My Powell rod broke

DeltaBound

My Powell rod broke

Post by DeltaBound »

Wondering if i should send it in for warranty or just buy another rod. I broke the rod on a hookset, caught the fish and it was a just a keeper. So, to understand the warranty I would have to send my rod in (pay for shipping) along with a check for 60.00?
Mike Tuck

Re: My Powell rod broke

Post by Mike Tuck »

If you like the rod then I would just follow the directions on the website. Send Keith a letter with what happened. He is more than fair and stands behind his products. There are ways to tell if the break was the result of a mfg.'s defect or if the rod had been damaged at some point along the way. (possibly not even by you) If it was defective I'm sure you will have your rod replaced. As a rod manufacturer ( or any product manufacturer) there are only so many variables you can control. Stuff happens along the way before and after the sale which falls outside of the controllable variables. I commend all of the various rod companies on trying to please their customers, because it is often a very touchy process.

I don't think you will find the same quality of rod anywhere for $60.00. Maybe look at the new Diesel series by Powell if you want a lower end rod that has the feel of the higher end stuff. The are great sticks without the more expensive hardware.

Also, just a side note, the more expensive the rods are (regardless of brand), the more care you should take when handling them. The higher performance components often times are more fragile. As fishermen we drive the mfg.'s to build lighter and more sensitive rods that also cast farther and have a stiffer backbone with a softer tip but won't break if I run over it with my trailer. I'm obviously going overboard, but you can see my point. Higher end rods just basically require a bit more care when it comes to handling them.

Good luck with your choice,

Mike Tuck
biteme

Post by biteme »

One thing for sure Keith knows how to take care of people. I love my Powell rods and wouldn't use anything else. Like mike said give them a call or a email and they will take care of you. You can also go to any Powell rod dealer and they will warranty it for you if they have it in stock.
TXRIGGED

Post by TXRIGGED »

Definitely call Keith at (415) 382-9745. I totally agree with Tuck, where on earth are you going to get a better rod for $60.

I am 100% Powell, have been for 5 years. One time I had a tip issue years ago and called Keith up, he answers his phone, he handled the situation that day, and I was with a replacement that next weekend. Excellent service.
DeltaBound

Post by DeltaBound »

I called the number and a woman with an british accent answered. I was told that I would have to ship the entire rod back to Powell in order for them to honor the warranty. That being said, I think once a rod is broken you should be able to cut the model number part off the rod and the broken pieces which would make the shipping cost much lower for the consumer due to the 60.00 charge on top of shipping charges you're back into it for 90.00 or so.
RipnRog

Post by RipnRog »

DeltaBound wrote:I called the number and a woman with an british accent answered. I was told that I would have to ship the entire rod back to Powell in order for them to honor the warranty. That being said, I think once a rod is broken you should be able to cut the model number part off the rod and the broken pieces which would make the shipping cost much lower for the consumer due to the 60.00 charge on top of shipping charges you're back into it for 90.00 or so.

things happen I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks back with a different brand rod.. I have had this rod for a couple of years but it decided to snap in half... the higher end rods are more brittle than the low end rods but way more sensitive.. I am just glad I can replace my 250 dollar rod for 60 bucks instead of having to buy a new one.
biteme

Post by biteme »

Did you not want to go to a Powell dealer? Someone that is local? If they have the same model in stock the will swap it out for the warranty fee.
DeltaBound

Post by DeltaBound »

I didn't know i could do that. If that's the case sure, I can stop by Turners and see if they will do that.
biteme

Post by biteme »

Aw you must have missed my post above. Ive never dealt with turners but local tackle shops around here have been great about warranty. Keep us posted.
Robchik

Post by Robchik »

Call the shop... They'll take good care of you. Keith is a cool dude and cares about the customers, no doubt!
http://www.robchik.com
bassman1975

Post by bassman1975 »

I agree! Powell rods are great rods. I own about 15 now and only buy Powell. Never had a problem with them. I have meet Keith a few times and he is an awesome guy and will take care of you. Do call Powell about getting a new rod.

Shawn