Electronics HELP ?

Jplamy

Electronics HELP ?

Post by Jplamy »

I have been out of the game for a little while and looking at getting new Electronics for my boat. Lowerance or Humminbird? I have done some reach and they seem to have both neg and positive things written. Looking for some feed back from both sides that used the new products. Mostly interested in Lowrance hds 7 and above models and same type models from Humminbird. What are you using both trolling motor and console? Thanks for any input .

Tight Lines
Jeff Lamy
mark poulson

Re: Electronics HELP ?

Post by mark poulson »

I have a Lowrance on the TM, and a Humminbird on the console.
The Humminbird is the 997, so it's five years+old, and the Lowrance is the HDS5, and is only 2 years old.
If I were buying new, I'd look at the newer Humminbird units. I know my Lowrance HD is sharper than my 997, but I'm guessing the new Humminbird units are sharper, too, and they come with built-in SI and Down Imaging capability. With Lowrance, you have to pop for another box, plus the cables to hook it all up.
I know there are lots of Lowrance guys out there who will swear up and down it beats Humminbird hands down, but I would say check both units out before you decide.
And don't take my, or anyone else's word for it. Do your homework and check them both. You're the one who's laying out the big bucks, not us keyboard jockeys.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Jeff C.

Post by Jeff C. »

I would definitely go Humminbird. Currently, I think the two brands are pretty even, but in the fall of this year Humminbird is coming out with an add on module that's a total game changer when it comes to side scanning. Check out this link:

http://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?categ ... t104588280

I'm totally bummed because I sunk about 4 grand into two Lowerance HD units last year, but if this new feature of Humminbird is as cool as it looks, I may have to sell off my Lowrance units at a big loss.
Jplamy

Post by Jplamy »

Thanks guys, jury is still out. Humminbird sounds good, I like that it is all inclusive not like Lowrance were you need to fork out more for structure scan. Still would love more insight on both, Help me

Thanks
Jeff
"You got a bite, hit him!"
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

I guess I must be blind, I'm just not seeing the big difference in cost. The latest Bass Pro Marine catalog has a Gen 2 Insight HDS 7 with LSS-1 for $1499.99 while the same catalog has an 898 Si Combo for $1499.99. There is a bit of a difference as you get bigger. The HDS 8 with LSS is $2199.99 while the 998 Si Combo is $1999.99 for a difference of $100 which I'm sure you can make up by shopping around. And with the Lowrance you can hook multiple units up to the box by just purchasing a single cable. Each brand has ups and downs but I really don't think cost is one of them.

NoCAL
Old dog

Post by Old dog »

I'm struggling too. I really need to upgrade. I know the base units are close in cost but I thought the big difference is the down imaging and side scan on the Low. units costs an additional 4-5 hundred more as a ad on. Little bit of bad math, $1,999.00 to $2,199.00 is $200. Man this sport is getting expensive. Electronics $4-6,000. Power poles $4,000.00 (2). $10-$20,000 rods, reels and tackle. Heck you still gotta get a boat. I should have stuck with golf. I could'a joined Castlewood for $40,000 but thought it was to expensive.
DAVE MOEN
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

Good point. I've been out of school for too long! It is $200 difference for the HDS8 vs the comparable bird unit. Once the LSS-2 comes out in April, I think people are going to have an even tougher time. The side scan photos from this new Lowrance unit are incredibly detailed. But either unit is good, you won't go wrong choosing either one. I know it's a struggle but if you don't have preconcieved notions, really just flip a coin. They are both that good.

NoCAL
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

Jplamy wrote:I have been out of the game for a little while and looking at getting new Electronics for my boat. Lowerance or Humminbird? I have done some reach and they seem to have both neg and positive things written. Looking for some feed back from both sides that used the new products. Mostly interested in Lowrance hds 7 and above models and same type models from Humminbird. What are you using both trolling motor and console? Thanks for any input .

Tight Lines
Jeff Lamy
Hi Jeff. I will start by saying I am sponsored by Humminbird so I am a little biased :).

One of the major differences has been spoken about a bit here already. Lowrance requires the LSS-2 while the Humminbird is fully self contained with Down Imaging and Side Imaging built in to the graphs. You can network the Humminbird with just a network cable. Perhaps the biggest advantage is that the new revolutionary 360 degree sonar about to come out from Humminbird will work with the new graphs.

In making your decision, keep in mind these key features and new capabilities. As a side note that only one person has taken me up on so far. If you live in Socal and buy new Humminbird graphs, I will show you how to use your graphs on your boat at a local lake here in the LA area.

Good luck!
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
Jplamy

Post by Jplamy »

Thanks guys all the info helps. Scott thanks for the invite but I'm up in nor-cal, near San Jose. I guess the best thing to do is go fishing with someone who has a Lowrance unit and then with someone with a Humminbird unit. Ok you fishing nuts who wants to take me out and show off their fish finders. I'll do my fare share of the cost for the day. Let's go fishing.
Contact me direct j.lamy@comcast.net
Thanks again
Jeff Lamy
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

I'll show you my Humminbird 1198... sitting on the bench after being removed for good.

Replaced by the best - Lowrance HDS 10. Lowrance is the best made, best functional and best supported, period.

I couldn't get anyone to assist when my SI went out (after a firmware upgrade no less) on my 1198 - no one around to be able to try swapping units for testing, and Humminbird wanted $500 up front to send the unit in. The unit flashed with that upgrade WITHOUT ISSUE, although the SI was useless since that point. Tried to flash to a down rev, still no luck. Tried to reflash with the latest... nothing. I know I'll never own another Humminbird again.

Very poor user interface also.

Test them both out at one of the dealers and you'll see clearly what the best choice would be.

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Oh - and I'm not sponsored by anyone, 'cept my wallet and my own personal experience!

Roger