live bait, 2nd rod stamps, trolling, and jet drive aluminum boats. All of these are legal at the state level but not allowed in tournaments. How is it any different to those of you who say its legal lets do it? I'm still waiting on the first legitimate argument against this fact, or any for that matter.

reasons or motivation for not wanting it in competition.....
1. how entertaining will it be to watch bass or flw tv shows week after week seeing 10 different pros throwing A-rigs at what ever lake they are at? once is fine, twice is too much, and a 3rd time is going to get turned off in favor of a water polo game on espn 14.

2.Sure SOME tackle companies have a vested interest in the A-rig driving sales, some of my endorsements as well. It may actually cost me $ if it is banned. What about companies that don't sell swimbaits or jigheads for the rig??? probably going to see them suffer greatly when every tournament is won on this thing. And how again is driving up the cost of competitive fishing good for us(the competitors)???Now I need 30 packs of berkley hollow bellies a day instead of 2? and 10 boxes of jigheads in various sizes ? Hasn't everyone been complaining about the cost it takes to fish an event? maybe you've noticed the success of the FPT etc. $90.00 entry fee derby's in theses recent years of economic struggle? It makes perfect sense to make it more expensive.right?

3. Isn't tournament fishing supposed to be about trying to be the best angler who figures out the answers to the ever changing environmental conditions with this bait and that bait. It is something to be proud of when you best your peers on a given day by figuring out the fish. It's not quite the same endorsement when you see somebody catching them on whatever bait on whatever spot and you go to the same place the next day throwing the same thing and win. Plenty do it and it is wrong. By allowing the A-rig into derby's we are creating a atmosphere where your abilities and talents are less important to how you will finish an event than just putting one particular rig in the right place. I personally take great pride in trying to be the best angler at each event with all of the tools at our disposal. The A-rig should not be allowed because it is superior to all others techniques. Tournaments are getting closer and closer to becoming who is the best engineer or who is the first one with the next best bait that will beat all others, ( or at least the first to figure it out)or who finds a loophole in the rules that allows him or her to have an unfair advantage over the competition, at this event or that. I want to win with the system that is in place, not to win by outsmarting the system.

Every year tournaments are getting further and further away from what we should all enjoy about competition (what I just mentioned). It should always be about being the best angler on any given day. Not the best angler with the A-rig, or the best angler with a jet drive boat going into someplace no one else can get too, or being the pro who has some bait nobody else can get yet that the fish are stupid on. In tournaments we all need to first consider what is really at stake. I again know the power of this thing and I say right now that the A_rig will not only win every derby out here this year, but it will dominate in ways never seen. If you don't think there is a chance of that happening you are not paying attention.

4. It is a great technique for catching tons of fish and big fish at that. But for the long term effects on tournament fishing, its probably not a good idea to allow one rig that will dominate all others. If so I will have a ton of obsolete lures to sell...6 lb. line spinning rods, jigs, worms, hooks, weights, light action rods.....whats wrong with just enjoying it in recreational fishing with whom ever when it gets tough or you take someone out who doesn't have the skill set or mental where with all to throw a hudd for 8 hours to maybe get a bite?

5.Maybe it won't win EVERY derby out here this year, but it will only be because we weren't savvy enough to put it in front of the fish......ie fish are spawning and we're throwing it on deep vertical walls.... or they are down at 60' with the trout and we stay too shallow. However the more likely scenario is that someone will put the A-rig where it needs to be at each lake to blow the doors off the rest of the competition.

6. I'm no dummy. If it's allowed in tournaments I will throw it all day everyday. I'm not saying I'll win anything; I'm just conceding that its my only chance.

7. These are mostly just my opinions i have formed based on my own personal experiences, and I'm not trying to convert everyone to my way of thinking. This is just a view I feel very strongly about. I'll do my best to have the opinions of those whom will be adversely affected by the allowance of the rig in competitions heard by the masses.

8. What is unfortunate is that as with any addition or subtraction of controversial governing rules in any sport, the numbers of people with an opinion one way or the other but won't be directly affected by the outcome, FAR outweigh the numbers of individuals who may be affected. example Baseball fans probably don't think there is anything wrong with aluminum bats, greased balls, corked bats, steroids, small fields with balls that fly out of the yard; but for the select few that are fortunate to play the game they have concerns related to safety or fairness of the game or keeping the game to fairness to its athletes natural abilities.
-How about nascar fans... they probably feel like let them build the fastest lighest cars they can, but how do you think the 40-50 drivers or their families actually feel. I promise you their thoughts are more important than the fans.
-Hunters know the value of their quarry as a resource and understand why we don't hunt with dynamite and machine guns, but do you think their numbers outweigh those whom could care less??? Thank God for all of the wildlife resource agencies.
-Boxers with weighted gloves/..you can see where I'm going

Rules are necessary to protect certain aspects of a given sport and competitive fishing is no different.

