What are some good area's on the Delta?

Whistu

What are some good area's on the Delta?

Post by Whistu »

I habe slipped my boat at Ladd's and the only area i have any (basic) knoweledge of is Mildred. I was hoping I could get a few people to recommend some closer areas to learn. Ive fished 14 mile slough with limited success. Any help would be much appreciated :)
kraetzer

Re: What are some good area's on the Delta?

Post by kraetzer »

Give 14 mile another try -> holds some good fish. Also dissappointment and white slough a worth a shot.
Hope that helps, tight lines.
kraetzer

"I am ready to face any challenge that might be foolish enough to face me" - Dwight K. Schrute
Whistu

Post by Whistu »

Thanks for the response, I will have to give it another shot. From the lack of any other responses you'd think I was asking for peoples secret fishing holes lol
Dom

Post by Dom »

I have been fishing the delta for about 13 years but been fishing it hard for the last 4-5 years and I am in no way a stick I can go out and catch fish every outting I have learned that but still learning how to target them big fish say 8lbs and up. But I am slowly figuring that out as well but here is my advice , dont rule out any of the areas , If you failed in 14 mile then you need to spend more time find the honey holes and to do this fish it on all tides . I will pick a spot say like franks, old river or 14 mile and spend a year (season) fishing it check your tides Here is a great link http://deltaboating.com/tides/tidesj.html pay close attention to the time of year and what the tide is at for instant at 7:00 am its 1.7 on incoming ect.... Do this when you find success and write it down at the end of the season you will have lots of data on the certain spot your fishing . I keep water temp, weather , air temp. etc.... The following year you can go back to that day or around that time match the conditions and try what you tried last year.

After fishing the delta for years you will find you have consistant spots that you can catch fish and its a struggle but you will find spots that produce big fish the will be able to run the river and just say hey its summer, its hot, theres great current coming around that point with deep water drop and know on the right tide in the eddy the big girls will bite (HINT HINT) Or you will find some nice matts, etc... after you put in your time it will get easier and you wont have to keep such detailed logs. Everyone of these sticks on the Delta have put in countless hours on this river system and for guys like you and I we have to do the same :)

Hope this helps cause your NOT going to get guys coming on here giving up more then a genaric name like fish franks tract ,bishop, etc.. Your gonna have to put your time in and disect the areas as I mentioned above .

Tight Lines and Good Luck :)
Dom
Tight Lines Dom
Whistu

Post by Whistu »

Thanks Dom for taking the time to respond! I started fishing in Virginia, in reservoirs so this tide thing has been a pain. I'm not super new to the delta, just call me a slow learner lol. I've gone out several times this year, and have managed to catch fish everytime, even in 14 mile, just it's been a strange year with a TON of small fish and not so many of any size. I'm getting better as I'm able to spend more time on the water this year unlike the past years where I may have made it out 4 times in 4 seasons so it was hard to really learn. I do not expect anyone to give up honey holes, just generalizations and confirmation that 14 mile area is not a waste of my time. I look forward to spending years and years learning the Delta, it's an amazing fishery with a ton to offer, despite that it can be overwhelming thinking about currents, depth, tides, temperature, color, size, ect... :shock: :shock: :roll:

I am heading out there tomorrow morning and going to concentrate on 14 mile area and on punching and frogs.