Batteries (Which is Best & Why)

Fisherofmen&fish

Batteries (Which is Best & Why)

Post by Fisherofmen&fish »

Which deep cycle batteries would you buy for Minn Kota 101 36 volt?

Hopefully, you guys can give me a variety of feed back, from Walmarts Everstart to Optim?

Thanks for the help.
ciressarg

Re: Batteries (Which is Best & Why)

Post by ciressarg »

Trojan lead acid group 27 a little expensive $170 ea. but by far the best lead acid Batteries I have ever used. I have never used Optima, they are also expensive at $200 a piece. Jay Luis service recommended Trojan to me years ago. He is a trolling motor tech, that had a long carrier as a Fork lift mechanic he knows his batteries.
Obi-Hub

Post by Obi-Hub »

I have always just run and replaced the ones that came in my Ranger 521 lead sled ... EverStarts. My boat turns 8 this year and I put in my fourth set of batteries last summer. I have never had any real problems with them. Bonus, I can replace the entire set for under 3 bills and they come with an 18 month warranty if I remember correctly ;)
~~~Gary "Obi-Hub" Collins
:mrgreen: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :mrgreen:
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

Hey Fish,
There have been several posts in the past on this subject and I'm sure will be several more for years to come. You can review past posts for information as well as what fellow anglers will provide to your direct post.. which is awesome!

Here is my experiance... I have used walmart (Everstarts) in one boat, trojans in another boat and Optima's currently. I personally had 1 problem with the Everstart battery, but replacement was easy. They are less expensive as well if you happen to be out of warranty. When I purchased my next boat, a 2004 Ranger it came with the trojans brand battery and I will say that they did last for about 3.5 years or so which was nice. At that time I started fishing more so had the boat out and batteries working... they were not too bad at all and we more expensive then the Everstarts back then anyway. The one major thing that I did not like, matter of fact hated was the maintenance that both of those batteries required. Topping off water levels due to boil out was a headache for me personally. I also did not like the fact that my compartment and garage would ofent times smell due to the leakage from the tops of the battery. If you did not get the cap on correctly, you would have to also deal with leakage when out on the water. Besides the maintenance of those two batteries, they seemed to take longer to charge and too me did not seem like they held a charge as well as what I now use. Which brings me to the Optima battery(which I have the same trolling motor as you)..now, these batteries as stated by others are more expensive for sure... but the attributes of the battery to me are worth it. They seem to charge fast, hold charges and stay very strong on the water, are totally maintenance free, no leakage concerns, they can be submerged in water and still work, can be stalled upside down if needed... 100% sealed battery and are lighter then many other batteries in the same class. The Optima Blue tops are really awesome and if you can afford them, I think you would be pleased. I personally know a few anglers that are going on 4 years on the Optima's and one of them fishes 4 days a week.. now that's putting those things to the test.
Also... if your available to be a volunteering boater for the Pro Teen Classic this weekend going out of Russo's... you will have a chance to win Optima Batteries of your choice... : )
Anyhow, good luck with your research... you will no doubt get a bunch of great information from folks on this topic for sure...

Good Fishing,
Randy
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
201Pro

Post by 201Pro »

I'll add to this by saying that I've had many batteries over the years ... used to love the series 31 of the Wally world brand, but now they're getting on up there price as well (~$90/ea) ... over the past couple of years, I've switched to Costco brand and have been very happy. I have a 36V Minn Kota motor and run the delta most of the time (1-3 days a week). For my starter battery, I'm using American Batteries that Walton's Pond sells for ~$100. They're also very good. My current boat is a little tight in space, that's why I use the Costco brand for the trolling motor. Otherwise, I'd probably use all American Batteries.

One note, I've personally have not had any experience with the Optima's ... but have had at least two friends who've used them. Just make sure they don't run down and you forget to charge them. I've been told that if you let it run down and not charge, they do not come back!! Besides the sticker shock, that's the other reason I've stayed away from them.

Trojan's are very good I'm told and have read ... but the price is double the Costco/American batteries. I should get 3-4 years on a set of batteries from my past experience. So these expensive batteries better last me TWICE as long ... ;)
Chris
=========================
2004 Ranger 521VX, ETEC250HO
8" Atlas Hydro Plate, 25p Tempest+
Hotfoot/ProTrim/4-bank Dual Pro
2x Blade Series Power Poles
Minn Kota Fortrex 112
Lowrance HDS12 Carbon & Gen3
=========================
bobperry

Post by bobperry »

Check out the Odyssey AGM deep cycle. We've run these in sheriff k9 cars for years with no problems. Same as the others as far as price but with these I believe you get your moneys worth. No water and vibration proof.