Powell ripbait rod

Sushi King

Powell ripbait rod

Post by Sushi King »

What is the best best Powell rod for throwing 100 pointer ripbaits?
Mike Tuck

Re: Powell ripbait rod

Post by Mike Tuck »

I use the 703 glass rod. It also works good for square bill cranks.

Mike Tuck
Sushi King

Post by Sushi King »

Hey Mike, Thanks for the reply I just got the 703 glass today the rod feels great i can't wait to throw some ripbaits. Thanks Sushi King
willfish

Post by willfish »

Totally agree with you mike on the 703. Another great rod to look at is the endurance 726cb, awesome for rip baits, spooks, and traps. Great all around rod for anything with trebles. :D :D

Willie Church
kam

Post by kam »

Youll be happy with that rod. I use mine for ripping,crankin,and small swimbaits. Enjoy
Keith Bryan

Post by Keith Bryan »

Hey guys those are excellent choices and thanks. May I suggest the Endurance 724 CB Glass/Composite--this rod is gaining tremendous momentum out there and has great lightness and responsiveness. It’s a bit lighter in power than the Max 703 CB Glass and has the right makeup for Jerkbaits, little to midsized square bills, Ricos, and even spooks; it’s more than a technique specific rod so to speak, as most rods are.

Happy Trails,

Keith Bryan
biteme

Post by biteme »

Love my 703 for top water also.
zaldain

Post by zaldain »

Sushi,

I am a Pointer 100 throwing son of a gun and have a few suggestions for you:

First, make sure you are throwing that ripbait on a good quality fluorocarbon line. I prefer Seaguar Tatsu and Invisx. Then, depending on water clarity, match your rod to your line size.

At Clear Lake and the Delta with giant fish and some stained water, I like 15lb test Seaguar Invisx and a Powell Endurace 695 CB (the purple one). The much lighter, shorter 6'9" rod can be jerked, twitched, and ripped all day without fatigue. This set-up is also great when throwing 128's on our trout fed lakes.

On our deeper, clearer reservoirs and spotted bass lakes, I like my stand-by Powell Max 704 CB and 12lb Seaguar Invisx. This 7' rod allows you to cast that jerkbait a tad further and when used in conjunction with that thin 12lb line, you will reach that deeper pre-spawn depth. This set-up is also my go to Staycee rig.

I hope this helps and remember to chase that wind!

Chris Zaldain
KrazyBasstard

Post by KrazyBasstard »

The Powell 703 glass is the way to go. I also use this rod for small cranks like the wiggle wart and smaller square bills.