Finally; the few anglers whom are affected most by this for many reasons, are unified with one idea that comes first in competitive angling.....we agree with all rules that add to the importance of ones own skills as an angler. It's not the other way around, nor should it be.

P.S. The best anglers out there will still elevate above the competition with the A-rig but...as a whole we will have done more bad than good. I REALLY want to hear the views of Ray Scott and the likes of him and so many other pioneers who created many of the rules we use today to keep the sport fair and responsible.

- Mike Tuck

ACP
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:52 am

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby ACP » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:36 pm

[quote="Jason Borofka"]Bottom line is we don't hunt deer with a machine gun so why fish tournaments with an a rig![/quote]

No but you can with a semi-auto, Is that fair? If it's legal on the particular body of water why shouldn't it be legal to use in the tournament? If everyone can use it the playing field is even & you'll see the same anglers rise to the top that always do. If everyone want's to make thing fair anglers shouldn't be allowed to fish prototype lures that aren't available to everyone.

The only way to level the playing field is to have a rule stating "Only tackle that is available to every angler entered in the tournament can be used."

Sorry to say but the playing field will never be level!!!

davet.
Posts: 602
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 1:33 pm
Location: Sacramento
Contact:

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby davet. » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:58 pm

I think you're all over reacting.
I realize I submitted a very convincing video recently and I've been pounding that rig hard ever since, and I can tell one thing for sure, it aint consistent at all. Some days you can load the boat, then the next, you struggle for a bite or 2.
On those days, I've done better on a dropshot.
I'll pull the A rig thru a spot for nothing, look at the graph stacked with fish, let out a dropshot, boom, 3 pounder. And I know damn well that fish saw my A rig swim right thru.
Just like any other innovative technique or device that comes thru every few years. Everyone freaks out, fishes it to death, the hoopla dies out, everything goes back to normal. The few skilled still make the cut, the rest.....don't.
By the way, what does a bunch of names on a piece of paper accomplish?
There's like 50 different orgs and hundreds of clubs. Whatcha gonna do with it? Just wave it in the wind and hope the "power" of names blows downwind and influences every angler that breathes the atomic particles??
I don't get it.
www.powerskoop.com
....it aint rocket science!

davet.
Posts: 602
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 1:33 pm
Location: Sacramento
Contact:

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby davet. » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:01 pm

ACP wrote:
Jason Borofka wrote:Bottom line is we don't hunt deer with a machine gun so why fish tournaments with an a rig!


No but you can with a semi-auto, Is that fair? If it's legal on the particular body of water why shouldn't it be legal to use in the tournament? If everyone can use it the playing field is even & you'll see the same anglers rise to the top that always do. If everyone want's to make thing fair anglers shouldn't be allowed to fish prototype lures that aren't available to everyone.

The only way to level the playing field is to have a rule stating "Only tackle that is available to every angler entered in the tournament can be used."

Sorry to say but the playing field will never be level!!!


This is true. Back in the day all the factory motocross riders rode hand made $80K machines. The independents never stood a chance, til they changed the rules that the factory rider could no longer use anything that was out of reach of other riders.
www.powerskoop.com

....it aint rocket science!

Mike Tuck
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 7:14 am
Contact:

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby Mike Tuck » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:12 pm

ACP wrote:
Jason Borofka wrote:Bottom line is we don't hunt deer with a machine gun so why fish tournaments with an a rig!


No but you can with a semi-auto, Is that fair? If it's legal on the particular body of water why shouldn't it be legal to use in the tournament? ( for the same reasons we cant use a second rod stamp, live bait, and trolling) If everyone can use it the playing field is even & you'll see the same anglers rise to the top that always do. If everyone want's to make thing fair anglers shouldn't be allowed to fish prototype lures that aren't available to everyone. ( no problem with that here)

The only way to level the playing field is to have a rule stating "Only tackle that is available to every angler entered in the tournament can be used." ( no problem with that here)

Sorry to say but the playing field will never be level!!!
I hope you are wrong

ACP
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:52 am

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby ACP » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:22 pm

I would love to be wrong but as it stands I 100% correct. If it were to ever change I would get back into fishing tournaments again.

