Time to replace the batteries

Mike H

Time to replace the batteries

Post by Mike H »

First off, I did a search and it came back with well over 2,000 posts so I figured I'd ask here.

My batteries are starting to go out, they are about 5 years old so its expected. Now my question, while I would like to go with the Optimas I'm replacing all 4 batteries and thats a little costly so which battery would you suggest and why?
Mike Holbrook

http://bassnman.com
jloo283

Re: Time to replace the batteries

Post by jloo283 »

Well that leaves you with standard led-acid batteries. Some major brands immediately available for pick up are Walmart Everstart, Costco Kirkland, or Sears Die hard. I've got Costco ones for $84 each, right in the middle of the three price-wise but their 3 years return policy can't be beat. Quality and longevity wise, I expect about the same on all three.

James
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Can't beat the value on the Costco or Walmart replacements - I just had to replace my 36v system, as my trolling motor was nearly dead half way through the recent Nutcase (SORRY BRIAN!), and Brian suggested the Walmart Everstart Maxx Group 29 replacements so we ran over and picked them up. They were a bit more expensive than the standard marine batteries, but had an extended replacement warranty.

My batteries were the original AC Delco batteries that Anglers Marine had installed when I bought my boat, so they were about 6 years old and had served a long and useful life. Also, I believe it was only one that was really bad, as the other two still showed green indicators, so they are going to be on standby as emergency spares.

If you're looking online, Battery Mart has great prices - I recently got a replacement (AGM) for my Harley through them.

And don't forget about the site sponsors - I'm sure some of them can make you a great deal.

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

tunaman wrote:Can't beat the value on the Costco or Walmart replacements - I just had to replace my 36v system, as my trolling motor was nearly dead half way through the recent Nutcase (SORRY BRIAN!), and Brian suggested the Walmart Everstart Maxx Group 29 replacements so we ran over and picked them up. They were a bit more expensive than the standard marine batteries, but had an extended replacement warranty.

My batteries were the original AC Delco batteries that Anglers Marine had installed when I bought my boat, so they were about 6 years old and had served a long and useful life. Also, I believe it was only one that was really bad, as the other two still showed green indicators, so they are going to be on standby as emergency spares.

If you're looking online, Battery Mart has great prices - I recently got a replacement (AGM) for my Harley through them.

And don't forget about the site sponsors - I'm sure some of them can make you a great deal.

Roger
Been using Everstart Maxx batteries for the past 6 years. Good battery with a good warranty. Wal-mart is always open and up and down the state if they ever fail.
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
CN

Post by CN »

I asked the same question a couple of week's ago and was convinced to give the Optima blue top's a try. The price will scare the hell out of you, $212.00 each with core, but if they last a long time it beat's having to keep an eye on the water level. Plus I was replacing the Everstart's every three year's or so at 90.00 buck's anyway so it may be a trade off but time will tell I guess.

I was able to fish all day cranking so we used the heck out of trolling motor and they were as strong at the end of the day as when we started. I bought mine at an Interstate warehouse in Salinas and noticed they had the AC Delco's and the Kirkland there. Pallet's of them.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

My 2c; AGM no more battery problems for 5 yrs or more.
Tom
GW

Post by GW »

Wal Mart. I have been using the Everstart Marine Group 29's. I just had one bad and one with a weak cell so I pulled all three took them in and was back out in 10 min with 3 new batteries no cost. The ones I had were 18 mo warranty all the new ones are now 24 month No hassle no cost replacement.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I use the everstarts, I had a battery failure took it in and back on the water with a fresh battery - currently the 18 month warranty is good and wal mart is across the US.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
GW

Post by GW »

Ash,

If you have 18 Month you need to take them back before times up, they replaced all the Maxx series with a new 24 month warranty. Its the same battery so you will get an extra 6 months.
dwise

Post by dwise »

The batteries in my boat when I bought it used at the end of 2010 were Walmart Everstart Maxx Group 29's. The date on the batteries said 2009 and I'm still using them today. I just had the shop check my batteries and they said the batteries are good. So, I would say that Walmart batteries are pretty good considering I'm going on 4 years now. Although with my luck, just because I said that, they will probably take a dump this year. :?
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
Mike H

Post by Mike H »

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Mike Holbrook

http://bassnman.com