Texas Rigged Worm....?

jrsyrob

Texas Rigged Worm....?

Post by jrsyrob »

Hello all. I was just thinking about how I never fish a t-rigged worm anymore. About 20-years ago, my favorite bait was a Mister Twister 6" Phenom worm in black/red flake with an 1/8 oz. bullet weight, texas rigged using a straigh shank worm hook. I still fish worms today on shakey, wacky, drop/split shot, and dart heads. It seems however,whenever I'm throwing into cover, be it wood or weeds, I'm throwing some sort of creature bait like beavers, brush hogs, tubes, more compact baits.

I catch fish, so the old addage "don't fix what ain't broke" comes to mind. Just wondering on lakes like Camp Far West and Folsom, or in the Delta, does anyone throw a t-rigged worm and if so, when?

Thanks and tight lines~!

rob
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Re: Texas Rigged Worm....?

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

I learned to worm fish using a T-rigged Manns Jelly Worm, on the local ponds and lakes around the Naval base while stationed in Millington. Tn..My first catch was actually a 2 to 2 1/2 pound read ear sunfish..Over the years, it seems I use it less and less..It is almost to the point of not using it at all..The same with the C-rig..I cannot remember the last time I fished a Carolina rig..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

mac (Doyle McEwen) wrote:I learned to worm fish using a T-rigged Manns Jelly Worm, on the local ponds and lakes around the Naval base while stationed in Millington. Tn..My first catch was actually a 2 to 2 1/2 pound read ear sunfish..Over the years, it seems I use it less and less..It is almost to the point of not using it at all..The same with the C-rig..I cannot remember the last time I fished a Carolina rig..

mac
This is a method I'm trying to get back into using myself. Seems like over the past 5 years or I've slowly removed it from my arsenal. I've been fishing it a lot lately at my home lake and not getting bit although these fish aren't eating much but ultra finesse crap!

Over the 5 years its been my go to worming method at night during my night derbies fishing 10-18" worms but that's it. I need to get back into this a lot.

Now the C-rig, still a major staple of my fishing. I can't NOT fish it!
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
BigJeff

Post by BigJeff »

The Texas rig is deadly. There are so many variations with pegged weights, bobber stoppers, brass n glass, and then all of the different baits from straight tail finesse worms, paddle tail, curly tail, creature baits & craws. Typically the bites I'm getting on t-rigs are more aggressive and usually bigger fish, just not as many numbers as a drop shot gets.

This toad was caught on a texas rig. It works year round. I'm sure most of the guys here have one rigged up most of the year.
http://kramergonefishing.com/2011/11/28 ... -new-name/
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

They banned all rigs named after states. Copywrite infringement. But rigs named after providences or contain the term fairy wand are still good to go.
LL
Elliv

Post by Elliv »

worm in black/red flake
Sorry for the offtopic, but I am just (linguistically) curious: why do you call it "flake" when the thing imitates a worm, not a fish?
eagle123777

Post by eagle123777 »

jrsyrob wrote:Hello all. I was just thinking about how I never fish a t-rigged worm anymore. About 20-years ago, my favorite bait was a Mister Twister 6" Phenom worm in black/red flake with an 1/8 oz. bullet weight, texas rigged using a straigh shank worm hook. I still fish worms today on shakey, wacky, drop/split shot, and dart heads. It seems however,whenever I'm throwing into cover, be it wood or weeds, I'm throwing some sort of creature bait like beavers, brush hogs, tubes, more compact baits.

I catch fish, so the old addage "don't fix what ain't broke" comes to mind. Just wondering on lakes like Camp Far West and Folsom, or in the Delta, does anyone throw a t-rigged worm and if so, when?

Thanks and tight lines~!

rob
always have one tied on and use it every trip, along with weightless, carolina rig, dont even own a shakey or dart head and even though i do have a drop shot dont stay in one place long enough to use it..
jack
usaf (ret)
triton 21x2
Marty

Post by Marty »

I have a T-rig tied up and on the boat all the time. The only thing I have change from the past is I don’t use a toothpick anymore or lead bullet weight, instead I use a stop bobber and small tungsten weight with a 4/0 EWG. On the tungsten bullet weight I don’t paint I just slip on shrink tubing on the weight and heat and don’t have to worry about chipping. I also use the parasite bait keeper.

What is nice about this set up is I can move the stop bobber up the line and have a C-rig.

Come this March and April I will be switching from a 6” to 12 to 16” worm.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

The Texas rigged worm is like the jig & pig, it's lost it's identity. A Texas rig or T-rig; a bullet weight that slides freely on the line above the hook. Add a bobber stopper or peg the weight and it's a Florida rig and a variety of other local names. Add a bead between the sliding bullet sinker you have a doddle rig, etc.
Remember this bit of advice; night is right or spring up fall down; primes time for the Texas rig, doddled and skin hooked.
Why limit yourself to worms, creatures also work!
Tom
PS: Arkansas LMB record broken 28 Feb 2012 ; a T-rigged Manns Jelly worm; 16.5 lbs.