NitroSport
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby NitroSport » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:23 pm

davet. wrote:By the way, what does a bunch of names on a piece of paper accomplish?


Anyone who uses BofA or who lives in America want to answer that for him?

ACP
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:52 am

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby ACP » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:40 pm

I just looked at the names on the petition & from what I see it has way to many anonymous signatures & I see very few top name pros from B.A.S.S., FLW, & even our top western pros haven't signed yet. :?:

Tobey
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:20 am
Location: Concord

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby Tobey » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:43 pm

I have to say that I agree with the new BASS rule of one rod, one reel, one bait. Tournaments should be a test of the anglers skill and the a-rig takes a lot of the anglers skill out of the equation just as live bait does.

Ron

N.A.R
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:49 am

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby N.A.R » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:05 pm

Mike your defiantly passionate about this topic, good luck.....

Kevin
Posts: 1885
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 10:52 pm

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby Kevin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:14 pm

Just my thoughts here but I truly believe the A-Rig will end up kickin a@@ for a year or so. The fish will get conditioned to it and will not eat it like they do now. Remember how good the Daiwa TD Minnow once was? How about how good the Huddleston swimbait was when it first came out? I think the a-Rig is pretty cool and should be allowed.
PS: Hey Al, nice smackdown on Pete. :twisted:

Steve Reed
Posts: 701
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:23 am
Location: Rohnert Park

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby Steve Reed » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:25 pm

All lures and techniques evolve to become more effective.

This Alabama Rig thing has really opened my eyes to how unsporting bass fishing has become. Why stop at the Alabama Rig? Lets get a good list going of things we can petition for. Feel free to add to this list:

-Hooks shouldn't have barbs on hooks because once a fish eats the bait its too easy to keep them on.
-There shouldn't be stinger hooks allowed because its a modification that gives an advantage.
-Depth finders and electronics are too advanced - anglers can see the fish, see the structure, understand how fish position to the bottom. We definitely need to make a rule against graphs - Its not sporting to see the fish and watch them eat a bait.
-Hydrowaves and biosonix emit fish attracting noising that make bass believe its feeding time. Ban them.
-Some baits have three treble hooks - thats not right. There should only be one hook allowed.
-Tungsten weights offer less disturbance and more feel.
-Fluorocarbon line is virtually invisible. Fish can't see the line, so they can't tell its an artificial presentation.
-Huddlestons are too realistic in appearance and action.
-Spinnerbaits have additional attraction added because of the blades. That's gotta be banned.
-Polarized sunglasses allow anglers to see fish better - we should really do something about that.
-Catching bass during the spawn - thats too easy, they'll eat anything. That's not difficult.
-Braided line allows you to put baits in places they should never be able to get to - that's not fair.
-Scent makes artificial lures smell real, like live bait.
-Graphite rods are too strong and too sensitive.
-Not everyone has access to the best tools because of financial constraints - lets give everyone the same gear to fish with. That's only fair.
-If anglers get to the spot first its theirs. We should put a time limit on one spot. That way everyone gets a chance.

Someone mentioned nascar - that's kinda interesting because in nascar the cars are all the same. What separates the guys who always come out on top from everyone else? You could say driver skill, pit skill, crew chief (they really ought to ban Chad Knaus he's too good). The variables. So that observation actually lends support to the Alabama Rig.

My entire argument against banning the Alabama Rig is simply that if its not one thing its another.

I am aware of all the reasons to ban it. But nobody has really made an argument other than its too effective and that's just not a good argument. If the argument is for only 1 hook I'm all for it. That's an idea with some merit. Lets only allow 1 hook (up to three hook points) per bait, treble or not. Then anglers could still use the Alabama Rig.
Monsterfishingtackle.com

davet.
Posts: 602
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 1:33 pm
Location: Sacramento
Contact:

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby davet. » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:57 pm

NitroSport wrote:
davet. wrote:By the way, what does a bunch of names on a piece of paper accomplish?


Anyone who uses BofA or who lives in America want to answer that for him?


Sure, when that piece of paper can sway congress or is required to initiate a new law, etc., but exactly what will it do for a bunch of fisherman. Exactly how and what? What governing or unionized body will it make a difference too? Still no answer.
Maybe a fraction of circuits will embrace it, but overall, it's dead on the floor.
www.powerskoop.com

....it aint rocket science!

User avatar
DanIsaac
Posts: 2173
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:25 pm

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby DanIsaac » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:03 pm

I don't really have a dog in this fight as I no longer fish derbies. However, I just have to ask. Really?
Keeping it FAIR and AFFORDABLE? Seriously?

