Dobyns talks about the umbrella rig at Oroville

WB Staff

Dobyns talks about the umbrella rig at Oroville

Post by WB Staff »

WesternBass.com caught up with Gary Dobyns after the Oroville tournament this weekend, here is what he had to say about fishing an umbrella rig.

A lot of guys think I’ve been throwin’ the A-rig at Oroville since the end of last year; but the truth is that I’ve only been doing it for about two weeks. Believe or not, that is the truth. Fishing it at this Oroville tournament really opened my eyes to it.

That thing is absolutely a fish catchin’ machine.

I am not against fishing it; but I am concerned over a couple of things that could happen by fishing it.

First, it scares me to think what could happen with it in the meat fishermen’s hands.

Secondly, I worry about the tournament anglers too. There are a lot of guys that are not die hard reaction fishermen; they’re wormin’ guys and they’re good at it. So what happens if the tournament wins are taken over by the umbrella rigs and to be competitive a guy has got to throw it.

There are guys that don’t want to throw it; but if they’re out of the game if they don’t, then why come out and fish a tournament.

Also, what about the guys that cannot throw it all day? We’ve got some very good, very competitive older anglers in our circuits that could no more throw an A rig all day than they could chuck a big Huddie all day. Are we going to lose them to the bait? What about dads that fish with their kids? I had Richard in there young and he couldn’t have thrown that rig all day in tournament. Will it make it so there are less youngsters coming out fishing teams than we already have?

We are struggling with our tournament numbers already, we don’t need anything else to reduce the guys that want to come and support the events.

It is hard to know the right thing. If you have tournaments that ban it and others that don’t, then you split the anglers and that just hurts the numbers. It will be just another thing to cause a decline in the numbers.

I know there are states that are looking at statewide bans on multi-lure rigs and that may be the easiest way to solve the issue, so anglers cannot complain about an organization or TD making the choice. It’s out of their hands and up to the state that have their fisheries in mind. I think that will be the best way to keep the unity among the anglers.

Don’t get me wrong, the rig is right in my wheelhouse. I’m a chuck and wind guy and it is effective.

I just don’t know if we can afford the effect it could have on our fisheries and our fishing circuits by using it.
Larry Hemphill

Great insight, Gary!

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I have not fished an A-rig yet and am not a tournament guy. I just wanted to compliment you on the points you have made in this thoughtful post. Bass techniques have come and gone - or have become permanent, but the A-rig is really a big deal. Guides will need to think these things through also.
ihookem

Re: Dobyns talks about the umbrella rig at Oroville

Post by ihookem »

I know personally of two tournament anglers that fish a lot of pro tournaments. Both decided not to fish the AC Pro event at oroville because they were not up to speed, or had not fished the A rig and did not want to compete with the guys throwing it. This coming weekend there is a tournament at Oroville, and again, I know two boats that will not enter due to the same curcumstances. They felt the did not want to go donate to the A rig domination. I only know a handful of tournament fisherman but I am sure these types of thoughts are going through others minds as well. As for me, I am going to learn how to throw it and compete. Knowing that most of this season will turn into a chuck and wind. 5 rods on deck, all with the a rig. maybe a drop shot rod just in case I see a good one down below while cruising.

Are there any other tournament organizations locally that have banned this thing?

How have the numbers been at the hook tournament since the banning?
Mike Tuck

Post by Mike Tuck »

Exactly!! Thank you for finding a way to articulate what I have been trying to say all along. It's awful hard to say something is bad for the greater good of tournaments, when you are having so much success throwing the thing. For now it seems everyone has drawn their proverbial "lines in the sand" so we are going to get what ever this deal brings. I guess its time to go launch the swimmer carrousel and break some records.

Mike Tuck
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

I just fished a tournament at Lake Casitas this past weekend the tournament was won on a combination of senkos and jigs. The top 4 teams were ALL using worms, jigs and senkos. My dad and I fished the A-rig all day along with a jig n worms to fill limits. We got 5th place and fished it ALL DAY LONG! Another team I know fished the A-rig solely all day and never weighed a fish.

Some places this might be a the cats meow, others it wont. Let it takes it course, use it or not, and if those people that want to win a worm and jig derby let them come down here then and fish. Because we are going to have to adapt to the bite...and the a-rig isn't the winning rig right now!
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com