With HDS Sidescan, GPS, PowerPoles, Hydro-waves, etc. etc. etc. AFFORDABLE, FAIR? For whom? Cedrtainly not the resource. I'm more concerned how effective this bait is and how potentially serious the risk is to a given fishery as a result.

As far as competing, if everyone is allowed to use the same rig, I don't see it as being any different than any other bait from that stand point. It will though, definately even the field......so whatever the Pro's competing decide is fine by me. It is after all their money on the line, but I ain't buying the FAIR, AFFORDABLE isssues.
Pucker factor, ok, I get it!

Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com

User avatar
sTony
Posts: 4574
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 10:07 pm
Location: Oakley, CA
Contact:

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby sTony » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:19 am

As Dan stated, I also don't have a dog in the fight either.

Bass will adapt, anglers will have to also to remain competitive in certain, likely most, situations. The rig doesn't work 'all the time and in all scenarios'. Seems maybe some folks wanna keep the status quo as that plays to their advantage and has for some time.

Fair? Is it fair when a pro-staffed angler makes a run of tournaments wins or money places using a lure that no one else in the field has access to besides himself and maybe a fellow pro-staffer? Happens all the time, yet I never hear complaints as loud as this for a rig that has been made available to many for a long time but only recently caught on.

Affordable? Really now, there is little that's truly affordable to all anglers on every financial level out there. It's become a sport of the have's VS. the have nots. And the have nots have to work many times harder to keep pace. I'd be more concerned about where this is ALL leading to and how the sport is being passed on to future generations. Can our kids afford to play this game what with the high costs of darned near everything nowadays? There's a lot about the sport that has priced out the possibility of growing with new blood, unless that new blood has a silver spoon to start out with. Seems the price of everything has shot through the roof. Kids nowadays can more easily get involved in many other sports and activities at much less cost and they will undoubtedly do so. Over time, we might not have very many young anglers breaking in to the sport and that's not a good deal for anyone or any fishing business.

There are many other aspects of the sport that need serious re-evaluation, especially in California. This is really a rather minor point to get your panties in a bunch about. I would think that given that 99% of the population could care less about what happens in the sport of tournament bass fishing would be cause for greater concern. Most anglers I grew up with have, frankly, moved on. That should also be of larger concern. I count myself amongst them now, cause this sort of drama is truly just bogus and numbing after a while.

Debate is great. Name calling and such is really just character revealing. Lord knows, you're not all going to agree on anything, but can you can man up and agree to disagree and still be relatively cordial to each other.

Sorry for the long winded rant, I'll crawl back to my corner now and watch you guys tear each other apart, maybe. Actually, tuning it all out is much easier.

sTony

User avatar
bryanmc
Posts: 784
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 6:32 am
Location: Lake Fork, TX

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby bryanmc » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:57 am

Exactly who is Dave Lefebre going to present this petition to? It would seem that it would have to go to every tournament organization, who will then have to determine how many of their members actually signed it. If the orgs are concerned one way or the other, perhaps they should poll their members.

This oh so important petition has garnered at the time of this writing, 449 signatures in just over 3 months. Want to break that down to a percentage of bass tournament fishermen in the US?

User avatar
TeamBeefmaster
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:02 pm
Location: Castaic

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby TeamBeefmaster » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:38 am

What about a drop shot rig with 3 baits????? Or the "double/triple whammy" (jig with a drop shot or two?)

mike at robo
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 11:25 am

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby mike at robo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:36 am

Banning a lure because it catches to many fish ? Kind if just rolls of the tounge doesn't it . In my 40 years of bass fishing this is without the stupidest most ignorant backward minded thing that anybody has ever come up with ! I honestly cannot CANNOT !!!! Think of even one reason to ban a lure that catches fish !!!! Mind you I'm not saying to many fish , I'm saying fish . One or one hundred it doesn't matter ! There is not and never will be an arguement that can be made in defense of this and these pros who have sighed this petition could you please let me know just how many fish is to many to catch a day in a tournament . I will adjust the fish catching ability of our baits and colors to your liking . A pie chart would rather nice ....... Nut up or shut up.

BigJeff
Posts: 356
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:23 am

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby BigJeff » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:15 am

mike at robo wrote:Banning a lure because it catches to many fish ? Kind if just rolls of the tounge doesn't it . In my 40 years of bass fishing this is without the stupidest most ignorant backward minded thing that anybody has ever come up with ! I honestly cannot CANNOT !!!! Think of even one reason to ban a lure that catches fish !!!! Mind you I'm not saying to many fish , I'm saying fish . One or one hundred it doesn't matter ! There is not and never will be an arguement that can be made in defense of this . If you think that this banning of a lure has any merit , then your either an idiot or a moron . Take your pick . I'll wait . Better make sure the next lure or color for that matter doesn't catch to many fish or they will be knocking on our door ready to string us up . Just stop this whole nonsense now so you can save face before it's too late . Either nut up or shut up .....

Being on the worm side, especially given the huge success Robo Worm has had with new colors and styles of worms, I'm sure you've seen your fair share of the next best thing only to have the fish get conditioned to it and then the next best thing (color, etc) comes out. We've seen so many innovative types of tackle the past 10 years that have made all of us go out and buy more tackle because we had to have the latest and greatest. Chatterbaits, BioSonic units, Huddlestons, Side Scan units, Power Poles, Bass Trix, etc, etc....and all of these have helped sell more product.

This is a poor decision to ban this bait. The best anglers are still going to win the tournaments. They may do so with something new and innovative, just like they've been doing since tournament fishing started. If that happens to be on an Alabama rig, so be it. But what great tv to see KVD tearing up the field on his Strike King Red Eye Lipless crankbaits fishing against Brauer flipping jigs up river, Rojas finding a pocket with his Spro frog collection, Velvick with his Rago swimbaits, Martens drop shotting Robo Worms....but no Alabama rig. It's real clear that this decision to ban the rig was not due to the effectiveness of the rig, but more to help the current crop of sponsors who manufacture other products.

I've watched a lot of the YouTube clips showing guys fish this Alabama rig and it has intrigued me to the point that I have bought several, including several hundred dollars worth of new swimbaits and jig heads. Why would anyone want to prevent that kind of business?

Kevin
Posts: 1885
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 10:52 pm

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby Kevin » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:05 am

Nut up or shut up


Love that quote!

Rick G
Posts: 2744
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 5:33 pm
Location: Anaheim, California
Contact:

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby Rick G » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:37 am

How many B.A.S.S. Elite series events has the A-Rig won?










Exactly my point. None. Dumb idea. Rick G.
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3

taka
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:51 pm
Location: Halibut Fisherman

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby taka » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:11 am

Maybe the trashfish should have been banned when one pro cleared the shelves at every tackle shop in Clearlake. Maybe side imaging should be banned because it takes the guess work out of identifying structure. Maybe the gps should be banned because you can get right back to the same spot. Maybe the power pole should be banned because it gives sight fisherman an advantage. Maybe the bxs box should be banned because KVD won a tournament using it. Maybe smelly jelly and hot sauce should be banned because they might get the fish to hold onto the bait longer. Maybe fluoro should be banned because the fish can't see it. Maybe Owner stingers should be banned because they are too sharp. Maybe prefishing with a guide should be banned because your not catching "your" fish. Maybe cash tournaments should be banned because they are a form of gambling. Maybe we should all fish from shore with red worms and a bobber. :roll: :wink:
Last edited by taka on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tobey
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:20 am
Location: Concord

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby Tobey » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:12 am

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I don't think having an opinion on either side of this issue makes one an idiot or a moron...I also don't think the A-rig creates an unfair advantage...everyone has the same opportunity to use or not use it. After using it myself I just don't think it is really all that sporting. I will continue to use it if it is allowed in tournaments but it wouldn't hurt my feelings all that much if it was relegated to fun fishing only like live bait and two rod stamps. Just my opinion :roll:

Ron

User avatar
Mike
Posts: 3887
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 2:01 pm

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby Mike » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:12 pm

Better ban the Senko too then...... It made "ok" fishermen good fishermen and took alot of skill out of catching fish.... Just Saying...
OG on WB since 1993

User avatar
Marty
Posts: 4333
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:04 pm
Location: Delta
Contact:

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby Marty » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:27 pm

I don’t know if it is ethical or Not but when it first came out I said another bait that is going to catch Anglers in the store. Now with this posting I know I’m going to go and get me one! I bet sales will go up this week because of this posting!
Image

mike at robo
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 11:25 am

Re: Ban the A-rig in tournaments petition. Some very well kn

Postby mike at robo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:32 pm

I keep hearing the word "sporting " thrown around . Now I ask ya , do you really think that a fish really gives a damn about how he just got this peice of steel impaled through his skull ? There is nothing sporting about it . I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue .....


Return to “Fishing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests